Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sport tourers with cantilever brakes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Sport tourers with cantilever brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-22, 08:13 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I personally refer to the Bicycling magazine description from a 1985 book called “Bicycle Touring.” See what I wrote above re the Centurion Lemans. Two chainrings, aluminum wheels, what “could easily qualify as an entry-level road racing bike…This is a good example of the versatility of good sport touring bicycles.” I’m not going to type out the entire section.

Another good resource is the 1988 Bicycling Buyer’s Guide. Not one of the 10 featured bikes defined as “Sport/Touring” bikes have cantilevers or triples.
From the 1985 Miyata catalog:

610 Miyata combines both touring and sports bicycle characteristics in the 610. The frame is designed for long distance riding while the steering is quicker, the ride stiffer than most touring bicycles. Like the 1000, the 610 features sealed hubs, Shimano components and triple-butted Chromoly tubing. Colors: Artesian Blue, Burnt Sienna. Frame Sizes: 18'~ 19½", 21", 23", 25". Speeds: 18 Water bottles optional.

Touring/Sport vs. Sport/Touring?

Likes For bark_eater:
Old 11-15-22, 08:18 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by beicster
I am genuinely curious about this. Does the presence of cantilevers automatically disqualify a bike no matter the geometry? Or, is it that no one made a bike with cantilevers and qualifying geometry?
Almost entirely the latter.

If you want a sport touring bike, (slightly longer chainstays, slightly shorter top tube, a bit more fork rake, slightly lower bottom bracket, eyelets on the dropouts, road-bike-gauge tubing,) with cantilever brakes, you've pretty much got to go custom.

Bikes like that just didn't get made. But if they had, they'd be sport touring bikes. The definition is about the bike, not the brake.

--Shannon

​​​
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 11-15-22, 08:19 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3504 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,774 Posts
You guys are free to call penny farthings and unicycles “sport tourers” if you want. Who am I to stop you? But just about everyone who grew up with sport tourers during their heyday will be laughing behind your backs. Don’t worry, you won’t hear us.
Old 11-15-22, 10:38 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 6,681 Times in 2,609 Posts
I personally refer to the Bicycling magazine description from a 1985 book called “Bicycle Touring.” See what I wrote above re the Centurion Lemans. Two chainrings, aluminum wheels, what “could easily qualify as an entry-level road racing bike…This is a good example of the versatility of good sport touring bicycles.” I’m not going to type out the entire section.

Another good resource is the 1988 Bicycling Buyer’s Guide. Not one of the 10 featured bikes defined as “Sport/Touring” bikes have cantilevers or triples.
Determining the category of a bicycle based on its components is fraught. In 1988, the primary mass produced bicycles that had canti brakes were mountain bikes. Fwiw, I have a 1974 British-made bicycle that was designed as a sports tourer--it came with MAFAC canti brakes, a five-speed block, and a TA Pro vis 5 crankset with 45/28t rings (or what kids these days call compact doubles).

And if you want to point to 1988 as some defining year, that's fine. Here's a chart from Frank Berto's Complete Guide to Upgrading Your Bike from that year:

And here's how Berto defines "Sport Touring Bicycles": "Most 10-speeds are sport tourers, neither racers nor loaded tourers, which is as it should be since most cyclists neither race nor to on loaded cross-country tours. Sport touring bicycles fall somewhere between the other two categories; they're called 'sports tourers' both for want of a better name and because it's a useful marketing term. The bicycle makers design for a particular kind of rider at each price level. The makers know that standard quality 10-speeds will never be raced and they design them for entry-level riders. At the $400 to $500 price level, many makers supply two models: one for sporting and one for touring. Two recent trends have made the bicycles sportier. The growing number of triathletes has created demand for higher-performance almost-racing bicycles. At the same time, the market for comfortable touring bicycles is drying up because increasing numbers of riders are touring on mountain bikes. Some sports tourers are actually 'platypi' with odd combinations of touring gears on racing frames. . . . The big problem in selecting a sport touring bicycle isn't defining what you want, it's trying to determine if the bicycle that you're reading about or looking at meets your requirements. The differences are subtle and bicycle advertising offers little assistance. The catalogs don't tell you where the various models fit in the racing-touring spectrum."

Yeah, he doesn't mention canti brakes or triple cranksets, but that's totally beside the point--he's focused on purpose and function. Makes sense to me.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 11-16-22, 04:53 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 521 Posts
I have both an 81 with stud mounted centerpulls and an 83 with cantis Centurion Pro-Tours. They are fairly decent Sport tourers.
I would rather ride my gugificazion Witcomb.
Old 11-16-22, 07:04 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3504 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Determining the category of a bicycle based on its components is fraught...
I don't think so. A bicycle isn't just a set of frame dimensions; it's the sum-total of the frame and the included components. I would never consider a bike with flat bars and steel rims to be sport tourer, even if it did have side-pulls and a double crank. I still like Bicycling's characterization that a sport tourer "could easily qualify as an entry-level road racing bike." In my book, entry-level road racing bikes didn't have cantilevers or triples.

Originally Posted by nlerner
Yeah, he doesn't mention canti brakes or triple cranksets, but that's totally beside the point--he's focused on purpose and function. Makes sense to me.
I like Frank Berto a lot. He speaks volumes in his omissions.
Old 11-16-22, 09:39 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,215 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater

610 Miyata combines both touring and sports bicycle characteristics in the 610. The frame is designed for long distance riding while the steering is quicker, the ride stiffer than most touring bicycles. Like the 1000, the 610 features sealed hubs, Shimano components and triple-butted Chromoly tubing. Colors: Artesian Blue, Burnt Sienna. Frame Sizes: 18'~ 19½", 21", 23", 25". Speeds: 18 Water bottles optional.

While that is what the ad copy says, the 610 and 1000 are listed in the “Grand Touring Series” section of the catalog. The 110 or Sport 10 in the same catalog is closer to a “sport tour”. In that same era, Univega (which were made by Miyata) made the Sportour and the Viva Sport which are both examples of sport tour bikes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-16-22, 10:32 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

cyccommute The point I might convey is that "Copy" writers are not framers of any sort of Constitution nor 10 Commandments, but It seems to me at least that the categories may of been created for the American market, and apparently a segment of the American market still demands surety and purity in their consumed commodity's.

Its seems that a lot of the examples of "Sport Touring" bikes with cantilevers are of European origin. I'd be interested in seeing how the classes of bikes were marketed outside of the American market.
Old 11-17-22, 03:00 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Not vintage, but a modern example of what you are describing might be the SOMA Double Cross canti version. It’s made of Tange Prestige tubing with a claimed frame wt of 4.2 lbs, 42.5 cm chainstays, rack and fender mounts and plenty of tire clearance (claimed to fit 38mm with fenders). Overall geometry is somewhat relaxed but still sporty.

https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/double-cross
Old 11-17-22, 07:36 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroGut
Not vintage, but a modern example of what you are describing might be the SOMA Double Cross canti version. It’s made of Tange Prestige tubing with a claimed frame wt of 4.2 lbs, 42.5 cm chainstays, rack and fender mounts and plenty of tire clearance (claimed to fit 38mm with fenders). Overall geometry is somewhat relaxed but still sporty.

The Trek 750/790/520 of the early 90s would be the vintage equivalent, with room for 700x42+. The 750/790 Multitracks were called hybrids and the 520 is, of course, a tourer but the frameset is versatile. The Surly Crosscheck is also in this orbit.
Old 11-17-22, 11:23 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,215 Times in 2,362 Posts
cyccommute The point I might convey is that "Copy" writers are not framers of any sort of Constitution nor 10 Commandments, but It seems to me at least that the categories may of been created for the American market, and apparently a segment of the American market still demands surety and purity in their consumed commodity's.
I owned a 610 that I bought new. It was marketed as a loaded touring bike and has a classic loaded touring bike geometry. The Trek 520, Fuji Touring, Univega Grand Tourisimo, and even the Miyata 1000 all had similar frame geometry and most certainly were not marketed as sport tour bikes. The Miyata 1000 and 610 even shared the same frame with different levels of components. They did marketed them as loaded touring bikes through the 80s up until they left the market in the 90s.

That said, any touring bike can be used as a “sport tour” bike. I use a touring bike (a Cannondale T800) today for my general running around bike. But others are mostly correct is saying that the sport tour category leans more towards the race side of the bicycle world.

Its seems that a lot of the examples of "Sport Touring" bikes with cantilevers are of European origin. I'd be interested in seeing how the classes of bikes were marketed outside of the American market.
European catalogs generally aren’t too different from the US version.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-18-22, 05:55 AM
bark_eater 

I think you enjoy arguing. Thats fine. I'm on a phone right now so parsing and multiple quotes will be to cumbersome.

I will limit commentary to this: my question and topic of this thread relates to bikes that are different from full blown heavy touring frames.

While I did suggest that the Miyata 1000 might be on the lighter sportier side of "Touring" frames, I have very little ego invested in that opinion.

Now from my research the earlier Miyata 610 frames are different from the 1000 frames. Sure the differences in geometry, add copy and rider experience are debatable, and absolutely relevant to this conversation.

