Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Removing crank arm from front chainset

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-22, 01:48 PM
JD4ever

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The pedal threads on my bike’s right crank arm are stripped. So I need a new crank arm. I can get the chain set off. How do I remove the crank arm from the chainset? I just need to replace the arm, the gears are fine.
Old 11-13-22, 02:13 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
I think you’re asking how to remove the crank from the bottom bracket—part of which is the axle that connects the two crank arms. Without knowing the make/ model/ year (or better, a picture) of your crankset, we probably can’t help you. Some cranksets require special tools in order to remove them.
Likes For smd4:
Old 11-13-22, 03:22 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
It is possible to install a threaded insert called a Helicoil which will restore the threads stronger than new.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 11-13-22, 03:30 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Please provide specifics. There are many types of crank systems so without details only a psychic can answer your question.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-13-22, 03:47 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,883 Times in 843 Posts
crankarm removal tool. google park tools crank arm removal they have videos and tell you what tool you need.

Last edited by jadmt; 11-13-22 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-13-22, 04:03 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
As FB said it depends on what type of crankset and BB interface you have. Check the various types and determine what you have. Cottered, cotterless square taper, cotterless ISIS/Octalink, Hollowtech II, etc. Even between some of these there are variations like older TA and Stronglight cranks with larger than the now standard 22mm puller.​​​​​​

​​​​​​
Old 11-13-22, 04:08 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3224 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,174 Posts
Based on the fact that you seem to be unaware of what type of crank and bottom bracket you have, you are unlikely to own the proper tools to do this, I would take it to a bike shop and have them deal with it. As dedhed stated, there are a lot of different bottom bracket/crank systems, and you would need to know by looking at it, which one you have and what tools are required.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 11-13-22, 04:28 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Sounds to me like the OP wants t remove the chainrings from the crankarm. He said he could get the chainset off but wants to get the crankarm off the chainset. Thus it seems to me that it's getting the chainrings off of the crankarm that's the issue.

That'll be determined by the crankset the OP has. He might be lucky and have one with 5mm hex bolts or he might be unlucky and have one where the chainrings are riveted to the crankarm. We need an image to know for sure.

Cheers
Old 11-13-22, 04:55 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Sounds to me like the OP wants t remove the chainrings from the crankarm. He said he could get the chainset off but wants to get the crankarm off the chainset. Thus it seems to me that it's getting the chainrings off of the crankarm that's the issue.,,,,,
Since he said the pedal thread is stripped, he needs to remove and replace the crank arm. However, as you point out, the chainrings may not be removable from the arm, so that's a second factor.

So, there are now 2 reasons to need to know more details.

IMO it's useless to try to guess, and the burden is now on the OP to provide the needed info, or admit to himself that he's best off getting a quote for the job at the local bike shop.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-13-22, 07:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I would just guess. I mean that is what we have to do so try it and see or consider giving us the needed info on what you have so we can help without guessing.

A helicoil could be what is needed but who knows anything because there is nothing in the post.

I would probably just take it to a local shop and let them take a look at it. It will be less headaches. You can certainly buy tools and learn how to do it but for that again you would need to give us some info so we can help and I don't know that is something I would tackle from what I can glean from the lean first post.
Old 11-13-22, 11:25 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
I don’t agree with most of what has been said here so far. We don’t need to know that much about the crank. A crank that needs to use the threads to pull the crank is going to be either a square taper, an Octalink, or and ISIS crank. All three can be removed with a pickle fork. Having the chainrings in place isn’t going to make that much of a difference in removal of the arm. It will be a little more complicated but not by much.

JD4ever: get a pickle fork from Harbor Freight or you can rent one from many auto parts stores. Put it between the crank arm and the frame and use a hammer to drive the fork down so that it wedges the crank arm off. It’s relatively easy to do and you’ll spend more time getting the tool than doing the job.

In the future, make sure your crank puller is engage as far as you can get it to go on the arm. The aluminum threads are very easy to pull out.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-13-22, 11:44 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by cyccommute
We don’t need to know that much about the crank. A crank that needs to use the threads to pull the crank is going to be either a square taper,.......
Hey, we have the requisite psychic here

No one before could help because we had no (zero, nada) info about the crank, but you've given advice based on it being a bolt on type. What if it isn't?

Cyccommute ----- Sorry. Couldn't resist. If you re-read the OP you'll see where you took the wrong turn. It references stripped PEDAL threads, not remover threads.

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-13-22 at 11:56 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-14-22, 12:57 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Hey, we have the requisite psychic here

No one before could help because we had no (zero, nada) info about the crank, but you've given advice based on it being a bolt on type. What if it isn't?
If it isn’t a bolt on type crank, it doesn’t have threads. Even with a crank that uses threads, we don’t need to know that much about the crank to give advice on how to take the crank off. There aren’t that many different ways to remove a crank.

Cyccommute ----- Sorry. Couldn't resist. If you re-read the OP you'll see where you took the wrong turn. It references stripped PEDAL threads, not remover threads.
Fair enough. I misread. But it seems I’m not the only one. It’s seems only Meile Man read JD4ever’s post right.

​​​​​​​ I’d also like to point out that removing the chainrings doesn’t require that we need to know the brand of the crank, the date of manufacture of the crank, how long it took to ship across the ocean, if the guy doing the polishing on the crank wife was having an affair, or any number of other details. Yes, there are some cranks with riveted chainrings but most aren’t. If they aren’t it takes a 5mm allen wrench (or possible a Torx) to remove them.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-14-22, 01:19 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Sounds to me like the OP wants t remove the chainrings from the crankarm. He said he could get the chainset off but wants to get the crankarm off the chainset. Thus it seems to me that it's getting the chainrings off of the crankarm that's the issue.

That'll be determined by the crankset the OP has. He might be lucky and have one with 5mm hex bolts or he might be unlucky and have one where the chainrings are riveted to the crankarm. We need an image to know for sure.

Cheers
Actually, he said he already can remove the chain rings.
Old 11-14-22, 02:01 AM
FBinNY 

It's impossible to know what the OP actually means. At one point he seems to say he can get the chainrings off. Then he asks how to remove them.

The only thing that seems clear is that the pedal thread is stripped, and that that he wants to replace the crank (while keeping the chainrings). But who knows, except that this is a good example of GIGO.

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-14-22 at 02:04 AM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-14-22, 10:23 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
It's impossible to know what the OP actually means. At one point he seems to say he can get the chainrings off. Then he asks how to remove them.

The only thing that seems clear is that the pedal thread is stripped, and that that he wants to replace the crank (while keeping the chainrings). But who knows, except that this is a good example of GIGO.
Definitely.

He actually never mentions chainrings. He says “chainset.” As I read this, he could just mean the chain. So it’s hard to say what he’s done with the chainrings. Adding massive confusion, he asks how to remove the crank from the chainset.