Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Steel faster than carbon?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Steel faster than carbon?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-22, 02:41 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6962 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
There's always another version out there of a dead musician doing a cover of some other dead musician's song.......and doing it justice.
Well, shoot, I didn't know that Jeff Healey is dead. Damn.

Originally Posted by amazinmets73
The funny thing is I don't think these innovations lack value. I just think they make cycling too expensive and complicated. If I had an unlimited budget they'd be fine.
So, given that you can't afford some things, you reach the following general conclusion:

The modern bike industry is a scam so far as I'm concerned.
I hope you're not wondering why some of us don't take you seriously.

And now I'll invite the scolds to come and scold me.
Old 10-27-22, 03:20 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Arkansas High Country Race was just won on a steel bike with rim brakes. And inner tubes. The steel was old timey 1" and !-1/8" tubes. With lugs.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 10-27-22, 03:24 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by 63rickert
Arkansas High Country Race was just won on a steel bike with rim brakes. And inner tubes. The steel was old timey 1" and !-1/8" tubes. With lugs.
And it looks like he was wearing a wool jersey, too.
Old 10-27-22, 03:30 PM
63rickert

Originally Posted by Koyote
Yes, he was. And he is twice as old as some of those he beat.

For most of us, and probably all on this forum, we just don't have enough power that "efficient power transfer" would make one bit of difference. We don't go fast enough that aero anything makes any difference.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 10-27-22, 03:31 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4943 Post(s)
Liked 8,083 Times in 3,824 Posts
The funny thing is I don't think these innovations lack value. I just think they make cycling too expensive and complicated. If I had an unlimited budget they'd be fine.
So...Let me see if I understand correctly....If you could afford the latest in bicycle technology, would it stop being a scam?

Technology evolves, and systems become more complex. This tends to be the nature of technology. The automotive industry is one of many examples. With my first few cars, you could drop a wrench in the engine bay, and it would hit the ground. Today, you're buying a new wrench and hoping the lost one doesn't mess anything up, where ever it disappeared to. However, today's cars are more efficient, faster, and safer than decades past.

If you prefer the world of the simple bicycle, the C&V section welcomes you, and you will have lots of company. However, be aware that the C&V side is not always cheap. People spend a lot of money on old parts for old bicycles.
Old 10-27-22, 03:38 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
So .... how much you feel comfortable spending should determine what engineers develop and manufacturers produce?

What is some other folks can afford more, and want more? Why should you limit their options?

With very few exceptions, we all have limits on what we can spend. We buy what we want, tempered by what we can afford, and make the best of it.

You on the other hand, hate the world and try to convince everyone not to even design, let alone build or sell, stuff you cannot afford.

Get a better job, learn to manage money, adjust your priorities .... and please, grow up some and learn how the world actually works.

Seriously ... if you cannot afford the best medical care, no one should design, build or sell houses? When you were younger you couldn't afford a car ... so nobody should have been allowed to design, build, or sell cars .... and certainly, no one should ever make better cars.

You cannot see any flaws in your logic here ... you cannot see any better logic than blaming all your woes on some Bicycle Conspiracy?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-27-22, 03:42 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Wool is faster than lycra. Here's proof...

The winner was wearing a wool jersey, and no one wearing a lycra jersey could beat him. Therefore, wool is faster than lycra.
Old 10-27-22, 03:42 PM
Koyote

Yes, he was. And he is twice as old as some of those he beat.

For most of us, and probably all on this forum, we just don't have enough power that "efficient power transfer" would make one bit of difference. We don't go fast enough that aero anything makes any difference.
Bingo. On the bikes I race(d), light weight has never been a huge priority. I've just never seen the point in spending a lot of money on (sometimes) more delicate parts in order to move up from 57th place to 53rd place. And a lot of the weight weenie-ism seems to come from riders, like the OP, who don't even race. wtf?

Originally Posted by Eric F
Technology evolves, and systems become more complex. This tends to be the nature of technology. The automotive industry is one of many examples. With my first few cars, you could drop a wrench in the engine bay, and it would hit the ground. Today, you're buying a new wrench and hoping the lost one doesn't mess anything up, where ever it disappeared to. However, today's cars are more efficient, faster, and safer than decades past.
When I was a kid, my family had typical cars of the 1960s and '70s...We even had a '65 Mustang kicking around the family for some years. Comparing any of those vehicles to my 2022 Honda is like comparing a rotary phone to a new iPhone 14.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-27-22, 03:47 PM
63rickert

However, be aware that the C&V side is not always cheap. People spend a lot of money on old parts for old bicycles.
It is true that some spend serious money on bikes they just gotta have. Then there are vintage bikes that we get for free. And some that we get for very little. New bikes for free doesn't happen often. Happens to most of us that want old bikes.
Old 10-27-22, 04:00 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bingo. On the bikes I race(d), light weight has never been a huge priority. I've just never seen the point in spending a lot of money on (sometimes) more delicate parts in order to move up from 57th place to 53rd place. And a lot of the weight weenie-ism seems to come from riders, like the OP, who don't even race. wtf?
I have always tended to lean toward the weight-weenie side, but I know damn well that my fitness/fatness are more influential on my performance. My race bikes (early -2000's) tended to be light-ish for the era (18-19 lbs), but not featherweight. Going uphill, a 1-2 lb lighter bike wasn't going to let me compete with 130 lb mountain goats. However, I did beat Justin Williams in a sprint to win a State Crit Champ title* because the sprint game was where my skills and body type were strongest.

*True story. Cat 3 State Crit Champ Race. Williams was 15 years old and I was 35. He had beaten me earlier in the year, and this was sweet revenge for an old guy at the end of his race days.

When I was a kid, my family had typical cars of the 1960s and '70s...We even had a '65 Mustang kicking around the family for some years. Comparing any of those vehicles to my 2022 Honda is like comparing a rotary phone to a new iPhone 14.
How did you do a Google search on a rotary phone?
Old 10-27-22, 04:01 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,430 Times in 1,794 Posts
But it had electronic shifting.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 10-27-22, 04:02 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

It is true that some spend serious money on bikes they just gotta have. Then there are vintage bikes that we get for free. And some that we get for very little. New bikes for free doesn't happen often. Happens to most of us that want old bikes.
That's why I included the "not always" in my comment.
Old 10-27-22, 04:09 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
So .... how much you feel comfortable spending should determine what engineers develop and manufacturers produce?

What is some other folks can afford more, and want more? Why should you limit their options?

With very few exceptions, we all have limits on what we can spend. We buy what we want, tempered by what we can afford, and make the best of it.

You on the other hand, hate the world and try to convince everyone not to even design, let alone build or sell, stuff you cannot afford.

Get a better job, learn to manage money, adjust your priorities .... and please, grow up some and learn how the world actually works.

Seriously ... if you cannot afford the best medical care, no one should design, build or sell houses? When you were younger you couldn't afford a car ... so nobody should have been allowed to design, build, or sell cars .... and certainly, no one should ever make better cars.

You cannot see any flaws in your logic here ... you cannot see any better logic than blaming all your woes on some Bicycle Conspiracy?
Look at the OP's previous posts surrounding a neverending attempt to save money and the chaos that has ensued. Chances are there is a lot of trolling going on, but the op's threads seem to be fairly effective at eliciting responses. My issue with this one is the lack of creativity and the repetitive nature of it; I don't understand the satisfaction someone gets from being an anonymous troll however in this case, just rehashing a well-worn trope is sad.
Old 10-27-22, 05:16 PM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think this is a claim that just gets less and less plausible. There's never been an era with more variety in styles of bikes available. Racing style bikes are such a small segment of the market that this is a classic tail wagging dog perspective.
That is good to know. It seems like there are many threads that say otherwise.
Old 10-27-22, 05:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
That is good to know. It seems like there are many threads that say otherwise.
And Grant Peterson's writing career.
Old 10-27-22, 05:24 PM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
And Grant Peterson's writing career.
Not familiar, but no problem.
Old 10-27-22, 05:46 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
How did you do a Google search on a rotary phone?
It’s not easy, but you can do it. You need to use the rotary dial like a keypad and turn it the number of times to get to the right letter.

When you get your search you need to listen to the information. It sometimes helps to use a tape recorder, period correct, and vocally repeat what you hear into the tape recorder microphone.

Pictures are especially difficult since you need to follow the instructions in order to sketch out the image.

But some people think the smartphone industry is a scam because you need to have apps.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 10-27-22, 05:55 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
Not familiar, but no problem.
Grant Peterson of Rivendell Bicycles. A bit of a retro-grouch. Against racing type bikes for the masses. Some people like him, some find him annoying.

To me, racing in motorsports and even bicycling has helped technology progress. If companies didn't spend R&D money we wouldn't have the things we have available today. Road bikes have improved in just about every way, mountain bikes even more than road bikes. E-class racing cars has helped development of batteries which are used in cars and bikes.
If you don't want to spend a lot on a bike you can still benefit from advances in technology. Or you can just ride old bikes.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-27-22, 06:00 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts

[img
https://live.staticflickr.com/4080/4740792695_38736c3f3f_b.jpg[/img]

The winner was wearing a wool jersey, and no one wearing a lycra jersey could beat him. Therefore, wool is faster than lycra.
Yeahbutt... He must have been crazy-strong; he beat a 150HP truck.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 10-27-22, 06:15 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,430 Times in 1,794 Posts
I think Jan is rather fit.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 10-27-22, 06:15 PM
big john

Originally Posted by 70sSanO

Pictures are especially difficult since you need to follow the instructions in order to sketch out the image.

John
Reminds me of being with my friend at his body shop when a man came in and said his car had been crashed and he needed a body shop to confirm it was a total for his insurance. Friend told him to have it towed in and he would write up an estimate or whatever the guy needed. Guy says he doesn't want to tow it in so my friend says if he takes some good pictures that would work. Guy says he doesn't have a camera and wants to know if he could just draw a picture of the wreck.

We had some laughs after the guy left.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-27-22, 06:26 PM
amazinmets73

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
So...Let me see if I understand correctly....If you could afford the latest in bicycle technology, would it stop being a scam?

If you prefer the world of the simple bicycle, the C&V section welcomes you, and you will have lots of company. However, be aware that the C&V side is not always cheap. People spend a lot of money on old parts for old bicycles.
It's just unnecessary and overkill. Furthermore, when companies stop offering the more economical option (rim brakes for example) across their model lines, they force the consumers hand into paying more.

I also suspect there's significant price gouging at play...

...For example, in 1999 Treks top-of-the-line carbon fiber road offering sported an MSRP of $3,600. Adjusted for inflation, that equates to $6,400. Treks highest MSRP road bike in 2022 is $12,500 (Specialized wants over $14,000.)

So, yes. Nearly double the price for a top tier road bike with the same frame material. And of course there's a trickle down effect. A mid-upper tier road bike in 2000 costs the same as an entry-level bike in 2022 after adjusting for inflation.

I for one am very curious as to the profit margins companies currently earn off their offerings in comparison to decades past. That is what I'm referring to when I say the modern bike industry is a scam, not frame material.
Old 10-27-22, 06:31 PM
big john

It's just unnecessary and overkill. Furthermore, when companies stop offering the more economical option (rim brakes for example) across their model lines, they force the consumers hand into paying more.
It's been shown, at least several places, that consumer demand has driven the dominance of disc brakes. If customers demanded rim brakes, they would sell rim brakes.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-27-22, 06:39 PM
amazinmets73

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
It's been shown, at least several places, that consumer demand has driven the dominance of disc brakes. If customers demanded rim brakes, they would sell rim brakes.
Who's responsible for the marketing campaigns to make consumers think they need rim brakes?
Old 10-27-22, 06:48 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
In order to come to any kind of conclusion about the material itself, you would need to eliminate as many variables as possible. You would also have to establish what "equal" means - Mass? Frontal area? Tube size/shape?... CF material can be manipulated in ways that metals can't, and can be made into more rigid structures with less mass. This seems like an unreasonable comparison to a round-tube steel frame, if you're trying to establish which frame material makes a bike faster. Comparing these two would (we could expect) lead to a conclusion that the CF frame is faster, which would (likely) be because of aerodynamic advantages and less weight. Yet, put the same human, on the same route, on those two different bikes, and you might come up with opposite results simply due to the inconsistency of human performance. Testing many times under the same conditions might lead to some pattern, but you would have to disguise the bikes somehow so the human is blind on which material they are riding so as not to influence the result with their subjective opinion.
To be really good, it should be a double blind experiment, but that could get dangerous.

Likes For rsbob:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.