Your post suggests that you have a bike marked Miyata 610 that has the same frame as a Miyata 1000.

So after that wind up the jist and crux is: Its great that you have experience with a bike different than what this thread is exploring, but so what?

Last edited by bark_eater; 11-18-22 at 06:14 AM.
Old 11-18-22, 06:34 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
This may have been discussed but would Randonneurers fit the Sport Tour criteria listed above?

We in the states do not have Randonneur or Brevet events, at least we don’t actually call them that we call the bikeathons or charity rides or Erotic events.

The ‘84 Randonneurer with a Mangalloy frame tips the scale around 25.5lbs

Just echoing this. They were definitely intended for touring, but I loved the ride on mine (my regret at letting miine go has been duly mentioned previously). Very spry and could do about everything.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 11-18-22, 06:47 AM
bark_eater 

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Just echoing this. They were definitely intended for touring, but I loved the ride on mine (my regret at letting miine go has been duly mentioned previously). Very spry and could do about everything.
Did these bikes have a "Death Fork"?
Old 11-18-22, 07:37 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 149 Posts
The "Sport Touring Bike" taxonomy has been thoroughly work over here, and touring bikes get gradated from heavy to light.
I'm wondering about bikes that have cantilever brakes, but are really "lighter than light", but not quite Cyclocross bikes and certainly not Hybrids.
<snip>
So what other touring bikes judged too light and noodley are out there between niches?
" A perfect Sports Touring bike but for those dammed posts...."
Going back to your original question, and allowing that in 2023, a bike made in 1998 will be 25 years old and "vintage", I think there are a few bikes that slot well in this category.

The Gunnar Crosshairs came out in 1998 and has the same basic specs as the SOMA Double Cross described below. Surly also founded in 1998 and their ubiquitous Surly Cross-Check is another match, although that may be a bit heavier frameset. Maybe Salsa was making something similar before then?

Originally Posted by AeroGut
Not vintage, but a modern example of what you are describing might be the SOMA Double Cross canti version.
It’s made of Tange Prestige tubing with a claimed frame wt of 4.2 lbs, 42.5 cm chainstays, rack and fender mounts and plenty of tire clearance (claimed to fit 38mm with fenders).
Overall geometry is somewhat relaxed but still sporty.
I haven't looked too hard at the Cross-Check or Double Cross, but I can say that the Crosshairs really isn't a cyclocross bike per se, but more of a relaxed geometry road-bike with generous clearances and braze-ons. For example, the bottom bracket drop (75mm) is more road than cx.

There are plenty of pics on the interwebs of the Crosshairs set up with light (or not so light) touring kits:

That load is probably asking a lot from the relatively light frameset, IMO.
Likes For CO_Hoya:
Old 11-18-22, 08:00 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,962 Posts
Did these bikes have a "Death Fork"?
Most did not. There are a few specific models that used it, but only a limited run. Forks with Bs were safe. I had a non-B fork and it was also fine. Only three incidents occurred if I recall correctly.

This was mine
https://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?...geViewsIndex=1
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 11-18-22, 08:01 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
If you consider yourself a “Sport”, the bike you chose for touring is a sport tourer. The geometry does not define a sport tourer. I sense some vitriol here.
Old 11-18-22, 10:55 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I sense some vitriol here.
Hair cream?

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 11-18-22, 11:49 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts

Most people consider the 1985 Trek 620 to be a full-on, loaded touring bike.

One of the things that was pointed out a while ago (going from memory now-as Vintage Trek is down) was that the 1985 Trek 620 had the same geometry on the front end as the 1985 Trek 660- a racing bike. So basically, the 620 was a 660 with an extended rear end.

I think where the distinction lies is the difference between a 42cm chainstay and a 45+ cm chainstay.

I think it's interesting how people are just losing their **** about this. It's a bike that's not a racing bike and not a tourer but has elements both. Kinda like how a "hybrid" was a cross between an ATB and a "road" bike.

Bikeforums: Where people smugly promote their superior opinions on lower mid-level bikes with lower mid-level components. Because it MATTERS.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 11-18-22, 12:01 PM
bark_eater 

Small bit of irony. While examples of this nebulous "class" of bikes seem to be uncommon, I have 3 reasonable examples in my bike pile.

A beat up British Roy Thame, an even more beat up British "Delta Sportive" and a Vermont made Bill Vetter, that ain't to bad but check back after I get the bottom bracket sorted.

Their all custom or at least semi custom. And their either European or European influenced.

Now as far as applying hair cream to Vitriol, give it a try and report back.......

Last edited by bark_eater; 11-18-22 at 12:08 PM.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 11-18-22, 12:46 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
... In my book, entry-level road racing bikes didn't have cantilevers or triples...
You certainly are fixated.

