Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Old 09-30-22, 03:40 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
So this morning the ride was up Snowbasin Mt to see the colors. There's an old abandoned road leading up to the resort that's still in decent shape for using a road bike on. Quads were sore from yesterday but I was able to take a much lighter bike today with triple, oh yeah! Never even needed the "bailout" gear since the max grade on this route is just a tad over 10%. Really nice morning although a bit cool with shifting sunlight. In fact it was downright cold up top when the winds hit my sweaty body. Planned for that though so I had on my Merino wool base layer. Normally I take the new highway back down so I can let 'er rip on the bike. Today was about grabbing pictures though so I went back down on the abandoned road. You have to be a lot more careful on it as it's pretty broken up in places and it's hard to see problems areas in the dappled shade. Wonderful time out though and hopefully the pictures are cool.

At the top of the first climb. The road in the background is the part closed off to cars

Colors are going pretty good

One of the main trailheads below there.

God's country opening up before my eyes. This is literally about 10 miles from the house by bike

You can see one of the worse road sections ahead, more gravel than chipseal.

I got this old Trek purely to be a climbing machine and it does well.

More color

I used to hike all over this mountain area before my knees went to crap.

Almost back to the one trailhead where the final climb back out of here begins.

The valley and reservoir down below. Normally I'm riding the bikes down there somewhere.
Old 09-30-22, 08:33 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
So this morning the ride was up Snowbasin Mt to see the colors. There's an old abandoned road leading up to the resort that's still in decent shape for using a road bike on. Quads were sore from yesterday but I was able to take a much lighter bike today with triple, oh yeah! Never even needed the "bailout" gear since the max grade on this route is just a tad over 10%. Really nice morning although a bit cool with shifting sunlight. In fact it was downright cold up top when the winds hit my sweaty body. Planned for that though so I had on my Merino wool base layer. Normally I take the new highway back down so I can let 'er rip on the bike. Today was about grabbing pictures though so I went back down on the abandoned road. You have to be a lot more careful on it as it's pretty broken up in places and it's hard to see problems areas in the dappled shade. Wonderful time out though and hopefully the pictures are cool.

At the top of the first climb. The road in the background is the part closed off to cars

Colors are going pretty good

One of the main trailheads below there.

God's country opening up before my eyes. This is literally about 10 miles from the house by bike

You can see one of the worse road sections ahead, more gravel than chipseal.

I got this old Trek purely to be a climbing machine and it does well.

More color

I used to hike all over this mountain area before my knees went to crap.

Almost back to the one trailhead where the final climb back out of here begins.

The valley and reservoir down below. Normally I'm riding the bikes down there somewhere.
Oh man - those roads! Beautiful!

Old 10-01-22, 05:09 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
Turned 59 last Wednesday, so I was obligated to ride my age. Did 62 miles up to Libertyville just to put a little frosting on the cake. Still feeling the hills from last Sunday’s 75-miler.

Beautiful fall day! Temps in the low 60s and we’re getting some color.

A fast group passed me like I was standing still on St. Mary’s road - I was doing 24 mph, so they must be juicing.

Lots of horse farms up north, lots of cyclists too.

Took a detour on Little St. Mary’s Road. Acorns were dropping like crazy!

Spotted this weird structure in the woods - no idea.

Been workin’ on the railroad at the Randout Diamond.

“Mechanic on Duty”

Thinking I should do a complete teardown this winter. It’s been 5 years (and 10000 miles) since I put the Schwinn together. Got rained on a lot this year and there is some rust I should address.

Old 10-01-22, 07:07 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
How about this picture from right after my ride? Missed this beauty by about an inch as I turned into the road I live on at high speed. There's been a construction company tearing up the area all summer long and they are leaving these little surprises all over. On the roads, the shoulders, the bike path, etc. This was a new one that wasn't there yesterday. I shudder to think what would have happened if my front had hit that as fast as I was going and with the lean I had going into the turn.

Old 10-01-22, 07:45 PM
djkashuba 

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Colnago Super,Follis, Bianchi Competizione, Brompton M6L, Black Mountain Monstercros

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 151 Posts

Bartlett's Market, Monte Rio Ca.
by djk762, on Flickr
Old 10-01-22, 10:16 PM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 669 Times in 177 Posts
I traveled to Morro Bay last weekend for the Lighthouse Century. I arrived Friday afternoon under beautiful sunny skies and had time to walk around the town.

This was in front of a local barber shop. I expected to see Gilligan and the Skipper inside getting their hair cut.

On the way to the motel I stopped at a mini mart. I was wearing my Eroica California t-shirt, and when I got to the counter, the female cashier looked at my shirt and said. "Ooh, Erotica!" No, it's a bike ride. No, it's not for adults only.

Saturday morning was foggy, and it stayed that way all day on the 75 mile coastal route, so I didn't take many pictures. If you want to see Hearst Castle, elephant seals, the Piedras Blancas Lighthouse or the beautiful California coastline, check the Eroica California or Touroica threads.

With an announced registration of 1,000 riders, there were very few C & V bikes. Plenty of carbon, disc brakes, electronic shifting, and e-bikes. I saw maybe 10 steel bikes all day.

The fog had lifted enough by the finish that most of Morro Rock was visible.

Last edited by Straightblock; 10-02-22 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-01-22, 10:35 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,436 Posts
I got out with @gugie for one of my favorite routes today, from Forest Grove down to Gaston, then a loop around Hagg Lake before heading back to Fern Hill Wetlands.

We stopped to take a dam picture on the dam at the end of the lake.

The view is better at the other end of the lake, but you can't see the bikes as well.

After the ride, we stopped off at a local business park to visit the best hidden watering hole in the area. Without this sandwich board, we'd never find the place. There is no other signage.
Old 10-02-22, 02:10 PM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 1,400 Times in 398 Posts
There were very nice temps this morning in Dallas starting around 60 degrees and finished up around 80 degrees after 40 miles of riding.

Here's a few pics I snapped with phone.

This beautiful creature was fluttering around the flowers.

Pumpkin colored bike and pumpkins in trees.

Stopped for a famous Fletcher's corned dog to fuel the last half of the ride.
Old 10-02-22, 04:20 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
Tiburon loop...

Dredging at Larkspur Landing

These guys sure have great views.

Stop above Blackies Pasture before heading back over the bridge.
Old 10-02-22, 04:38 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts

Nice weather in the mid 50's with the Aspens still in color but starting to shed so only a day or two left for Aspen pics. Took the Hardrock on long Sunday ride to Alma and back by the back roads at the u point of 12,000 or so top Beaver Creek actually saw a few snow flakes coming down. So these are likely the last fall pics expect snow and mud pretty soon.
Old 10-02-22, 05:01 PM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 669 Times in 177 Posts
Last Tuesday was my 67th birthday, so I did a "ride my age." I stayed on familiar roads:Auberry Road, Millerton Road and Friant Road.

Winding road next 5 miles, or watch for rattlesnakes? As I rode by, I spooked a squirrel he was about to strike, and I doubt he was too happy about it.

I zig-zagged thru the neighborhood and finished with a little over 67 miles. The Lighthouse Century I wrote about a few posts up should fall on my 70th birthday in 2025. I'm already recruiting a few friends to help me ride my age then.

Last edited by Straightblock; 10-02-22 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-02-22, 06:47 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked 2,841 Times in 963 Posts
Covid sidelined me for the whole of September, maybe I rode a Citibike in Manhattan once or twice. Today was my first outing in a month, on the flat and beautiful Ashokan Rail Trail. Glad to be turning the pedals again! It was gray, windy and cool, in the mid-50s F. Birches and Maples staring to turn. The trail is protected from the winds so that wasn't an issue today. On the return trip I spotted a black bear on the trail from about a quarter mile away. It turned into the woods leading towards the reservoir and when I got closer it heard me and galloped away.

This is the Boiceville Bridge over the Esopus Creek. You can see folks fishing in the distance.

Old 10-02-22, 10:57 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
Took another great overnighter from Portland, this time East, out to the Gorge. Weather in the 80's and mid 50's at night, but still brought too much stuff because it seemed like it should be colder!

Another fine ride on the Bruce Gordon, and this time my buddy rode his old Bontrager cross bike. He got to help build it when he worked at Bontrager in Santa Cruz, and we spent some time setting it up for light touring. It performed much better than the Trek 1420 he rode last time!

It's one of those rides where you want a camera in your eyeball because you could stop and take a picture every 30 seconds. The hiker biker camp at Ainsworth State Park, just East of Multnomah Falls was very cool, and luckily we had it to ourselves because the communal spaces would have been tight if all six spots were taken.

They even had a repair stand. Unfortunately, it was impossible to use the tools with the braided steel tethers, and the pump head was broken and quickly deflated my tire. Good if you were really desperate and resourceful, I guess. Still a neat gesture.

Old 10-03-22, 06:38 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts
Cold rainy start to 50 mile gravel ride on MA/NY border

Old 10-03-22, 06:49 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts
I gotta say, that after 50ish miles of riding on dirt roads and fire trails, I think I prefer the black tightly packed sort of gravel over the loose stuff.
I think that it is also called... tarmac? asphalt?

Last edited by Rocket-Sauce; 10-03-22 at 02:41 PM.
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 10-03-22, 07:36 AM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
Well, no riding this weekend as it was my turn in the rotation to help my parents with chores. But my dad's 1989 Spectrum titanium followed me home for the second time so I can ride today.

