Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

On Concussion Protocol

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

On Concussion Protocol

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-22, 06:13 PM
Alleytom

Bikes: 92 GT Arette, 78 Paramount, 2012 Pugsley, Late 70s Gilmour, 74 Centurion LeMans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 35 Posts
On Concussion Protocol

Fell off my fatbike and not allowed to ride by doctor's orders for a couple weeks, so I have to go stationary. If I'm going stationary I may as well do it in style...

Old 11-06-22, 07:56 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Regarding concussion - if you really have a long-term issue it can be a PITA. Hope you don't. For two years I couldn't go down hills and especially if it was both downhill and around curves at greater than 25-30mph. Felt like I had absolutely no control of the bike. Quite odd and disconcerting. I think I'm OK now 5 years out, but to be honest I still haven't tackled any of the 50mph hills around here.

Does that paver have an electronic height adjustment?
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Likes For Ex Pres:
Old 11-06-22, 09:15 PM
Alleytom

Bikes: 92 GT Arette, 78 Paramount, 2012 Pugsley, Late 70s Gilmour, 74 Centurion LeMans

Originally Posted by Ex Pres
Regarding concussion - if you really have a long-term issue it can be a PITA. Hope you don't. For two years I couldn't go down hills and especially if it was both downhill and around curves at greater than 25-30mph. Felt like I had absolutely no control of the bike. Quite odd and disconcerting. I think I'm OK now 5 years out, but to be honest I still haven't tackled any of the 50mph hills around here.

I’m hoping for no issues of course, the helmet (and my teeth) took most the blow but we’ll see. I’m usually on the canals and am lucky if I hit 20mph.

And yes, got it on Amazon and control it with my iPhone🙂
Likes For Alleytom:
Old 11-06-22, 10:43 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Best to be cautious. Between amateur boxing (and know some pro boxers and former world champs), cycling (crashed a few times), and health care, seeing patients and family with concussions... it's a good thing to avoid.

The worst I've seen recently occurred at a casual group ride about three years ago. A fellow nicked the uneven pavement ledge on a notoriously uneven, irregular boulevard paved with large sheets of striated concrete -- the kind of stuff that's notorious for heaving along with the soil, creating ledges that can be nearly invisible amid the sea of light grey pavement. Poor fellow fell to the right, smacking his head hard, then slid another 10 yards or so headfirst into a curb. Fortunately the curb was sloped, slightly reducing the potential second impact. I caught the entire mess on video and it was terrifying to watch later.

Another rider and I were first to reach him, and fortunately this large group ride was accompanied by the fire department paramedics or EMTs, who quickly arrived via a golf cart sorta vehicle. While I was observing the fellow who crashed was reasonably coherent for a few moments, then lapsed into shock and began repeating the same few phrases every 15-30 seconds. His helmet was destroyed but there was no apparent scalp injury, blood, etc.

I heard second or third hand that he recovered, but never heard any details. I've noticed often when people talk about "recovery" from a concussion or head injury, they gloss over the long-term effects, perhaps to avoid embarrassing anyone. But I've seen family and friends suffer long-term consequences from concussions and TBIs, and wouldn't ever say they were "okay."

Others, like former heavyweight champ George Foreman, seemed to keep chugging along just fine despite some blows to the head that would paralyze most ordinary humans. I quit boxing in my early 20s, yet saw the long-term psychological effects on some boxers I'd known since they were teenagers in the amateurs, and later world champs. It was a permanent, daily struggle for many of them. Some have struggled with depression, alcoholism, substance abuse, behavioral problems and violence, with some jail time or mandatory confinement for mental health treatment. Much as I still enjoy the sport of boxing, it's difficult to ignore the serious cost to many participants.

My worst head blow probably came from a car wreck about 20 years ago. Broke my back and neck in six places, and I had a concussion, but never lost consciousness and retained a perfect memory of the event. But later I had severe headaches, vomiting and felt pretty lousy for a couple of weeks. Since then I've avoided most risky activities, although I've crashed my bike unassisted a couple of times and was hit by a car in 2018. Minor knocks to the helmet in the car incident. No head problems but it did worsen my neck pain and caused a pretty serious shoulder injury. I may just be lucky to have a head that isn't particularly sensitive to concussions. My mom was very sensitive to concussions, even without direct impact to the skull. And my brother, also an amateur boxer and much more talented than I, had what's called a glass jaw and was knocked down and out easily. I'm not sure he suffered any long-term consequences, as he died in a car wreck at age 40. But he always seemed okay whenever I saw him after he quit boxing in his early 20s.