Just because some people used bicycles marketed as "sport/touring" as budget entry-level racing bikes, it doesn't mean that is the definitive criterium. It is primarily the frame geometry and wheel clearances that makes a sport-tourer a sport tourer. It's something that falls between sport and touring - could be fitted out to perform either function - even if it wasn't optimal for either.

For example, many 1970s Raleigh models were sport tourers. Grand Prix, Super Course. Grand Sports, International - all clearly Sports Tourers and all have been used as racers in some configuration. Some years, even the Competition had nearly identical geometry to these sport tourers - as would the MK-I Professional. Yes. These all came standard with two chainrings and caliper brakes, but throw a triple chainring on an International (I have a 1974 with a triple), and it's no less capable a bicycle for any purpose than if it had a double. Same goes for brakes. Granted, not how they typically came, but the added functionality isn't disqualifying.

While I'm not going to enter a road race with either a front or rear rack or panniers, nor with knobby 38's, I'm also not going to attempt a long-ish unsupported adventure over occasionally rough surfaces without at least one rack, possibly wider tires and also fenders. If I have a frame that supports either function, having it set up as a racer doesn't mean it no longer could be used for touring, nor does having it set up for touring mean that it could no longer be used for racing.

Back to the thread topic.

I got my wife a 1981 Miyata 1000 a few years back. It has cantilever brakes. It was relatively nimble both with the originally specced 27" wheels and the 700c wheels that I built as replacements. I have previously owned a Miyata 210 - which definitely handled like a touring bike, and a Long Haul Trucker (which most definitely did as well) - although the LHT certainly did not have canti brakes, and I don't recall the 210 having them either. Yes, the 1000 is sold as a Touring bike, and it has most of the fittings one would expect on a Touring bike, but it also has 44cm chainstays and handling is comparable to a mid 70s Grand Sports that I also have.

Last edited by USAZorro; 11-18-22 at 12:50 PM.
Likes For USAZorro:
Old 11-18-22, 12:51 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
It’s all kind of funny and I wasn’t going to reply but….. I think it is all where someone is coming from that is most important in the definition of sport tourer. A former racer thinks a sport tourer should have a fair bit of racy feel. An old slow guy or a tourer will define it as being sportier than their comfy ride, so that makes it sporty. The “show your sport tourer” thread is many pages long and quite varied as a result. It’s all a reflection of our starting point. Fun discussion either way, and I bet many folks owning some of the sport tourers mentioned would indeed be happy with cantilevers.
Likes For sd5782:
Old 11-18-22, 02:54 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_Hoya
Going back to your original question, and allowing that in 2023, a bike made in 1998 will be 25 years old and "vintage", I think there are a few bikes that slot well in this category.

The Gunnar Crosshairs came out in 1998 and has the same basic specs as the SOMA Double Cross described below. Surly also founded in 1998 and their ubiquitous Surly Cross-Check is another match, although that may be a bit heavier frameset. Maybe Salsa was making something similar before then?

I haven't looked too hard at the Cross-Check or Double Cross, but I can say that the Crosshairs really isn't a cyclocross bike per se, but more of a relaxed geometry road-bike with generous clearances and braze-ons. For example, the bottom bracket drop (75mm) is more road than cx.

There are plenty of pics on the interwebs of the Crosshairs set up with light (or not so light) touring kits:

That load is probably asking a lot from the relatively light frameset, IMO.
I think the Cross Check is probably the modern equivalent of what we’re talking about here.
Old 11-18-22, 06:38 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
The Six ten feels more like a touring bike to me, even as it's 73x73 frame angles were steeper than the 72x72 of the Two Ten and of the 1000.

Cyclocross frames often have 71x73-degree HT/ST angles, as does an early-70's Super Course. True off-road geometry, same as an early-90's mtb frame. Cyclocross bikes also have tight chainstays for climbing traction on muddy courses.

The Six-Ten's stays look fairly long, but not in the full-touring league like a Trek 720 or even an old UO8. The rack with some luggage on it really helps climbing traction off road.

Miyatas used some heavy-ish tubing so aren't typically on the light side. Durability is excellent and my own Six-Ten and earlier 1000 both held up to extensive riding on technical trails.

Last edited by dddd; 11-18-22 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-19-22, 03:08 PM
bark_eater 

The Miyata 610 just keeps popping up. It would be hard to confirm if the 82 caliper brake version has effectively the same frame as the 83 with cantilevers, with out having the 2 bikes to compare side to side.

I'm still intrigued with my own question, so I'll just info dump whatever relevant stuff I find here.

Starting now:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ring-bike.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.