Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

E bikes

Old 07-06-22, 07:36 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Climbing up the Historic Highway to Crown Point yesterday, I noticed two bikes behind about halfway up, and was a little surprised they didn't pass me. At 210 lbs in my 7th decade I'm no climber, and typically get passed when other cyclists are going up. On the steepest ramps they fell back quite a bit. Unusual. I was taking a pic at the overlook when they arrived, and I was shocked to see two ebikes. Unless their batteries were dead or they had the assist turned down, I don't see how they were getting much of a workout.

​​​​​​Even on an overcast day, the gorge is stunning no matter how you get there.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 07-06-22, 07:39 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
if they are hub drives they dont climb the best.
Old 07-06-22, 09:10 PM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Bikes: ItalVega, Guerciotti SLX, Litespeed T1, Oma Fiets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jdogg111
I'm seeing a ton of e bikes on our local greenways lately, and it not just old geezers like me . Lots of folks that look to b in their 40s and even 30s. At a rest stop recently, I asked an older gent if I could lift his bike, I just wanted a sense of the weight. Goodness it had to be at least 40 lbs or more. Seems like a light 20 lb bike would be as easy to ride as that bad boy is, but what do I know, they pass me like I'm standing still. My question is , are they getting a good workout?
This.....perhaps it will answer your question:
Old 07-07-22, 08:37 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
my ebike is human powered it will not move unless I put effort into peddling.
Unless you don't use the pedal assist at all...You are putting in much less effort than the rest of us on human powered bikes. I have yet to see an e-biker huffing and puffing after doing a hill climb on either road or mountain bike.

on a regular bike you can only choose that by speed the faster you go the more you have to work. I can work the same amount at 4 different speeds I am not stuck at whatever speed my energy allows.
If you can work the same amount on an e-bike why not just ride a regular bike instead?
Old 07-07-22, 09:52 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Unless you don't use the pedal assist at all...You are putting in much less effort than the rest of us on human powered bikes. I have yet to see an e-biker huffing and puffing after doing a hill climb on either road or mountain bike.

If you can work the same amount on an e-bike why not just ride a regular bike instead?
one could ask many variations of this question, all equally silly because there are so many different riders and different circumstances in which “ability to do a lot of work” is not the primary criteria. if you can work the same amount on a fixie, why have gears?

your first statement is entirely up to the rider, within reason. i have thousands of miles of ride data with power and heart rate for my two road bikes, one with assist, one without, and i can assure you that i “work” equally hard on either, whether the assist is on or off. with a torque sensor mid-drive, you HAVE to pedal hard to get it to the full power output. i rarely ride the e-bike purely for pleasure any more, but there are times when it makes a daunting ride possible, gives me an extra layer of security in hilly, remote areas (i have a heart condition and my limits are hard limits), makes a hilly commute more palatable after a very long day, or, frankly, is just a lot of fun.

some people ride for fun, some for exercise, some to see the sights, some to get places… in my book, more people on bikes is better, and the majority of quality e-bikes out here are highly compatible with unassisted bikes on the same roads and bike lanes. there are exceptions (the 1000w + throttle bikes which are basically mopeds) but there are always exceptions, and ebikes are hardly the biggest hassle for a cyclist.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-07-22, 10:13 AM
fooferdoggie 

U
because its more fun. I am not stuck at the slower speeds that I am capable of. I can carry a load without the speed penalty. because I can go faster I can go farther so i can get to more places. if I could go 22mph on my own power then I would not need an e bike. I can climb hills that would be impossible for me. when I had a regular bike i would maybe do 100 miles a week on my e bikes I do 230 miles a week.
Old 07-07-22, 12:23 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by mschwett
in my book, more people on bikes is better, and the majority of quality e-bikes out here are highly compatible with unassisted bikes on the same roads and bike lanes.
Yeah I don't know. The 65 miles I did on the rail trail this past weekend...it was congested in spots due to the fact that people that would not otherwise be riding are out there now riding e-bikes...without helmets, passing people on human powered bikes, lacking etiquette in general. More is not always better.
Old 07-07-22, 12:23 PM
prj71

because its more fun. I am not stuck at the slower speeds that I am capable of. I can carry a load without the speed penalty. because I can go faster I can go farther so i can get to more places. if I could go 22mph on my own power then I would not need an e bike. I can climb hills that would be impossible for me. when I had a regular bike i would maybe do 100 miles a week on my e bikes I do 230 miles a week.
So faster and farther with less effort.
Old 07-07-22, 01:02 PM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Bikes: ItalVega, Guerciotti SLX, Litespeed T1, Oma Fiets

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Yeah I don't know. The 65 miles I did on the rail trail this past weekend...it was congested in spots due to the fact that people that would not otherwise be riding are out there now riding e-bikes...without helmets, passing people on human powered bikes, lacking etiquette in general. More is not always better.
You must be refering to these folks:
"There is a large segment of American society that likes the side benefits of exercise like a change of scenery and sunshine but do not want the exertion that goes with it.
I see e-bikes filling that need. There are a few exceptions like injured athletes that need an assist during recovery."
On our So Cal MUPs it seems like 1/2 the bikes are of the ebike variety, most being ridden to have fun, not fittness.
Old 07-07-22, 01:21 PM
prj71

Yup. There has been a shift over the past 20 years to a society that's wants instant gratification without having to work for it.
Old 07-07-22, 02:00 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
I call "e-bikes:" mopeds, because that is what they actually are, they have no more relation to a real bicycle than the pedal-start board-track racing motorcycles of the WWI era.

They are no more bicycles than an "e-cigarette" is a cigarette. They do not belong at bicycle gatherings or at bicycle rides, they belong at events and gatherings for motor vehicles, maybe the Harley-dominated poker-run.

If I ever smell that an moped rider believes they have anything to do with human-powered bicycling, an effort should be made to correct their thinking. I am sure they are forums for motorcycles with sections for so-called "e-bikes", and there are internet forums specific to gasoline powered mopeds and scooters, that is where the e-biker and their over-priced trendy, fashioable POS belong.
I did not build and e bike as an exercise machine. I get plenty of exercise doing other things. My bike is cadence sensed and heavy as dog snot with high rolling resistance and high windage. With me and the dog on it, I am well over 300 pounds rolling on knobby 4.8" Maxxis FBF and FBR tires. I really don't need the bell much as people can hear me coming on a bike path.

So, how do I ride it? For one, I pedal it. I don't want to get stiff. I am in no hurry and ride at speeds that seem safe for the path. I slow way down to pass people and might even take to the lawn or dirt. I slow down because I have a cadence sensed bike and have zero difficulty getting it back up to speed again. I never did that on a regular bike. The big heavy bike is easy to balance at walking speeds and I drop the seat post so I can touch down if needed and use the throttle for better balance. I will stop at stop signs for the same reason, do you?

The problem with much of society today is that they love to blame the tool or the object and not the person operating the tool or object. We have lost our sense of decency and honor by blaming stuff instead of people. You will never solve problems by blaming stuff instead of people. Your efforts will only restrict your own freedom.
Likes For KPREN:
Old 07-07-22, 02:06 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Want to avoid e-bikes? Ride in the hills/mtns.
I rarely see them in my local hills unless it is a higher powered e-motorcycle going to the dirt trails.
Go to the flat beach areas and it is crowded with e-bikes.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 07-07-22, 02:47 PM
fooferdoggie 

faster and farther with the amount of effort I can usually put out. myself My body is wonky and I cant eat any carbs and my body only seems to use protein for fuel so don't have the same energy levels as others have. I tend to only burn around 400 to 500 calories a hour.
Old 07-07-22, 02:50 PM
fooferdoggie 

faster and farther with the amount of effort I can usually put out. myself My body is wonky and I cant eat any carbs and my body only seems to use protein for fuel so don't have the same energy levels as others have. I tend to only burn around 400 to 500 calories a hour.
I enjoy the exercise while biking. I get to wear I need to go and get exercise too. my wife lost a fair amount of weight riding on our e tandem.
Old 07-07-22, 02:52 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I rarely see them in my local hills unless it is a higher powered e-motorcycle going to the dirt trails.
no I enjoy hills now. we have lots of 18% grades around here. I have one ride thats 900 feet of climbing in 2 miles the last part is 22% grade.
Old 07-07-22, 03:22 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
no I enjoy hills now. we have lots of 18% grades around here. I have one ride thats 900 feet of climbing in 2 miles the last part is 22% grade.
You do realize that you can conquer those hills without a motor?
If you are riding them with the extra weight from a motor/battery, you are likely able to get over the hump under your own power.
Old 07-07-22, 05:09 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

If you are riding them with the extra weight from a motor/battery, you are likely able to get over the hump under your own power.
You apparently bike is a small circle of very competent triends. . Do you honestly know that he could do those hills without power? Foofer's not exactly the model athlete of power and endurance. . I can't do a 22% grade without power. I am not sure I could push a bike up a 22% grade.
Old 07-07-22, 06:34 PM
fooferdoggie 

yes I can at a few mph like I used to on my recumbent. but I much rather put out 450 watts and climb it at 10mph. some of those hills will get my heart rate at 160. thats far more fun then going up them in granny gear.
Old 07-07-22, 08:07 PM
KPREN

yes I can at a few mph like I used to on my recumbent. but I much rather put out 450 watts and climb it at 10mph. some of those hills will get my heart rate at 160. thats far more fun then going up them in granny gear.
you must be doing a lot better than you were.
Old 07-07-22, 08:29 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by KPREN
you must be doing a lot better than you were.
when I road my recumbent I was really sick. I was fairly sick when I got my ebike and I could not put any effort into it. all I could do was spin. took me 5 months before I was feeling better and could start putting effort into it. my body is strange and it only burns protein for energy and aim finding I need to eat a lot more protein to be able to work harder at riding. some days I am lucky and put out 100 watts average my best was 200 watt average. usually its around the middle when I am feeling good. I now for dinner have a scoop of plain egg whites and 1 pound of say 16% hamburger or ground pork. this is working pretty well and I have had more energy the last few days. the is my riding today it is a little more odd went to a doctors appointment and worked even harder then usual and the lat one is the ridden the tandem with my wife.

Old 07-07-22, 09:12 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by jdogg111
I'm seeing a ton of e bikes on our local greenways lately, and it not just old geezers like me . Lots of folks that look to b in their 40s and even 30s. At a rest stop recently, I asked an older gent if I could lift his bike, I just wanted a sense of the weight. Goodness it had to be at least 40 lbs or more. Seems like a light 20 lb bike would be as easy to ride as that bad boy is, but what do I know, they pass me like I'm standing still. My question is , are they getting a good workout?
The question isn't "are they getting a good workout." The question is.. are they getting more of a workout (due to riding an e-bike) than they otherwise would be getting?
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 07-07-22, 09:13 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by one4smoke
The question isn't "are they getting a good workout." The question is.. are they getting more of a workout (due to riding an e-bike) than they otherwise would be getting?
for me yep. but for the guy in front of me only using throttle and going too fast on the path nope.
Old 07-08-22, 09:28 AM
prj71

Well my ride this past weekend was just a couples ride. Wanted something easy so 65 miles of rail trail it was.

Otherwise I road bike ride, mountain bike ride and fat bike ride in the winter...And I rarely if at all see e-bikes on those rides. Thankfully on my local mountain bikel trail system our county forest administrator has banned e-bikes.
Old 07-09-22, 02:47 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
Let’s talk workout. People in this thread are saying e-bikers are not getting a workout. I say if you are using multiple gears on a weight weenie bike and not riding a fixie, you are not getting a good workout either.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 07-09-22, 02:56 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
EBikes most assuredly have their place. In the case of my wife's, she can adjust the amount of assist from none all the way up to a lot. Her Ebike allows her to be able to ride with me when I do a fitness ride, and it allows her to climb hills that she otherwise would not be able to. Depending upon assist setting, hers can get over 60 miles to a charge.

Likes For Paul Barnard:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.