Search this Thread

Old 09-09-22, 06:37 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Last time I rode around Belle Isle (a few weeks ago) I was surprised to drop what looked to be a strong cyclist (although I was pretty maxed out). Probably a good thing that I didn't realize he was the former team captain of the U.S. Postal Service cycling team. That was a surprise. I guess I didn't recognize him with the beard. Nice guy though, didn't give me too much grief for leaving him behind (when we regrouped after the bridge)

Edit - it is totally amazing how the bike infrastructure in Detroit and all of Michigan has changed since the original post above. I'd gladly give up that one ride for all that we have gained in the meantime).

Last edited by chas58; 09-09-22 at 06:49 AM.
Likes For chas58:
Old 09-14-22, 06:24 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Another thing that's changed since the beginning of this thread, Kwaame Kilpatrick is serving a 28-year sentence in federal prison, for racketeering.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 09-15-22, 03:34 AM
Silverexpress

Bikes: Commuter(s), MTB(s), bent(s), folder(s) and a road.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Another thing that's changed since the beginning of this thread, Kwaame Kilpatrick is serving a 28-year sentence in federal prison, for racketeering.
Fyi. Trump let him out.
Old 10-10-22, 05:47 AM
twonky

Bikes: '85 mongoose ATB, Mongoose IBOC Pro Sx, Mongoose pro Titanium road bike..Paramount MT.Bike, series 70.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sorta glad the ride is still happening...as the last time I did the ride, was in the early 80's, when I was living in Ferndale...and I took a job in Memphis...sadly, the last time I was in Detroit, and doing some biking, was the summer of 1999....Retired now, I hope to return to Detroit/Ferndale/Royal Oak in 2023...once a Michigander, always one...
Old 10-10-22, 06:44 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Wow, wayback machine.
Likes For himespau:
Old 02-22-23, 10:47 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
I used to live and work in Detroit in the 90s and had a lot of fun riding my bike around. I had an apartment by 8-mile and Gratiot, and there were a couple of neat old bicycle shops south of 8-mile on Gratiot. I never had any real trouble with anyone while living there. I used to go eat supper at the food court in the Eastland Mall after work every day. I used to like to walk around town and look at the old buildings, like the old grand train station that was not too far from the old Tiger Stadium, and there was a nice little deli by the Electrician's Union Hall I used to go to. I worked in Hamtramck which was a nice place. My bike was an old single-speed cruiser from the 50s with a coaster brake which was very beat up and rusty which was good because nobody ever wanted it besides me, I just left it laying outside against the garage. After the 9-11 debacle the economy went down the tubes there and I moved back to PA. I miss it all the time though.
Old 02-22-23, 01:15 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
My wife, son, and I took a trip up to just above Detroit to visit a friend some years ago. I cannot recall the name of the rail to trail we enjoyed, I think I posted about it here somewhere...Anyway, we had a blast riding up the trail, so much so that we went well too far. I seem to remember the day ending up ~80 miles by the time we got back to our Hotel. The surface streets we rode on were honestly some of the worst I have ever been on. The trail was among the best cycling I have ever experienced.
Old 07-04-23, 05:00 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
For those thinking about those "three Metroparks," they have been enhanced. SE Michigan has been connecting up disparate bike paths operated by different governmental organizations. In Washtenaw County (where Ann Arbor is) there is a project called the "Border to Border Trail" which tries to unify a path from the west edge of the County and the NW corner, to the SE corner to ultimately unify with a path which will cross Michigan. In Ann Arbor we are one of the problems, because one of the keys to riding from AA to western towns like Dexter or Chelsea (great coffee, bakery, and breakfast!) along picturesque Huron River Drive, is to cross a rail right of way and a stream bed which is not always dry. Biggest problem is that the rail right of way is trying to be re-classified to a higher speed class, I think > 60 mph, and this requires positive barriers to entering teh railway area. I'm not sure the (costly) solution (bridge, tunnel, or route away from thebeautiful road) has been decided upon, but my information is pretty old. Ultimately the Michigan Iron Belle Trail will, with the Border to Border, will enable crossing the state on bike paths, east-west and north-south. Not sure if a crossing into Canada is in the plans!

The three Metroparks, Lower Huron, Willow Springs (I think), and Oak Valley Metroparks have been upgraded with repaired path surfaces, addition of connector paths to external bikeways, better restrooms and water fountains, and bicycle repair/service facilities. A rail crossing in Willow works well when a train is not blocking it, but there is no reasonable detour when trains are present. However, this is a "traditional" problem not a new one. Where in the previous 2007 postings the cycle path petered out at a (very nice!) Nature Center, there is now a City/County path peeling off toward the west from a point north of the Nature Center, and this takes you through the center of Flat Rock down to Lake Erie Metropark. So there is no obvious loop to ride from the top of Lower Huron to have coffee on the shore of Lake Erie, but we (Mrs. Road Fan and I) just pedal down, turn around and come back for a 45 mile round trip. We haven't done this full route since COVID, considering our increasing ages, some additional ailments, and now the particulate matter contamination from the Canadian wildfires. But on good air days it will still be a pretty smooth, peaceful, and beautiful moderate distance ride. At least, Lower Huron is now better than it was back in '07! and is a 10 mile down and back. We have seen fast riders running repeats on that one.

One of the route concerns remains in Flat Rock, where the marked path passes by the Flat Rock automotive assembly plant. This behemoth was at times operated by Ford and other automakers, and the roads aroind it reflect pavement wear and tear due to the huge numbers of trucks supplying the plant. A large City park path takes some of the load, but not all of the route can be so diverted. Still, the Downriver Cycle Club ran and may still run a well-attended organized ride there. It used to be early in the cycling season - real nice ride, but chilly. Hot food was served at Lake Erie Metropark! Check the League of Michigan Biicyclists site to see if and when they still run it. Not many local rides are announced in BF, anymore.

If you ride the AA to Chelsea round trip and add a loop to Stockton, Hell and a few other towns, you have your 75 or century day.

Last edited by Road Fan; 07-04-23 at 06:42 AM.
Old 07-04-23, 09:31 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
For those thinking about those "three Metroparks," they have been enhanced. SE Michigan has been connecting up disparate bike paths operated by different governmental organizations. In Washtenaw County (where Ann Arbor is) there is a project called the "Border to Border Trail" which tries to unify a path from the west edge of the County and the NW corner, to the SE corner to ultimately unify with a path which will cross Michigan. In Ann Arbor we are one of the problems, because one of the keys to riding from AA to western towns like Dexter or Chelsea (great coffee, bakery, and breakfast!) along picturesque Huron River Drive, is to cross a rail right of way and a stream bed which is not always dry. Biggest problem is that the rail right of way is trying to be re-classified to a higher speed class, I think > 60 mph, and this requires positive barriers to entering teh railway area. I'm not sure the (costly) solution (bridge, tunnel, or route away from thebeautiful road) has been decided upon, but my information is pretty old. Ultimately the Michigan Iron Belle Trail will, with the Border to Border, will enable crossing the state on bike paths, east-west and north-south. Not sure if a crossing into Canada is in the plans!

The three Metroparks, Lower Huron, Willow Springs (I think), and Oak Valley Metroparks have been upgraded with repaired path surfaces, addition of connector paths to external bikeways, better restrooms and water fountains, and bicycle repair/service facilities. A rail crossing in Willow works well when a train is not blocking it, but there is no reasonable detour when trains are present. However, this is a "traditional" problem not a new one. Where in the previous 2007 postings the cycle path petered out at a (very nice!) Nature Center, there is now a City/County path peeling off toward the west from a point north of the Nature Center, and this takes you through the center of Flat Rock down to Lake Erie Metropark. So there is no obvious loop to ride from the top of Lower Huron to have coffee on the shore of Lake Erie, but we (Mrs. Road Fan and I) just pedal down, turn around and come back for a 45 mile round trip. We haven't done this full route since COVID, considering our increasing ages, some additional ailments, and now the particulate matter contamination from the Canadian wildfires. But on good air days it will still be a pretty smooth, peaceful, and beautiful moderate distance ride. At least, Lower Huron is now better than it was back in '07! and is a 10 mile down and back. We have seen fast riders running repeats on that one.

One of the route concerns remains in Flat Rock, where the marked path passes by the Flat Rock automotive assembly plant. This behemoth was at times operated by Ford and other automakers, and the roads aroind it reflect pavement wear and tear due to the huge numbers of trucks supplying the plant. A large City park path takes some of the load, but not all of the route can be so diverted. Still, the Downriver Cycle Club ran and may still run a well-attended organized ride there. It used to be early in the cycling season - real nice ride, but chilly. Hot food was served at Lake Erie Metropark! Check the League of Michigan Biicyclists site to see if and when they still run it. Not many local rides are announced in BF, anymore.

If you ride the AA to Chelsea round trip and add a loop to Stockton, Hell and a few other towns, you have your 75 or century day.
it would be great if they did similar to the SE parks, trails, & townships/cities in Wayne (south), Oakland (west), Lapeer (northwest), Macomb, St. Clair counties while paving the unpaved trails & adding in wide walkways where they drop from sections in-between existing sections. That last part is much preferred.

Regarding the railroad crossings that are potentially changing to higher speed zones; It might be worth accessing the cost for a secure pedestrian overpass [train tunnel] vs the barrier idea. Lessens the chances of a person's encounter with a train incident & when the tracks need service it wouldn't likely interfere with the overpass. Lastly, the maintenance for the approach to the tracks would be avoided, saving sustainment costs.
The initial cost might be hefty, but the funding parties should consider long-term solutions.
Old 07-04-23, 04:22 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
it would be great if they did similar to the SE parks, trails, & townships/cities in Wayne (south), Oakland (west), Lapeer (northwest), Macomb, St. Clair counties while paving the unpaved trails & adding in wide walkways where they drop from sections in-between existing sections. That last part is much preferred.

Regarding the railroad crossings that are potentially changing to higher speed zones; It might be worth accessing the cost for a secure pedestrian overpass [train tunnel] vs the barrier idea. Lessens the chances of a person's encounter with a train incident & when the tracks need service it wouldn't likely interfere with the overpass. Lastly, the maintenance for the approach to the tracks would be avoided, saving sustainment costs.
The initial cost might be hefty, but the funding parties should consider long-term solutions.
I'm not involved in anything recent, so they could have a more optimized resolution by now. I do know it's a complex pile of problems. Likewise a personell barrier is needed all along the railway, but I don't know for sure. I do know the design engineers are aware of the tradeoffs.
Likes For Road Fan: