Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Bottom Bracket for Quick 4

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-07-22, 10:48 PM
Nanomite
Cat-1 Sailboat Racer

Bikes: '15 Cervelo Di2 - '12 Serotta Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

I bought 2 Cannondale 2021 Quicks last year at Mellow Johnny's in Austin. A Quick 4 for me and a Quick 3 for my wife. I did this knowing I was taking a job on a tiny tiny island in the middle of Pacific ocean called Kwajalein. This is a brutal place on bikes (salt spray) and our only means of travel. No cars allowed here. The bikes have been doing well other than a noise developed in the bottom bracket. I took the crank arms off to inspect and the BB is wasted after only riding this bike for 7 months. It rains constantly and coral sand is also brutal. So my question is please help me pick the right one to order???? I did buy the 20 spline removal tool yesterday. And yes, Amazon does deliver to military bases but it takes a month. That why I'm asking here so that I order the right thing the first time...... or maybe even different ones just to get the right one. Cannodale Spec sheet list BB as just Cartridge Square Taper for the Quick 2, 3 and 4. The Quick 1 says FSA MegaEvo...... But that's another animal with different cranks.

Appreciate any help!!
Old 11-08-22, 07:00 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
I believe your bikes have square taper BB's. Unfortunately, many hybrid bikes do not come with durable components since most hybrid riders don't rack up a lot of miles. My guess is that these BB's have just a teflon bushing. My recommendation would be to find one with a real steel bearing so this won't happen again. IOW, don't go cheap.

You need to take yours out and find out the spindle length so you can order the right one. You should be able to see this written on the BB once you take it out. If not, you will need to measure it.
Old 11-08-22, 08:07 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
OP: one site I looked at said that the 2021 Cannondale Quick 4 used a "Prowheel 38T crankset".

Prowheel has a web site. It appears to be nonsecure, so the link below may not work in your browser (BikeForums software appears to automatically convert all posted links to HTTPS, which sometimes breaks nonsecure links). If it doesn't work, delete the letter "s" from the "https:" at the beginning of the URL in your browser and try again.

Prowheel | Products

That page has a contact option. If your crankset is a Prowheel and you can find the model number, you could contact them and ask what bottom bracket spindle length you need.
Old 11-08-22, 10:26 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
I cannot speak to what specific length you will need as that is determined by the crank but a pair of vernier calipers can measure but I can say I would recommend getting an SKF bottom bracket in the correct size once that has been figured out. It will be a massive upgrade for the bike and not one I generally would recommend but in your case would help quite a bit. It was designed for durability and weather resistance in mind with excellent seals, stainless spindles, larger bearings including roller bearings and even has a 10 year warranty including those bearings if you should need it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-08-22, 01:01 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Assuming that you will retain the stock cranks, you need another Square Taper BB with the same shell width and same spindle length, which should be marked on your existing BB (and hopefully still legible after removal, given the extremely harsh environment you described above). Because your two bikes have different cranks -- the Quick 3 has a 2X crank and the Quick 4 has a 1X crank -- they most likely have different BBs. I have a Trek FX which is similarly priced as the Cannondale Quick Series, so I expect them to have similarly shoddy stock BBs. When I went 1X on my Trek FX, I replaced mine with a Tange Seiki BB, which is made in Japan.

Tange LN-3922 Bottom Bracket | (benscycle.com)

Tange LN-3922 Square Taper Bottom Bracket – The Bikesmiths

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 11-08-22 at 02:45 PM.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 11-08-22, 02:23 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
I'd suggest buying a couple if they are burning out that quickly and receiving takes that long.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 11-08-22, 04:21 PM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by dedhed
I'd suggest buying a couple if they are burning out that quickly and receiving takes that long.
Good advice IMO.

I might even go with 3 - one to replace the BB in the spouse's bike (assuming it uses the same crank and has the same BB shell), plus another for each bike for after the assignment ends.

No BB seal is perfect. And salt spray, combined with lotsa rain, can be murder on bearings.

OP: if you have cup and cone wheel bearings, you might want to service those too - soon.
Old 11-08-22, 05:01 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Hondo6
... (assuming it uses the same crank and has the same BB shell), ...
The two bikes identified in Nanomite's original post, i.e., a Cannondale Quick 3 and Quick 4, most likely has different cranks. The Quick 3 has a 2X crank and the Quick 4 has a 1X crank.
Old 11-08-22, 05:13 PM
Nanomite
Cat-1 Sailboat Racer

Thanks everyone for the replies and help!! I did call Cannondale this morning and they said BSA 68mm but didnt know spindle length. I'll take off cranks and measure that today.

I would have responded sooner but military work computer doesn't allow me to go here. They allow Facebook, Instagram and Amazon but not here
Old 11-08-22, 05:54 PM
Nanomite
Cat-1 Sailboat Racer

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I cannot speak to what specific length you will need as that is determined by the crank but a pair of vernier calipers can measure but I can say I would recommend getting an SKF bottom bracket in the correct size once that has been figured out. It will be a massive upgrade for the bike and not one I generally would recommend but in your case would help quite a bit. It was designed for durability and weather resistance in mind with excellent seals, stainless spindles, larger bearings including roller bearings and even has a 10 year warranty including those bearings if you should need it.
OMG... is that expensive or what... I did however think about upgrading all of it to what the Quick 1 has with FSA cranks and BB. I think I'll order a cheaper one for now and make sure it fits before ordering that. It's a major pain to return anything from here. I ordered a GoPro 10 and they sent me a 9 so I returned it . Took 3 months and then the Gopro 11 came out so I bought that instead.
Old 11-08-22, 06:04 PM
Nanomite
Cat-1 Sailboat Racer

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Assuming that you will retain the stock cranks, you need another Square Taper BB with the same shell width and same spindle length, which should be marked on your existing BB (and hopefully still legible after removal, given the extremely harsh environment you described above). Because your two bikes have different cranks -- the Quick 3 has a 2X crank and the Quick 4 has a 1X crank -- they most likely have different BBs. I have a Trek FX which is similarly priced as the Cannondale Quick Series, so I expect them to have similarly shoddy stock BBs. When I went 1X on my Trek FX, I replaced mine with a Tange Seiki BB, which is made in Japan.

Tange LN-3922 Bottom Bracket | (benscycle.com)

Tange LN-3922 Square Taper Bottom Bracket – The Bikesmiths
I think that's at least a nicer BB than I see on Amazon and not super expensive. I'll call them and see if they ship here.
Old 11-08-22, 06:25 PM
Hondo6

The two bikes identified in Nanomite's original post, i.e., a Cannondale Quick 3 and Quick 4, most likely has different cranks. The Quick 3 has a 2X crank and the Quick 4 has a 1X crank.
Thanks for pointing that out. I'm not familiar with these bikes and didn't know that.
Old 11-08-22, 10:51 PM
Nanomite
Cat-1 Sailboat Racer

Just so ya know how brutal it is here on bikes...... This bike is 3 months old with zero maintenance. It is a Mongoose POS bike but still.....

Likes For Nanomite:
Old 11-09-22, 04:24 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
Originally Posted by Nanomite
OMG... is that expensive or what... I did however think about upgrading all of it to what the Quick 1 has with FSA cranks and BB. I think I'll order a cheaper one for now and make sure it fits before ordering that. It's a major pain to return anything from here. I ordered a GoPro 10 and they sent me a 9 so I returned it . Took 3 months and then the Gopro 11 came out so I bought that instead.
would not recommend upgrade to the FSA Omega crank that is spec'd on the Quick 1 ; Shimano 105 or Ultegra crank and bb would be a much better upgrade

(or if FSA - FSA Gossamer Pro AGX+ with MegaEVO bb)

but if your current Quick 3 is 9 speed - the better cranks might not be compatible (Quick 1 is 11 speed)

Last edited by t2p; 11-09-22 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-09-22, 06:40 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Just so ya know how brutal it is here on bikes...... This bike is 3 months old with zero maintenance. It is a Mongoose POS bike but still.....

