Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Chainring Remodel - Stronglight 57 Content

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-13-22, 09:07 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,452 Times in 1,128 Posts

If this stuff wasn't so much fun I'd consider my self a little daft!

The early Stronglight cranks take unusuallysmall diameter chainring bolts, 7mm to be precise, with a 9.5mm counterbore. I'm in love with the Stronglight 57 Crankset on the late fifties Allegro that I'm taking to Cino this year, but I'm not so much in love with its 46-tooth small ring coupled with the maximum 28-tooth cog that the Record rear derailleur can handle. I've been looking for a smaller ring with the old small bore for about a year now, with no luck. Cino is just around the corner so necessity is my mother.

I'm pretty sure that, around the time that Stronglight increased the bolt size on their chainrings, anyone running an older crank just bored out the bolt holes to the larger size, but I'm inordinately proud of this old crankset and don't want to remodel it. My solution is to make a chainring out of another 38-tooth ring with a smaller bolt center diameter. I'll drill new holes to accommodate the smaller bolts.

First step was to use a centering punch to transfer the bolt hole locations from an old chainring to the new one. Living in the land of inches and feet, a 7mm centering punch was not readily available so I wrapped some electrical tape around a 17/64" punch to bring it up to size.

I used my old Regina freewheel vise to hold the chainring in the drill vise while drilling the 7mm holes.

First quality control test passed!

Next step was to counterbore the back side of the chainring. Again, no 9.5mm counterbore easily available but 3/8" is very close. Since my tooling is crude and I have no milling machine or rotary table I used a counterbore with an interchangeable pilot to make sure everything was concentric.

This time the electrical tape around the undersized pilot was a failure: It just tore when spinning in the hole. Fortunately, carefully eyeballing each hole was accurate enough.

Holes finished, I now needed to cut down the chainring to its new size. I scribed the cut lines with a scratch awl and a divider with a pencil lead tip.

...Continued below.
Brent

Last edited by obrentharris; 06-13-22 at 09:36 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-13-22, 09:24 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

although obrentharris is a pretty full name we may have to figger out how to add a Verot in there somewheres...

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 06-13-22, 09:32 PM
obrentharris 

The old chainring provided a template for the shape of the new one. A 1/8" drill provided a radius at the corners.

Uh oh! See that extra hole on the left side of the photo? Yep, I drilled on the wrong side of the line. I guess we call this a working prototype now.

This is a good time for me to point out that I am not a professional metal worker, or even an educated amateur. The steps I am outlining here are only the best method I could invent given my lack of tools and training. I would be grateful for any critique of my methods.

I used a jewelers saw to make my rough cuts, always cutting a little short of the line, then cleaned up my work with a file while test fitting to the crank.

After insuring a snug fit on the crank spider I finished up the rough cuts. Rough indeed!

I cleaned up my cuts with a variety of files.

Some sanding and polishing eliminated the brushed finish of the new chainring.

In hindsite I should have cut the web between the holes a bit thinner to better match the big chainring, but I am still fairly pleased with the result.

Brent
Old 06-13-22, 09:47 PM
juvela

-----

one takes this project to mean that ye shall plan to be accompanied to Cino by a certain migrant from Neuchatel

-----
Old 06-13-22, 09:52 PM
obrentharris 

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

one takes this project to mean that ye shall plan to be accompanied to Cino by a certain migrant from Neuchatel

-----
Indeed!

Brent
Old 06-14-22, 02:16 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 781 Posts
Tap that hole, put a bit of aluminium screw through, just long enough to go through and let you peen both ends. You do that enough to distort the threads below the surfaces of the hole (so the bit will stay put), file/sand the ends flush and burnish.

Last edited by oneclick; 06-14-22 at 12:57 PM.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 06-14-22, 05:15 AM
juvela

-----

one point not mentioned in this very fine account is that the modern "donor" chainwheel probably has its dentition cut from both sides of the stock while Verot chainwheels of this era had their dentition cut from one side only

if this is the case with the donor chainwheel the distance between the chainwheel teeth in this two plateau configuration will have been increased from the OEM configuration

a state of affairs which opens the possibility for derailments where the chain is wedged between the chainwheels

Verot ceased the practice of cutting chainwheel teeth from one side of the stock only with the 1977 launch of models 104 and 105

-----

Last edited by juvela; 06-14-22 at 09:38 AM. Reason: addition
Likes For juvela:
Old 06-14-22, 05:24 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,656 Times in 1,677 Posts
Inspiring.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 06-14-22, 06:28 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,363 Times in 888 Posts
Where there’s a will, there’s a way.
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 06-14-22, 07:03 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 2,183 Times in 960 Posts
Exceptionally well executed! I made a similar modification a few years ago. I added a granny chainring to a Nevar double crankset. But after careful planning, I recruited a machinist to complete the bolt hole drilling. I just didn't trust my skills. My hat's off to you!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 06-14-22, 07:28 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 399 Posts
Not familiar with model 57 (looks like a cross between 49 & 93, but [49+93]/2 is 71, so I am wrong), but I like how the results look!

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 06-14-22, 08:51 AM
obrentharris 

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

one point not mentioned in this very fine account is that the modern "donor" chainwheel probably has its dentition cut from both sides of the stock while Verot chainwheels of this era had their dentition cut from one side only

if this is the case with the donor chainwheel the distance between the chainwheel teeth in this two plateau configuration will have been increased from the OEM configuration

a state of affairs which opens the possibility for derailments where the chain is wedged between the chainwheels

Verot ceased the practice of cutting chainwheel teeth from one side of the stock only with the launch of models 104 and 105

-----
My obstinacy in refusing to use newer, narrower chains on this old bike seems to be working in my favor here. Also the donor chainring had a deeper cut on one side than the other, so I put the shallower cut towards the big chainring. It all works fine on the repair stand but today's test ride will be the proof of the pudding.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 06-14-22, 08:44 PM
obrentharris 

Today's 30 mile shakedown cruise was a success, lots of back and forth between the two chainwheels and it never missed a shift. A beautiful day for a ride too!

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 06-14-22, 08:59 PM
juvela

-----

Maitre Jacques powering his Carre built Helyett with a LVII from Verot -

-----
Likes For juvela: