Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1987(?) Schwinn High Sierra

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-08-22, 07:18 AM
zookster 

Bikes: 1993 Diamond Back Sorrento, 1965 Schwinn Racer 3-speed, 1987 Schwinn High Sierra, 1990 Specialized Sirrus, 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0, 2013 Giant Seek 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 743 Times in 191 Posts

Picked up this High Sierra last night. Going by T-Mar's Asian Serial Number guide I think it is a 1987 made by Giant in Taiwan. I am curious about the difference between the head badge number and the serial number on the BB. The head badge is stamped 0787, which would indicate 78th day of 1987 (March 19) but the BB number is GQ736932, which (if I reading T-Mar's list correctly) would indicate it was built between Aug 10 - Aug 23 1987. Is it common for the dates to be different like this? Thanks for any help.

Shimano Deore shifters and derailleurs

Suntour Roller Cam brakes

Interesting sticker on the right chainstay.

Old 09-08-22, 07:52 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
It's not unusual for the dates between the frame and head badge to be separated. In this case, the badges were most likely stamped in the US and sent to Tawain for installation on the frames. Of course, this is just my guess.

The High Sierra is a great bike and they make for great builds in various configurations. Mine is a yellow '88 and I've added fenders, racks, and smooth tires.

Can't wait to see your HS cleaned up. Smoked chrome is fantastic.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 09-08-22, 08:08 AM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 275 Posts
Back in the late '80s through the '90s, I had a Black Chrome High Sierra with the chainstay mounted U-brake. I rode the heck out of that bike. I rode it all around San Diego county and all over Kauai.
I eventually updated all the components and added a Trek DS2 front suspension fork.
Man, I loved that bike.
Originally it looked like this one. I wish I had pics of its final build.
Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 09-08-22, 09:24 AM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 349 Posts
I’m jealous. The black chrome High Sierra with the roller cam brakes is quite cool! I’m looking for one in my size.
Old 09-08-22, 09:25 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
I have an under-chainstay U-brake rear and a RollerCam front on my 1988 KOM-10. I am very pleased with the bike, and it gets a lot of use on road and off, and I can easily understand why you High Sierra fans like yours.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 09-08-22, 09:54 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Mine's pretty much the same as yours-

There's so much about this bike that make it really cool and unique. First, the fillet brazed head tube join is so outrageously cool- not a lot of mass production bikes have fillet brazed joins- so this and the Cimarron are unique.

Next is the black chrome finish- it's just cool. Again- unique. Unfortunately it is a bit fragile, and each scratch, scrape and peel show the contrast of the under layer.

Next is the really long geometry and the really really long chainstays. I think these are an artifact of the downhill aspect of mountain bike racing, but that long wheelbase makes for a more comfortable ride- even if it is much less nimble.

Next would be all the kooky touring bike braze ons. The HS was my first bike as an adult. I got it a couple days before I got out of the Army, really, to ride to school- and I never really used it in that application- but I loved the "mountain bike" idea of adventure. As such, I equated "mountain bike" with a set of "adventure" that involved racks and bags and going somewhere and camping. I didn't become familiar with the phrase "All Terrain Bike" instead of "Mountain Bike" until I was reading here- and there really is a difference- looking at what at the "mountain bike" turned into- there's bottle mounts- but the High Sierra at this time has 2 bottle mounts, in addition to front lowrider rack mounts, rear rack mounts, fender mounts and a pump peg. A pump peg.

Next there's the lugged unicrown fork. So- the unicrown fork was a new fangled advancement- but as I've read, there were people that didn't trust either the TIG welding or the manner of design for the fork- and they created a lug for a unicrown fork. After a year or so, they realized it was more of a pain and more complicated than it was worth- so you get the nifty unique lug on your fork.

Next are the roller cam brakes- these, I'm not such a fan of- but they do look cool and unique.

Next I guess would be the Deore stuff- it's 2nd from the top of the line under XT- and the stuff works flawlessly.

I guess it should be noted that both Deore and XC Sport are 2nd from the top of their respective component groups- XT and XC.

And to round out the unique stuff, there's the sealed bearing hubs.

I hope you enjoy the bike!!!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy: