Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A tall Calzone at the LBS

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-22, 06:57 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts

Sorry, not a food thread

Found this at the LBS with a painfully stuck Nuovo Record seatpost in it. Thought it was an interesting bit of framebuilding worthy of a few pictures - plus the "C" lettering might help for future identification threads.

Couldn't find much other than this reference on the Italian Cycling Journal blog: ITALIAN CYCLING JOURNAL: The "Bike Guide"

CALZONE: Italy. Domenico Calzone. Trained by Giuseppe Pela and Armando Zago. Via Villa Giusti 6, Torino Italy. Imported by Frank Israils, Ft Lauderdale FL. Information, Dade Cycles, 305-***-****. Most were green with yellow & gold.
Seems like the paint job speaks for itself and it never left South Florida.

The through-the-BB front derailer cable is a nice touch. No sealed BB's for this one - there's a guide tube running through the BB shell.

Something chewed into the dropout. Don't know how on earth this could have happened, though this is not the bike's original wheelset, so...who knows?

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 10-29-22 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-27-22, 07:35 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Oh, it's a bike! I expected to see a fine Italian dough stuffed with delicious meats and cheeses. Nice looking frame.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 10-27-22, 07:47 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Oh, it's a bike! I expected to see a fine Italian dough stuffed with delicious meats and cheeses. Nice looking frame.
Me too. 😉 Which is weird, cause I just had a cheapo Safeway calzone for lunch yesterday. 😁

Interesting frame, for sure. That's the first "through" the BB shell cable routing I recall seeing. 🤔
Old 10-27-22, 07:51 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher

-----

Me too!

usually order ricotta and spinich

---

mangled dropout -

its a longshot but one possibility might be that an assembler discovered frame constructed with the left seat stay made longer than the right...

-----
Old 10-27-22, 08:01 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Is that fork 100% straight?
Old 10-28-22, 05:55 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Is that fork 100% straight?
I saved a picture for when that comment came up. Headtube is steeper than the seattube on this as built. No wrinkles to suggest any front-ender.

Now that everyone shoots with cell phones, everything is cropped off a distorted wide-angle sensor. Note that while the fork looks fine now, the top tube appears bowed. I can tell you for sure that it isn't.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 10-28-22, 06:01 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I saved a picture for when that comment came up. Headtube is steeper than the seattube on this as built. No wrinkles to suggest any front-ender.

Now that everyone shoots with cell phones, everything is cropped off a distorted wide-angle sensor. Note that while the fork looks fine now, the top tube appears bowed. I can tell you for sure that it isn't.

-Kurt
This is why I ask, rather than just make an assertion. After too many "but my handlebars aren't THAT huge" moments when looking at my own images, the reality of distortion and parallax have been driven home.
Old 10-28-22, 06:01 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
What happened to the dropout?
Old 10-28-22, 07:54 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Something chewed into the dropout. Don't know how on earth this could have happened, though this is not the bike's original wheelset, so...who knows?

-Kurt
Originally Posted by himespau
What happened to the dropout?
Here is an earlier thread with similar "Damage" to the DS dropout.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...-accident.html

In this case, the wheel was apparently improperly dished, so the rim was closer to the NDS than the DS. So to correct the dishing problem67k, someone filed the DS dropout down and back, and the NDS dropout up.

If the OP's Calzone frame is in alignment, then you might be able to carefully weld in filler into that cutout, and file flat. Or, simply push the dropout adjustment screws as far forward as possible and mount the wheel in the front section of the dropouts.
Old 10-28-22, 08:01 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Why am I suddenly hungry? That is a really nice bike for a taller rider. With some prep and touch-up, it would make a nice rider. Most of the paint seems to be OK. The overall workmanship appears very good. A little touch-up, some protective wax and it will be just fine.

Not at all familiar with that brand. Does anyone here have one in their stable they want to show? I guess I could do a search in the forum too.
Old 10-28-22, 11:06 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Here is an earlier thread with similar "Damage" to the DS dropout.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...-accident.html

In this case, the wheel was apparently improperly dished, so the rim was closer to the NDS than the DS. So to correct the dishing problem67k, someone filed the DS dropout down and back, and the NDS dropout up.

If the OP's Calzone frame is in alignment, then you might be able to carefully weld in filler into that cutout, and file flat. Or, simply push the dropout adjustment screws as far forward as possible and mount the wheel in the front section of the dropouts.
The thing that sticks out to me with the Poliquin's "fix" is the obviously huge washer that was involved in that butchery.

Whatever the case, there's a Hobart 140 at the shop (though not with Argon/CO2), so they should be able to fill that up and file it out without having to burn off paint.

Originally Posted by TugaDude
Why am I suddenly hungry? That is a really nice bike for a taller rider. With some prep and touch-up, it would make a nice rider. Most of the paint seems to be OK. The overall workmanship appears very good. A little touch-up, some protective wax and it will be just fine.

Not at all familiar with that brand. Does anyone here have one in their stable they want to show? I guess I could do a search in the forum too.
I think there's only one or two others out there that I found on a cursory search. Was surprised to see such nice framebuilding with a crude frame pump peg, but that's what they had around, I guess.

Figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to get this (apparently textbook) example documented.

-Kurt

Old 10-29-22, 09:33 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I think you've got me on an Italian food binge, lol. I found some really good but cold lasagne last night, at a deli. 😍😁

Hey, I'm in Vacaville now, where they kept Charles Manson locked up for awhile. 😲 I'm not really stuck on that mess, just remember reading about it before. 😎

I might be more interested in Grizzly Island, but not sure about riding through on a bicycle. 🙄😉
Old 10-29-22, 09:44 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by stardognine
I think you've got me on an Italian food binge, lol. I found some really good but cold lasagne last night, at a deli. 😍😁
Now you've got me hungry

-Kurt