Easy to see which cog isn't steel.
Old 11-09-22, 11:18 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by t2p
would not recommend upgrade to the FSA Omega crank that is spec'd on the Quick 1 ; Shimano 105 or Ultegra crank and bb would be a much better upgrade.
Nah, given the duration these bikes must survive in these conditions (see post #13), a good square taper BB is the way to go. The ones you identified above might be lighter and spin better, but is nowhere near as well sealed.
Old 11-09-22, 12:25 PM
Hondo6

I think that's at least a nicer BB than I see on Amazon and not super expensive. I'll call them and see if they ship here.
I believe Kwaj is an APO address. If so, Ben's Shipping Policy says they will ship to APO addresses via insured USPS Priority Mail.

Edited to add: Bikesmiths shipping policy says they'll ship internationally. But it doesn't specify whether they consider APO/FPO international shipping or not.

If that runs too high with shipping, you could also consider a Shimano UN300. They're available on Amazon.

Last edited by Hondo6; 11-09-22 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-09-22, 02:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Not really, it is a long term part. Designed and built to work for a long long long time in rougher conditions. The entire bottom bracket including bearings have a 10 year warranty which is not super common. Initially yes it is expensive but I look at longer term costs and in the long run that BB is just going to keep going and going and if something happens you have support.
Old 11-09-22, 04:43 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
Nah, given the duration these bikes must survive in these conditions (see post #13), a good square taper BB is the way to go. The ones you identified above might be lighter and spin better, but is nowhere near as well sealed.
so stick with the original crank - instead of $120 for an 870g crank (w/diecast arms)
Old 11-09-22, 05:20 PM
Nanomite
Cat-1 Sailboat Racer

I believe Kwaj is an APO address. If so, Ben's Shipping Policy says they will ship to APO addresses via insured USPS Priority Mail.

Edited to add: Bikesmiths shipping policy says they'll ship internationally. But it doesn't specify whether they consider APO/FPO international shipping or not.

If that runs too high with shipping, you could also consider a Shimano UN300. They're available on Amazon.
Yeah they shipped it today.... I even offered them to send a USPS label but they said no need.. $8 shipping to an APO
Likes For Nanomite:
Old 11-10-22, 04:57 AM
Hondo6

Yeah they shipped it today.... I even offered them to send a USPS label but they said no need.. $8 shipping to an APO
OK, then they treated you correctly. Good to hear that.

Best of luck getting the bike fixed quickly.
Old 11-11-22, 12:34 AM
Nanomite
Cat-1 Sailboat Racer

OK, then they treated you correctly. Good to hear that.

Best of luck getting the bike fixed quickly.
Thanks Hondo... now I wait!
Old 11-16-22, 06:01 PM
Nanomite
Cat-1 Sailboat Racer

Ok so mail came pretty quick for a change. I ordered 2 BB's. The Tangeseiki that was suggested and a shimano. Well guess what was in it that failed...... the tangeseiki lost its bearing cover somehow. A really strange failure in my opinion. I installed the shimano to see use as a comparison. All good and I really appreciate all the help.

Old 11-16-22, 06:48 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Question: are both the Cannondale Quick 3 and 4 the same 113mm length spindle? asking as future reference for other Quick owners ... PS.. that rusted Walmart special looks like 5 YEARS of rust in the Rain Forest i call home.... WOW! and YIKES! Keep a close eye on your control cables! Buy Stainless Steel cables when needed.
Old 11-16-22, 09:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by maddog34
Question: are both the Cannondale Quick 3 and 4 the same 113mm length spindle? asking as future reference for other Quick owners ... PS.. that rusted Walmart special looks like 5 YEARS of rust in the Rain Forest i call home.... WOW! and YIKES! Keep a close eye on your control cables! Buy Stainless Steel cables when needed.
I would just measure when it comes time. I would not rely on someone else's model and measuring nothing against anyone here just noting check yourself and confirm so many times things can change year to year or even sometimes during the year so it is best to double check or ask C'dale

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.