It's tricky because some folks seem almost impervious to side effects from head knocks, while others are permanently impaired after a single concussion or TBI. But I prefer to err on the side of caution and not assume that folks can just brush it off and walk it off after a blow to the head.

Anyway, take care of yourself. Ask family or friends to keep an eye on you and let you know if anything seems amiss. Often victims of head injuries will be dismissive of concerns expressed by family and friends. Unfortunately that may have contributed to the death of actress Natasha Richardson. She fell while skiing, was under-diagnosed by emergency techs, and assured family she was okay despite symptoms of concussion or worse -- notably a severe headache. She died soon after from a brain bleed.
Old 11-07-22, 10:15 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Alleytom
Fell off my fatbike and not allowed to ride by doctor's orders for a couple weeks, so I have to go stationary. If I'm going stationary I may as well do it in style...
I hope you feel better soon. Now, tell me about that bike. It is painted just like my 84 Paramount but it doesn't have the same lugs or head badge.
Old 11-07-22, 11:54 AM
Bruizer

Bikes: Grazzini,Litespeed,and Pinarello

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 33 Posts
TBI= Traumatic Brain Injury. TY I learned something new today!
Old 11-07-22, 11:57 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 444 Posts
looks like you just passed the feed zone.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 11-07-22, 12:25 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
For those of us who have sustained Head Injuries or Near Head injuries, wearing a helmet takes on a whole nother meaning...

Be sure to pay attention to your functional properioception. That is often over looked during regular neuro exams. Test yourself by walking in complete darkness with your eyes open. If you are not steady then it needs to be investigated...

By the way, so glad you didn't pick your Rollers for your stationary work out... Ha
Old 11-07-22, 07:17 PM
Alleytom

Originally Posted by zandoval
By the way, so glad you didn't pick your Rollers for your stationary work out... Ha
Jokingly suggested it to my wife, she was not pleased, especially I after showed her a few of the youtube videos of cyclists crashing on rollers...
Likes For Alleytom:
Old 11-07-22, 07:20 PM
Alleytom

Originally Posted by beicster
I hope you feel better soon. Now, tell me about that bike. It is painted just like my 84 Paramount but it doesn't have the same lugs or head badge.
She is a 1978 that was repainted (possibly by schwinn/waterford) sometime in the 80's. I kinda identify with the bike, I was a kid in the 70's but the 80's were much better for me.
Likes For Alleytom:
Old 11-07-22, 07:25 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
Ha! Wahoo could slap a sticker on it and charge $500.

@Alleytom , glad you are up and at 'em. I hope you are ok in general and hope for a speedy recovery @CANkletcat hopefully you are doing ok too
Old 11-07-22, 07:44 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
For those of us who have sustained Head Injuries or Near Head injuries, wearing a helmet takes on a whole nother meaning...
And just to make this clear for anyone reading: Just because you may be wearing a helmet isn't a guarantee of a a future concussion nor prevention of a concussion in the first place.

Cycling helmets are designed to prevent skull fractures from falls/drops. They are not designed for and cannot prevent a large enough force from allowing the brain to smack the inside of the skull if it overcomes the suspension of cerebrospinal fluid that surrounds it. The impact can be linear or rotational as well; doesn't have to be a direct deceleration impact.

-Kurt

Old 11-08-22, 11:51 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
...Cycling helmets are designed to prevent skull fractures from falls/drops.
I git ya 888, They offer minimal protection. Of note I reluctantly had to slow down one of my local ride descents. My reward for a staged climb to the top of a hill was a long decent into a shallow gully. Needless to say, Fast, Fast, Fast... Probably its the only fast ridding section on my routes. I have had to slow down knowing that my bones, skin, and proprioception are not what they used to be, helmet or not! In the old days a front wheel blow out on a fast decent meant a few weeks of road rash. Now days it would mean an ICU... Ha
Old 11-08-22, 04:22 PM
Alleytom

And just to make this clear for anyone reading: Just because you may be wearing a helmet isn't a guarantee of a a future concussion nor prevention of a concussion in the first place.

Cycling helmets are designed to prevent skull fractures from falls/drops. They are not designed for and cannot prevent a large enough force from allowing the brain to smack the inside of the skull if it overcomes the suspension of cerebrospinal fluid that surrounds it. The impact can be linear or rotational as well; doesn't have to be a direct deceleration impact.

-Kurt
What is frightening is at most I was only going about 15mph, I do not remember the last 30 seconds of my ride before I went down, and about 5 minutes after, I woke up with the paramedics attending to me. I was on a flat paved path and have no idea why I went down. I did have wrist injuries showing that I tried to break my fall so it does not look like I just passed out while pedaling, but no mud, no rain, nothing wrong I can find on the bike...
Likes For Alleytom:
Old 11-08-22, 04:27 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
I've had a couple of crashes that resulted in injuries, but not a head injury - thankfully.

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.
Old 11-09-22, 04:32 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,270 Times in 1,272 Posts
I hope you make a full recovery. I have only had one serious crash in my 50 years of cycling and it was a pretty bad head injury. I was wearing a helmet and the attending physician was shocked that I had not suffered a concussion. I broke my facial bones in 5 places , including the orbital bone, but they did two MRI’s and no concussion. I was off the bike for 12 weeks. The most painful part of the whole ordeal was a broken left hand. I was only going 12mph and I got messed up so now I watch my downhill speeds. I used to love hitting speeds of 30mph+ but no more.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 11-09-22, 06:44 AM
stedge 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 16 Posts
As an aside that floor looks pretty hard. wear a helmet even on that trainer and I'd put wrestling mats or some such down on that. I have yet to have my own (though many other injuries) but my wife and children have suffered concussions (skiing, soccer) and they are no joke. Take care fo yourself and heal well and fully.
Old 11-09-22, 10:11 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Side note...do you have the story of that Waterford-refinished second-gen Paramount? Looks interesting.

-Kurt

Old 11-10-22, 05:52 PM
Alleytom

Side note...do you have the story of that Waterford-refinished second-gen Paramount? Looks interesting.

-Kurt
It's a 1978 P13-9, the guy I bought it from had no history on it, I think it is a Waterford repaint but not sure. It has 80's colors which fit me.
Likes For Alleytom:
Old 11-11-22, 06:28 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 519 Posts
3 head injuries in the past 5 years, 2018, 2020, 2022. First 2 no skull fracture, the latest a small non separated linear fracture in the rear. None of these did I have a concussion.
First was the result of a dooring while riding my bicycle on my birthday 9 June 2018, 8 stitches on the back of my head and no skull fracture.
The Second was a Motorcycle wipeout during Covid isolation, 7 broken ribs, collar bone, scapula, sternum, banged my head but had a good motorcycle helmet on.
Third was on a small 125 Honda street bike. Lady did a U-turn right in front of me with a food cart and I hit her front corner. Fractured skull and no concussion.
Old 11-11-22, 09:00 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Fell off my fatbike
I've been told "fat bikes don't crash" care to share the circumstances?
Old 11-11-22, 09:03 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
What is frightening is at most I was only going about 15mph, I do not remember the last 30 seconds of my ride before I went down, and about 5 minutes after, I woke up with the paramedics attending to me. I was on a flat paved path and have no idea why I went down. I did have wrist injuries showing that I tried to break my fall so it does not look like I just passed out while pedaling, but no mud, no rain, nothing wrong I can find on the bike...
wow, really weird. no ice?
Old 11-11-22, 09:21 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

It's a 1978 P13-9, the guy I bought it from had no history on it, I think it is a Waterford repaint but not sure. It has 80's colors which fit me.
Gotcha. There are a few others out there with the later paint job. Always found it interesting. Thanks for sharing.

-Kurt

Old 11-21-22, 09:08 AM
TomRea

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, I wish you a speedy recovery. A few months ago, I fell off the bike and hit my head really hard. I went for a small ride with my friend, I was riding his bike, and he had no helmet for me, so I just ignored safety rules. And I felt it was a simple road, and I have no idea what happened. Thank God nothing serious, but it took me a month to ride again because I was a little bit scared. But now, no rides without a helmet. Concussions may have very serious consequences, and that trauma is very well spread among bikes and sports players. Some time ago, I wrote a paper about it, and on https://studydriver.com/concussion-essay/, I managed to read some concussion essay examples, which provided me a lot of info about it. I needed to write a paper connected to it; that's why I had to read such examples. But anyway, it's better to avoid such trauma, to avoid all the possible consequences.

Last edited by TomRea; 11-28-22 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-21-22, 11:39 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
I’ve wiped out pretty spectacularly in exceptionally ordinary circumstances…. Never hit my head in a bike accident. Except once- on my way home, first real ride of the season, pretty ass-kicked… going up the last little hill- I messed up the downshift and I ran out of ass… totally fell down- my helmet hit the pavement and made this sharp “crack” sound. I got up feeling my head, the helmet- asking myself if I was OK- and pretty torqued that I scuffed my saddle.

Unfortunately, a nice young lady happened to be walking down the hill and saw me fall…. So I felt stupid.

That sound scared me enough to get a new helmet.

I’ve gotten the livin’ **** knocked out of me to where I felt sick- I assume that means “concussion.”

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.