Since my dad loves Campagnolo and used this bike for some ultra long distance riding its only appropriate it be hung by the old Campagnolo and Pete Penseyres posters.

Last edited by scozim; 10-03-22 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-03-22, 07:41 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Original Gravel Racer?

Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
I gotta say, that after 50ish miles of riding on dirt roads and fire trails, I think I prefer the black tightly packed sort of gravel over the loose stuff.
I think that kind of gravel is also called... tarmac? asphalt?
While picking up a wheelset I found on Craigslist yesterday, I saw a number of vehicles with bikes on their racks heading to a nearby park. When the transaction was complete, I moseyed down that way, and found a cyclo-cross / gravel race in progress. Legions of lycra-clad, helmeted athletes were in various stages of preparation for the event when I got there. Bikes were all carbon-fiber, disc-braked, modern weightless wonders. I parked the van, opened the rear hatch, and extracted my 1949 Raleigh Clubman Path Racer, and explored the paved path around the park.

The race course crossed the pavement in several spots, but rather than blocking it off, the organizers had thoughtfully placed cones which allowed careful crossing of the race course at reduced speeds, encouraging caution in the process. I was able to make a complete circuit around the lake, and when I got back to my van, a couple riders came over to check out the Clubman.

I asked them whether there was a vintage class in their race, there wasn't, and told them that this was the Original Gravel Bike. As a Path Racer, all they really had were dirt and gravel paths back in the day, and these were modified for speed!

Image copyright unknown. This shot is all over the web, in various blogs and things, so I assume it is safe to post here.

They asked a few more questions, and I let a couple of them take it for a spin around the parking lot. As an impromptu history lesson for these modern racers, it was very gratifying for me as well. If I hadn't had other things planned for the day, I would have stayed to watch the races. These folks are =fast!

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 10-03-22, 04:52 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Always thankful to post this thread

Good vintage photo of your racing days DQRider.

Seattle summer temps, but autumn in the air = Aug-tober
Seen yesterday on the road. Well,…off the road actually.

Damn, less than a month to get this truck ready!

No pics of the post ride Aug-toberfest. But rode the Bianchi today.

And later in day pulled out the German bike for a stroll around the neighborhood in honor of the German beer being consumed.

getting old and hearing about long-time friends in hospital ICUs …….. is not easy.

Roll On.

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-05-22 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-03-22, 06:11 PM
Dirt Road Blues 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 50 Posts
Today marked the first morning with the new Peugeot. It got me to work on time before sun up. It carried me home safely through rush hour traffic.

Immediate observations: Rear brake is soft, and needs adjustment. Chain, and cables needs lube Saddle, and cockpit both need a minor fit adjusting. Hard, heavily corroded gum hoods feel a little creepy. Cheap Cheng Shun brane tires are retched, and need to be replaced pronto!

Otherwise there were no breakdowns, and no unpleasant surprises. The round trip, while short and focused, was also very enjoyable. After too many months without a bike, it felt great to back in the saddle, and rolling on pavement again.

I took advantage of the employee bike parking in the restaurant dining room!

Old 10-04-22, 11:31 AM
LucasHartong

Bikes: '83 Viner Special Professional, '91 Pinarello Asolo 'spumoni', '93 Trek 930, '94 Giant Cadex CFR3, '97 Giant Atlanta MTB, '99 B1 Weblite Cross , '16 Cube Peloton Race.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 96 Posts
Enjoyed some time on the Viner in Ostend and Bruges, Belgium.

Old 10-04-22, 06:03 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Thankful as always to post this thread

Into town -

Back of the local dairy

Trails in Issaquah

Garden

Maybe a bear - but this ain’t Chicago. Aug-tober in Seattle. Roll On.
Old 10-04-22, 09:28 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 3,771 Times in 664 Posts
Trying out some new shoes on the BG this evening... Corsas in 32mm are sweet!
New Corsa 32's by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
Old 10-05-22, 10:58 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,127 Posts
A foggy morning for a gravel ride in the Point Reyes National Seashore.

Here, in Drakes Bay, the English pirate, Sir Francis Drake, is believed to have careened his ship for maintenance in 1579.
My bicycle is hiding demurely behind a Coyote Bush to avoid offending delicate C&V constitutions with its sloping top tube, unicrown fork, threadless steerer and other abominations of the current era.

The sun came out in full force at the end of my ride, just as Point Reyes Station was coming in sight.

Brent
Old 10-05-22, 01:36 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 996 Times in 355 Posts
My ride yesterday.
Here lived the owner of the peat factory since the end of the 18th century.

The water level is far too low here.

Autumn, mushrooms.

In 1941 a Brittish fighter plane crashed here, Lest we forget.

Canal formerly used for transportation of peat.

Ridin' back home.

Old 10-05-22, 01:55 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by fabiofarelli
Autumn, mushrooms.
Edible?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.