Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Identify this bike- fleur de lis on fork crown?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Identify this bike- fleur de lis on fork crown?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-22, 11:41 AM
vegasbike

Bikes: a few- I like them

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I concur, the fork does not match the frame, for the reasons already stated by several members. Also, as noted by P!N20, the serial number is consistent with MIKI of Japan. If so, it indicates a 1983 model. The frame characteristics are certainly typical of a Japanese, mid-range, grand touring model from this period.

Maybe it's the influence of the fleur-de-lys but I sense that this may be a Canadian brand. Canadian bicycles known to be sourced from Miki during this era include Norco, Sakai and Velo Sport. While I can't recall seeing anything that is an exact match, it's similar to their Magnum, LDT and Alpin models of this vintage.
Thank you, I had been researching and with the help of everyone on this fabulous forum.. I sort of came up with similar conclusions.... the fleur de lilles had me thinking marinoni and perhaps even Miele. Of course I originally thought that maybe if the fork was from marinoni then the rest of the frame was not...especially with the lack of seat stay enscriptions and cutout under bottom bracket. Then I thought perhaps its a french canadian build like the Mikado touring bike I once had...
In any case always fun to try and figure it out. In the end, the ride is all that matters...except when its winter and snowing and all one can do is dream of riding
Old 10-14-22, 11:43 AM
vegasbike

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
The fluer-de-lis is a French and by extension French Canadian symbol. Of course it could be used by anybody and I used it on the very first frame I built at Ellis Briggs in England. There was a Canadian builder in either Ontario or Quebec Providences that was much more of a small custom maker than Marinoni . I remember seeing an article in Bicycle Guide or Bike World magazines about him in the 80's (maybe later) . Mariinoni has a much bigger production output than the guy I'm trying to think of. He might be a possibility.
Fantastic to learn that
Likes For vegasbike:
Old 10-14-22, 11:55 AM
vegasbike

Originally Posted by T-Mar
I concur, the fork does not match the frame, for the reasons already stated by several members. Also, as noted by P!N20, the serial number is consistent with MIKI of Japan. If so, it indicates a 1983 model. The frame characteristics are certainly typical of a Japanese, mid-range, grand touring model from this period.

Maybe it's the influence of the fleur-de-lys but I sense that this may be a Canadian brand. Canadian bicycles known to be sourced from Miki during this era include Norco, Sakai and Velo Sport. While I can't recall seeing anything that is an exact match, it's similar to their Magnum, LDT and Alpin models of this vintage.
Mystery solved?
after a quick search on T-Mar's suggestion of it being a Saki LDT, I find this thread with an almost identical serial #....
Big thanks!! although Id be more thankful if it were indeed a Marinoni lol

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...e-touring.html
Likes For vegasbike:
Old 10-14-22, 12:27 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
The fluer-de-lis is a French and by extension French Canadian symbol. Of course it could be used by anybody and I used it on the very first frame I built at Ellis Briggs in England. There was a Canadian builder in either Ontario or Quebec Providences that was much more of a small custom maker than Marinoni . I remember seeing an article in Bicycle Guide or Bike World magazines about him in the 80's (maybe later) . Mariinoni has a much bigger production output than the guy I'm trying to think of. He might be a possibility.
Ryffranck?

Old 10-14-22, 12:52 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by vegasbike
Mystery solved?
after a quick search on T-Mar's suggestion of it being a Saki LDT, I find this thread with an almost identical serial #....
Big thanks!! although Id be more thankful if it were indeed a Marinoni lol

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...e-touring.html
Bingo!
Likes For seypat:
Old 10-14-22, 12:53 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
although Id be more thankful if it were indeed a Marinoni lol
Be thankful it isn't this Marinoni.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 10-14-22 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-14-22, 01:02 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Ryffranck?
I don't think so but J P Ryffranck was one of several custom frame builders operating in Quebec at the time. His bikes are highly prized by collectors here. I have a beautiful Limongi built in Trois Rivieres Quebec by another custom Quebec builder and also a lovely Gilles Bertrand touring bike built in Hull(now Gatineau) Quebec. One should also not forget Le Crocco bikes which have a loyal following. I did own a Marinoni for awhile. Nice bike but it was a later TIG welded version. I used it as a TT bike until I traded it to a friend for a garage door opener, I still lust after a Ryffranck

Last edited by alcjphil; 10-14-22 at 01:19 PM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 10-14-22, 01:11 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by cudak888

-Kurt
Sad.
Likes For seypat:
Old 10-14-22, 01:20 PM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 192 Posts
i know how you love this game...
i couldnt resist this winter project..
i was hoping it was a marinoni based on the fork crown but im not sure..
suntour rear dropouts
700 c wheels
cantilever posts
columbus tubing sticker on fork
2sets water bottle bosses on bottom of frame and main

As you already got solid info on the frame itself, I'll just add that the fluer-de-lis panto on the fork crown is not a match to Marinoni (or Bernard Carre/Didier Louis, probably the other most frequent user of that symbol).
It is a match to Desmarais. Pretty sure Bob Desmarais is who Doug Fattic was thinking of.

