Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Synapse fork brg discrepancy

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-29-22, 01:39 PM
yannisg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts

Bike Cannondale synapse HiMod 2012.
When replacing the fork bearings it was discovered that the Synapse and the Synapse HiMod do not have the same fork brgs which is not shown on the Cannondale technical data.
The brgs on the Synapse top and bottom are the same whereas the Synapse HiMod the top brgs is the same as the Synapse, but the bottom brg is larger. This information was not available to the local dealer.
I was able to located the top brg from the LBS which had the same ID, OD and thickness.
For the bottom brgs I got a FSA brg through the dealer that has the same ID, OD as the original, but is thicher by 0.3 mm. The chamfers seem identical, I cannot measure them accurately. No marking exist on the old brgs.
I installed the fork with the new brgs; it turns freely, and there is no play. I do not have the brake installed to verify the play.
Talking to the LBS he recommends using the old lower brg since the new one is not identical. The old one turns smoothly by hand, but since I did the overhaul I decided to use a new brg.
As views or recommendations?
Old 11-29-22, 01:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Get the correct bearings. Your local shop can measure the old one with a pair of calipers and you can then order the correct ones or you can try and reach out to Cannondale with your serial number and they can confirm the bearings needed.
Old 11-29-22, 01:58 PM
yannisg

The lower FSA brg was recommended by Cannondale
Old 11-29-22, 02:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
If you have a bearing supplier to your local industry nearby, then go to their parts desk with the old bearings. They'll quickly find you the correct replacement if those are not a proprietary design exclusively for Cannondale.

And they'll probably be a heck of a lot less expensive since your bike shop has to either buy from them or some one similar.
Old 11-29-22, 02:11 PM
yannisg

Originally Posted by Iride01
If you have a bearing supplier to your local industry nearby, then go to their parts desk with the old bearings. They'll quickly find you the correct replacement if those are not a proprietary design exclusively for Cannondale.

And they'll probably be a heck of a lot less expensive since your bike shop has to either buy from them or some one similar.
Local brg supplier will probably have a brg with the same ID,OD,W, but it will not have the chamfer.
Old 11-29-22, 08:06 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
I'm not sure I understand. It seems that you found a bearing that fits, and seems to work when the fork is installed.

So, what's the problem? To paraphrase Admiral Hopper: actually working is worth a thousand expert opinions".

So go ahead and complete the installation, check for play and free movement, and vertical fit. It you can't find anything wrong, then ride the bike.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-29-22, 11:29 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by yannisg
The lower FSA brg was recommended by Cannondale
.3mm = .012".... ain't diddley... my toyota calls for that as valve lash on the exhaust valves...run it.
Old 11-30-22, 04:22 AM
yannisg

Originally Posted by FBinNY
I'm not sure I understand. It seems that you found a bearing that fits, and seems to work when the fork is installed.

So, what's the problem? To paraphrase Admiral Hopper: actually working is worth a thousand expert opinions".

So go ahead and complete the installation, check for play and free movement, and vertical fit. It you can't find anything wrong, then ride the bike.
My LBS got me worried about not using the exact same lower brg even though I told them that there is no marking on the existing brg, and that Cannondale had recommended the new installed brg.
As mentioned, fork turns freely and smoothly without play so I'm doing to proceed with the rest of the installation.
Thanks, for responding. Your advice is always appreciated.