Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Polishing my crank

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Polishing my crank

Old 10-05-22, 03:25 PM
tjfastback66

Bikes: a few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
to the OP, thanks for posting this. As a person who's watched videos on YouTube of people who bring back old tools to mirror finishes, I admire your work. I wish I had the patience/time to do it.
Yes there was a bit more work with the sanding first to get the mirror finish.

after / before

after
Old 10-05-22, 04:39 PM
dpmoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tendency
Looks great the only issue is it'll start to oxidize and need regular touch up polishing now that the anodizing has been stripped off.
That's what I was thinking also, which is why I was looking to wax the components, to at least extent the life of the polish. But it looks like Kabuki12 got great results and at least a year's longevity. I however am not in Southern California, and even though I don't ride in the rain if possible, there's enough moisture in the air and early morning fog to do enough damage here in Western PA.

I use Meguiar's wax on my car, I'll try it on my component, I mean components, unless yinz suggest otherwise.

Thank you all for your input.
Old 10-05-22, 09:04 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
I scored a scratched up, janky looking M730 XT crank, polished it up- and BAM.

1990 Miyata 1000LT by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 10-06-22, 07:12 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
On a related topic, how do I choose/find a good bench grinder/polisher?
I was ready to buy one a few weeks ago, after I decided that I had enough sanding and polishing my components by hand.
What brand and model should I get?
Tried to shop for one at .my localHome Depot and was surprised to find out they did not carry any.....
Prolly on the advice of their lawyers. A bench grinder and a moment's lapse in attention can cause serious damage.
Nice work Andy_K; and a great example of how the practical approach to good-enough results is often the most satisfying; stopping short of obsession.

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 10-06-22 at 07:15 PM.