I don't remember seeing a touring type bike from Desmarais before, so this fork is kind of interesting, but then there aren't a whole lot of examples out there.
Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 10-14-22, 01:34 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by alcjphil
I don't think so but J P Ryffranck was one of several custom frame builders operating in Quebec at the time. His bikes are highly prized by collectors here. I have a beautiful Limongi built in Trois Rivieres Quebec by another custom Quebec builder and also a lovely Gilles Bertrand touring bike built in Hull(now Gatineau) Quebec. One should also not forget Le Crocco bikes which have a loyal following. I did own a Marinoni for awhile. Nice bike but it was a later TIG welded version. I used it as a TT bike until I traded it to a friend for a garage door opener, I still lust after a Ryffranck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7-8cI17Lgg
Wow is all I can say!
Old 10-14-22, 01:41 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by seypat
Sad.
Not exactly sure what to do with it at this point, really. Stripped it for parts and both post and stem are stuck (surprise).

-Kurt

Old 10-14-22, 03:05 PM
Ross200

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 34 Posts
It this when someone is supposed to mention the OA bath? Tri bikes live a hard life.
Old 10-14-22, 03:48 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
I would be inclined to agree with JohnDThompson that the frame and fork aren't a match, but the wear and matching cantilever posts also suggest otherwise. With Japanese bikes or anyone who worked with Tange, I'd always be open to the possibility that the fork was built independent of the frame - hence the discrepancy - and I'd even believe that one manufacturer might request Tange to assemble forks with fork crown cast with their logo in it.

However, I'd also expect a production-level Tange fork to be built with domed-end blades, pre-cut and bent to the right length for mass production - not these that obviously had to be finished and filled.
I suppose it's possible that the cantilever mounts aren't original, either, but were added around or after the time the fork substitution was made. That would explain the equal wear front and rear. Perhaps the double-eyelet fork ends were done at that time as well? Domed stay ends are typically done at the tubing mill, not by the builder (doming stay ends is a PITA by hand). The original fork ends could be pulled out, and double-eyelet ones installed, with radiused stay ends because that's much easier to do with hand tools.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-14-22, 03:50 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 311 Posts

Here is the frame. The fleur de lis is not the same, as these photos will attest. My memory was faulty evidently!

Funny story to go along with these pics. My ex-BIL brought the frame over from France, and it was in pretty good condition. He ended up getting a Gios, and then sold the frame to my buddy (that still has it, hence the pics). So it went from a very nice frameset to this in 15(?) years or so. I can put a name and a face to this bikes slow destruction! Everything he owns looks this way.

Local builder, Chanteloupe-en-Brie for a local race team (ex BIL racer). No identifying marks.

ETA- It is a 57cm frame with something like a 54.5TT and a sub 98cm wheelbase if I recall correctly. It's ridiculously nervous, and my buddy has crashed it multiple times after riding it to the local watering hole.

Last edited by Erzulis Boat; 10-14-22 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-14-22, 03:56 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
^ Good call.

The Wilier Fleur de Lis looks a bit different to the OP's - although there may have been variants.

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/i...c8526a9e94.jpg
although the riddle is solved, for the record and to aid future logo hunters, Wilier's "fleur de lis" is actually a spear, from the coat of arms of Trieste, it is not that obvious similar in monocolor like pantos and trikot logos though.

@Future CV member, drop me a thumbs up if you find this helpful 10+ years from now while trying to identify your bike.
Old 10-14-22, 03:58 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
Not exactly sure what to do with it at this point, really. Stripped it for parts and both post and stem are stuck (surprise).

-Kurt
I'm wondering if you are contemplating sending it to me to do those removals, and finish repairs. It seems all the bikes in south FL have some sort of top tube damage from rust. Smiles, MH
Old 10-14-22, 04:00 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
I'm wondering if you are contemplating sending it to me to do those removals, and finish repairs. It seems all the bikes in south FL have some sort of top tube damage from rust. Smiles, MH
You are a madman, Dave!

