Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Light Weight Step Thru ebikes

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-22, 07:23 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts

I am curious about whether I am missing out on options for a good light weight step thru ebike. I switched to an ebike recently from a custom steel touring bike because of health issues (Parkinson's). Now my wife is interested because she likes mine (she has long legs and can ride mine). Because of our living situation it is essential that we have light weight bikes. So we are looking at ebikes that weigh in under 40 pounds. It is a PITA to get good info on weight. The manufacturers seem intent on hiding it. The only ones I could find were from Cannondale and Specialized and the Cannondale bike lineup seemed to be changing and was not clear to me. Also, I couldn't find any to test ride. I ultimately settled on a Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL EQ remixte, which weighs about 35 pounds. I was able to test ride one before I bought, although it didn't have all the features I was looking for. I couldn't find what I needed at any local stores (Washington, DC) and ended up ordering it direct from Specialized.

My wife would like to get an ebike in the spring. She would be happy with my Turbo Vado if I settle on something else. So, am I missing any good, light weight bikes? I don't need a throttle - pedal assist only is fine, although a come along button for walking the bike up a hill is a good addition. We are used to drop bars and would lean toward some of the ultra light road frames but our age and health issues are pushing us toward step throughs with more upright positions.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 10-28-22, 09:31 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
I would look to Specialized and Trek for something as you've done. Their bikes are the lightest FME. Giant and many of the other OEM's don't post weights for good reason. Most are too heavy, and the no-name brands are even heavier, although some are good deals and function well for their cost. You might scan electricbikereview & electricbikereport, which test numerous models. The other option is DIY, but much more suited to experienced tinkerers.

Last edited by 2old; 10-28-22 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-28-22, 12:09 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12190 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
I second starting with Trek and Specialized. But take a peak at the Gazelle Ultimate or the R&M bikes. R&M bikes are tough, but that also means they are heavy. They are also very expensive, but see if you can't find one to test ride.

https://www.r-m.de/en-us/bikes/homage/
Likes For late:
Old 10-28-22, 12:30 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 452 Posts
What is your budget?
Do you need something that folds for tight living space?
Do you need gears, or single speed drivetrain?

Last edited by cat0020; 10-29-22 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-28-22, 01:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Originally Posted by late
I second starting with Trek and Specialized. But take a peak at the Gazelle Ultimate or the R&M bikes. R&M bikes are tough, but that also means they are heavy. They are also very expensive, but see if you can't find one to test ride.

https://www.r-m.de/en-us/bikes/homage/
They are certainly heavy but my gosh the Homage is super comfortable and easy to ride. I have a Supercharger2 Rohloff that I am quite smitten with even after 3500 miles but the Homage is something really special. A full suspension dual battery, step through with rohloff and a belt drive (if you configure it that way) is an absolute unicorn, it doesn't exist yet it is real and ridable. We have sold a whole lot of them at the shop and people love them. For lightweight the Specialized SL line up is the way to go but for supreme comfort an Homage is tough to beat. The Gazelles are nice but the unishock on the non + stuff is not as good as it could be suspension wise but put a Kinekt on there and you are golden. An Ultimate C380+ would be my choice if I couldn't go all the way to Riese and Müller but wanted to get a tiny bit closer to them.

In 2024 or possibly in Europe sooner the UBN line from R+M is coming which is using the lightweight Fazua motor but I have yet to try it so I am curious what it will feel like and ride like. On paper it is a fantastic system but paper doesn't always translate to real world riding.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-28-22, 02:26 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
Another option is the Trek Stagger line. The step thru is 40 pounds (with a hub motor if you don't ride in steep areas), but a couple of pounds could be removed by taking off the rack, chainguard, fenders and kickstand.
Likes For 2old:
Old 10-29-22, 03:04 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I like the Blix Aveny or Sol~
Old 01-29-23, 10:16 AM
Sandykay22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great thread! I too am looking for a light weight step thru - so hard to go to a 60 pound bike *even from my 32lb touring bike! But my problem is compounded by needing a long distance touring bike. I will need 2 batteries for sure and racks that can hold 40+ pounds of gear! We are getting older but still find ourselves camping (about half the trip) so we will not always have nightly re-charging power and will be carrying our tent, sleeping bags and cookware. The Specialized and Trek light weight options don't seem to have either the battery strength, motor power or ability to carry much gear.

I am totally in love with a Nevo R&M I found at a local store, but the can't get over the sticker shock! ($9500). My question is whether or not it is worth the kind of money given that new technology will come along in the near future (possibly offering the lighter weight options). Will it hold its value for resale in a year of two if I want to switch to new light technology?
Old 01-29-23, 10:36 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

I just ordered a second Specialized Turbo Vado SL 4.0. This one is for my wife.
Old 01-29-23, 01:40 PM
Sandykay22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donheff
I just ordered a second Specialized Turbo Vado SL 4.0. This one is for my wife.
Do you feel you could tour on those with bags and the booster?
Old 01-29-23, 02:12 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1395 Post(s)
Liked 1,870 Times in 1,075 Posts

Cannondale Quick Neo remixte

I believe one model is under 35 lbs ... possibly around 33 lbs (?)

I just saw one yesterday in person - sharp - at first glance I did not realize it was an E bike
Old 01-30-23, 06:24 AM
donheff

Originally Posted by Sandykay22
Do you feel you could tour on those with bags and the booster?
I don't think it would be good for a complete touring kit. I got an adapter for the rack so I could attach my Topeak trunk bag that has small paniers. That works fine for carrying a lot of stuff for the day or for an overnight in a hotel. I wanted to be able to hang the bikes on my garage wall and lift it onto a standard hitch rack. At 33 or so pounds it works for that. If I had room in my garage to leave them standing I would look at other bikes that weigh more,