Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Carbon seatpost recommendation

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Carbon seatpost recommendation

Old 04-25-22, 05:47 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by force10
Thanks for all that. Particularly the caveat about the length of exposed seatpost. I haven’t seen that mentioned before and it makes sense. I have about 5.5 inches exposed, which I guess will make for a pretty marginal improvement.
Yah, I'm gonna say this seat post will not be very effective for ya. I have a bike with 5" of exposed post and the CGR did nothing at all. With the Canyon, there is a bit of a lever arm going with the seat mounted behind the centerpoint to help the post flex, but its gotta have exposed tube to work well. I have 8" of post on my bike.

For you, a mechanical seat post might be best. Redshift or cane creek come to mind
https://canecreek.com/eesilk-details/
https://bikepacking.com/news/redshif...stop-seatpost/
Likes For chas58:
Old 04-25-22, 07:35 AM
bozzopi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Canyon S59, 20mm of suspension flex. it is a must on the gravel bike if you can afford one.
Old 04-25-22, 08:31 AM
chas58

Canyon S59, 20mm of suspension flex. it is a must on the gravel bike if you can afford one.
...and if you have enough exposed seat post to get that flex. 5.5" isn't really enough...

Last edited by chas58; 04-26-22 at 05:47 AM.
Old 04-25-22, 09:25 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Similar to base2 above, I got a Berk Dila saddle which is 105 grams after reading the positive reviews. First ride on it felt like I had put on a suspension seatpost! It's a lot of money for a saddle but not a lot more than some of the seatposts being considered. I also have a Schmolke seatpost to be mated to the Berk saddle whenever I get my new frame. I'm expecting it will be compliant like the Darimo post.
Old 04-29-22, 09:15 AM
Monkey Face

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2. Velo Orange Pass Hunter flat bar

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Parkyy16
I'm gonna be the odd one out; I haven't noticed significant comfort difference between aluminum and carbon seatposts on the same bike back to back...
I agree. Carbon seat posts are a waste of money, one of the many things that we've been led to believe we need, when we don't. Better 'compliance' can be had from tyres and saddles.

Last edited by Monkey Face; 04-29-22 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-29-22, 09:49 AM
chas58

I agree. Carbon seat posts are a waste of money, one of the many things that we've been led to believe we need, when we don't. Better 'compliance' can be had from tyres and saddles.
Interesting generalization, but you obviously have not used the seat post the OP was talking about. That thing is amazing. Yah, I have used tires and saddles, but there is only so far I can go with 40mm tires (and saddle - well that's not quite the same).

the Canyon post is amazing. I was super skeptical, and then super shocked with how well it works. But yeah, the rest of them are marginal.

Nothing wrong with some cush 40mm tires and then a seat post that make it feel like I'm on 2.25" tires. Its a beautiful thing.
Old 05-02-22, 12:21 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Personally, I find that the increase in cornering performance as well as overall stability with the suspension seatpost was even more noticeable than the increase in comfort itself. the design which moves back and down (effectively increasing saddle setback while pushing you "forward" when rebounding from a bump which works great on rough terrain when moving quickly.
Likes For Moisture:
Old 05-02-22, 06:56 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Monkey Face
I disagree, even a standard carbon seatpost (like the $40 Satori post I previously mentioned) takes a nice amount of buzz out of the saddle. No-brainer when a generic alloy post is $20.
Likes For zen_:
Old 05-04-22, 07:12 AM
chas58

yup, some take the buzz out (really nice when I am riding an aluminum frame) and some like the Canyon/Ergon go further and will absorb a lot of the chatter and bounciness I get from rough gravel and washboarding.
Old 05-04-22, 02:26 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by kj43
i have the superlogic link seatpost and it's great. Super light and just a hint of compliance to it. Pricey, but worth it. It has a 15mm setback. So does the wcs carbon link flexlogic seatpost which has the same compliance, a bit cheaper and a bit more weight.

I love ritchey stems and seatposts and have them on both of my bikes.
+1
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 05-04-22, 04:03 PM
Fletch1969

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lot of positive comments about the Thudbuster, aside from the weight. How about the new lighter eeSilk version, anyone with any experience with one?
Old 05-05-22, 07:00 AM
chas58

Originally Posted by Fletch1969
Lot of positive comments about the Thudbuster, aside from the weight. How about the new lighter eeSilk version, anyone with any experience with one?
Nope on the Thudbuster, but I'd guess it rides a lot like the Short throw, just with less total movement. That elastomer and parallax combo works well. Bonus points that you can tune it for your weight.
Old 05-09-22, 02:29 PM
Shawn1970

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
I've got a Cannondale (Hollowgram / Save discreetly branded) and whilst others have pointed out with these type of posts they do need a decent amount of post showing this one works well amd is certainly noticeable in use.
Old 05-09-22, 03:34 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
+1
+2
I have a Ritchey Flexlogic and a Superlogic. Love em both for the smoothness in the rear. I'm about 160lbs these days and the Flexlogic has about 7" sticking out FWIW.
Likes For DorkDisk: