Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Errand bike build is getting frankenbikish

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-06-22, 04:17 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello all,
thanks for reading. This is a build that has severely limited cost issues. I'm trying to get it working with no to little additional cost for a fix-income situation.
I've got a build going on with a problem: 7-speed Shimano Tourney shifter/brake integrated; 6-speed Suntour Perfect freewheel; I'm assuming an 8-speed chain is appropriate
I'm hoping someone has an idea for a rear derailleur solution.
The front is fine, with a Campy/Suntour combo that works just fine with a Suntour FD.
An appropriate rear derailleur either straight cable, or with alternate cable routing, doesn't matter to me, have done lots of both.
Thanks in advance!
Old 09-06-22, 04:25 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by anixi
Hello all,
thanks for reading. This is a build that has severely limited cost issues. I'm trying to get it working with no to little additional cost for a fix-income situation.
I've got a build going on with a problem: 7-speed Shimano Tourney shifter/brake integrated; 6-speed Suntour Perfect freewheel; I'm assuming an 8-speed chain is appropriate
I'm hoping someone has an idea for a rear derailleur solution.
The front is fine, with a Campy/Suntour combo that works just fine with a Suntour FD.
An appropriate rear derailleur either straight cable, or with alternate cable routing, doesn't matter to me, have done lots of both.
Thanks in advance!
The 7 speed Tourney shifter will work with any 7-10 speed Shimano road RD's (except the 4700 Tiagra) and 7-9 speed MTB RD's. 8 speed chain is fine.
Oh yeah- is that 6 sp Suntour Perfect freewheel 'Ultra' spacing? If it's non-ultra spacing, it won't work with the 7 speed brifter.
Old 09-06-22, 04:42 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
The 7 speed Tourney shifter will work with any 7-10 speed Shimano road RD's (except the 4700 Tiagra) and 7-9 speed MTB RD's. 8 speed chain is fine.
Oh yeah- is that 6 sp Suntour Perfect freewheel 'Ultra' spacing? If it's non-ultra spacing, it won't work with the 7 speed brifter.
Thanks for the help.
I don't know if it's a Perfect Ultra or not. The spacing is about 5.5mm or 0.22" between cogs.
Old 09-06-22, 04:52 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OK, Sheldon Brown says that the 5mm is the ultra, so this is the "regular" Perfect freewheel. I've got a 9-speed Tiagra 4400 in my sights. I'm assuming this one will work...it's not a 4700 at least.
Old 09-06-22, 06:07 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Regular 6 speed has 5.5mm spacing vs 5.0 for 7 speed.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html

I'd just get a 7 speed Free Wheel.
Old 09-06-22, 06:25 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
simple solution, go friction https://www.amazon.com/Sunrace-SLM10...40701881&psc=1

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 09-06-22, 06:29 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Regular 6 speed has 5.5mm spacing vs 5.0 for 7 speed.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html

I'd just get a 7 speed Free Wheel.
Thanks,
What rear derailleur would you use?
I'll look around for a 7-speed freewheel, but, that's a long shot.
Old 09-06-22, 06:30 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
It's been a LONG time since I've been to Willow Glen. How's the traffic?
Old 09-06-22, 06:47 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Thanks,
What rear derailleur would you use?
I'll look around for a 7-speed freewheel, but, that's a long shot.
Is the shifting friction or indexed?
If indexed, get a cheap Shimano to match up with the Shimano shifters.
If friction, it doesn't matter as long as it can handle the largest cog & chain wrap. (Tourney)
Old 09-06-22, 07:17 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
It's been a LONG time since I've been to Willow Glen. How's the traffic?
traffic in san jose is getting LA like.

I commute to work by bike...so only traffic issues are crazy parents dropping kids off to Booksin, Willow Glen Middle and High, St. Chris and Presentation

most importantly La Villa deli is going strong

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 09-07-22, 03:40 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Is the shifting friction or indexed?
If indexed, get a cheap Shimano to match up with the Shimano shifters.
If friction, it doesn't matter as long as it can handle the largest cog & chain wrap. (Tourney)
It's a Tourney 7-speed Brifter.
Old 09-07-22, 04:29 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

It's a Tourney 7-speed Brifter.
7 speed FW's seem to be abundant on Google?

For a 7 speed, I wouldn't go any higher level than Altus. (older? 8 speed)
As the # speeds goes up, chain & DER's get narrower.
You're more prone to chain rub/noise etc. with the wider 7 speed chain and the narrower cage of the higher speed DER's.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 09-07-22, 04:45 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
For a freewheel any 7 speed Shimano compatible will work… Shimano, SRAM, Sunrace, or any Amazon alphabet soup brand.

If you want to replace the rear derailleur, get a 9 speed Deore. It will work with 6-9 speeds and almost any freewheel max cog.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 09-07-22, 05:28 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've found a Shimano RD-M200 aka 200 GS rear derailleur in my stash. It says on the internet that it's 6/7/8spd compatible. I'll try that next!
Thank you all!
Old 09-07-22, 10:34 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
I've found a Shimano RD-M200 aka 200 GS rear derailleur in my stash. It says on the internet that it's 6/7/8spd compatible. I'll try that next!
Thank you all!
Assuming it's in good repair, the RD-M200 should work nicely - particularly if you are sticking with a freewheel and not planning on using extreme gearing.

Shimano docs say the long cage version of the RD-M200 (GS cage) will handle a 12T smallest cog, a 30T largest cog, and has a total capacity of 36; the extra long cage version (SGS cage) will handle 12T smallest/32T largest and has total capacity of 38. (In practice, I don't think you'll have a problem with an 11T smallest cog if you can find a freewheel with one. Not sure how far you can "push the envelope" vice largest cog.)

The most common current 7-speed freewheels seem to be 14-28, which the RD-M200 should handle with no issue at all. Those can be obtained for a reasonable price.

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-07-22 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-08-22, 01:36 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
Assuming it's in good repair, the RD-M200 should work nicely - particularly if you are sticking with a freewheel and not planning on using extreme gearing.

Shimano docs say the long cage version of the RD-M200 (GS cage) will handle a 12T smallest cog, a 30T largest cog, and has a total capacity of 36; the extra long cage version (SGS cage) will handle 12T smallest/32T largest and has total capacity of 38. (In practice, I don't think you'll have a problem with an 11T smallest cog if you can find a freewheel with one. Not sure how far you can "push the envelope" vice largest cog.)

The most common current 7-speed freewheels seem to be 14-28, which the RD-M200 should handle with no issue at all. Those can be obtained for a reasonable price.
It is the SGS cage, lucky me!
Old 09-09-22, 07:12 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
It is the SGS cage, lucky me!
That does give you more flexibility. But either cage should have the capacity to handle the most common (14-28) current 7-speed freewheels easily, even if you pair it with a 20T difference front triple (e.g., 48/38/28 or 42/32/22).

I'd guess you should be able to do a bit more than Shimano specifies with either model - Shimano appears rather conservative in their RD capacity and cog ratings. Other RDs of that era were often specified as requiring a min 12T rear cog, and I've used a different model from that era w/o problems with an 11T min rear cog.

How much more, and how big of a max rear cog? Can't answer that from personal experience. Maybe someone else on BF can.

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-10-22 at 05:48 PM. Reason: add missing word
Old 09-09-22, 11:45 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Over the years, I’ve found that a 2t over specified max cog has worked for me with a number of different Shimano RD’s.

Obviously the derailleur hanger length plays a part and you can also use a longer B screw, if necessary.

John