-Kurt

Old 10-14-22, 04:03 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat

Here is the frame. The fleur de lis is not the same, as these photos will attest. My memory was faulty evidently!

Funny story to go along with these pics. My ex-BIL brought the frame over from France, and it was in pretty good condition. He ended up getting a Gios, and then sold the frame to my buddy (that still has it, hence the pics). So it went from a very nice frameset to this in 15(?) years or so. I can put a name and a face to this bikes slow destruction! Everything he owns looks this way.

Local builder, Chanteloupe-en-Brie for a local race team (ex BIL racer). No identifying marks.

ETA- It is a 57cm frame with something like a 54.5TT and a sub 98cm wheelbase if I recall correctly. It's ridiculously nervous, and my buddy has crashed it multiple times after riding it to the local watering hole.
Some bikes (cheap and ridiculously rares as well) end up like this without moving a meter, kicked around in the back of a garage or even worse backyard. If he at least used it to some extent......
Old 10-14-22, 04:05 PM
Lattz

-Kurt
How does that DT sound on knocking? Is there steel inside or even a gentle baking soda blast would put it into past tense?
Old 10-14-22, 04:14 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Lattz
Some bikes (cheap and ridiculously rares as well) end up like this without moving a meter, kicked around in the back of a garage or even worse backyard. If he at least used it to some extent......
He is at the watering hole a lot! So, yes, it could be worse. He sure does use it.
Old 10-14-22, 04:15 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Lattz
How does that DT sound on knocking? Is there steel inside or even a gentle baking soda blast would put it into past tense?
It won't cave under my fingers, so there may be hope. Might OA bath it when I do a batch of other parts with the LBS. Just for giggles.

-Kurt

Old 10-14-22, 04:31 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
Not convinced the fork is original.

The serial number looks similar to Miki (Japan).
I would agree the frame likely Miki built and the rest of the bike is Willler.
Old 10-14-22, 04:40 PM
omijay 

Bikes: 72' Masi, 78' Marinoni, 82' Davidson, 83' Davidson, 84' Mercian, 62 Schwinn Debutante

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

-Kurt
As someone else said sad. However, it is pretty common to see a Marinoni laying around the streets of Montreal in this condition or worse. I am near the university and I see at least one a week in this bad of shape locked down to a fence, street sign, bike stand or parking meter. I often wonder if they are abandoned or still in use. You often wish you could rescue them, but you cannot save them all. It says a lot about how well Marinoni sold his bikes in the local Montreal market for the last 40 plus years. You see vintage Marinoni's everywhere. My guess is the rust started up north and the bike took a ride down south on a motorhome with a snowbird.
Likes For omijay:
Old 10-14-22, 05:00 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by omijay
As someone else said sad. However, it is pretty common to see a Marinoni laying around the streets of Montreal in this condition or worse. I am near the university and I see at least one a week in this bad of shape locked down to a fence, street sign, bike stand or parking meter. I often wonder if they are abandoned or still in use. You often wish you could rescue them, but you cannot save them all. It says a lot about how well Marinoni sold his bikes in the local Montreal market for the last 40 plus years. You see vintage Marinoni's everywhere. My guess is the rust started up north and the bike took a ride down south on a motorhome with a snowbird.
Any of them on campus? Check with the university and ask what they do when they do a bike rack purge. Many universities require students to register their bikes so when the abandoned bikes pile up and they cut the locks, they know who to contact. Some get abandoned.

Ask the city too. It's sometimes offloaded to a towing company, but there's often a public works department that sorts it out and usually ends up scrapping whatever they wind up with. Saved some seized shared bikes that way.

-Kurt

Old 10-14-22, 05:16 PM
Lattz

Any of them on campus? Check with the university and ask what they do when they do a bike rack purge. Many universities require students to register their bikes so when the abandoned bikes pile up and they cut the locks, they know who to contact. Some get abandoned.

Ask the city too. It's sometimes offloaded to a towing company, but there's often a public works department that sorts it out and usually ends up scrapping whatever they wind up with. Saved some seized shared bikes that way.

-Kurt
Yeah, by us the unis and the rail company auctions them, the city makes a 2 level sorting, as they operate LBSs to help people with various diabilities. They repair the repairable ones, or take apart the ones which are good for the parts bin, then the rest gets scrapped. Still 4-5 years ago there were a lot to be seen with the city"s red tag (meaning the death row, avoiding the selection process) but these days the thieves steal anything which is locked for more than 2 days, unless its a standard German 60s-70s city bike.
Likes For Lattz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.