Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

I think it might be tire time :-)

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-22, 03:49 PM
Cworthy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

I've put about 1900 miles on this stock tire. I would show you a photo of the tread, but I'm not yet permitted to post photos. It's the rear tire on my Cruiser from Magicycle and the front tire, of course, has less wear. Most of the wear has come from riding on paved roads, with a little off-road riding added. The stock tires are made by Kenda, and I have no complaints about the tire. There is a ten-inch dark streak about 1.5" wide in the center of what little tread is remaining. It appears to be leaking Flat-Out that has adhered to the tire. It still holds air just fine. I've ridden 150 miles since I first noticed the dark streak, and it is still there.
The purchase of a good e-bike is a significant investment for most folks. You could almost say it's the same for replacing the tires on a fat tire bike. It looks like good tires will cost somewhere near what might be paid for a car tire. If you have a favorite fat tire, please let me know an I'll make a list of tires worth a look as replacements...thanks!
Old 12-03-22, 05:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Well if you are on paved roads a fat bike is the absolutely wrong bike for that terrain, fat bikes are really for sand and snow. Your best bet would be to find the narrowest tire that will fit on your rims (which is not something I normally say aside from cases like ultra wide tires) Since we have no idea what size you are running it is hard to give a good suggestion on anything.

I like Schwalbe for e-bikes but fat tires are generally not as common because most people aren't riding in sand and snow very often so they are a bit of a niche market but there is still some good tires out there. Once we know what you have we can make better suggestions. For road usage you want to try and find something with minimal tread. Those knobs don't dig into hard surfaces and the reason for that width is to help float over really soft surfaces which it doesn't sound like you are experiencing.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-03-22, 09:55 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
Your bike seemingly has 26 X 4 tires, and I agree with above. If the rims are 60 - 80 mm wide, probably a 26 X 3 tire will be accommodated nicely. I would look for something that is puncture-resistant.
Likes For 2old:
Old 12-04-22, 09:25 AM
Cworthy

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Well if you are on paved roads a fat bike is the absolutely wrong bike for that terrain, fat bikes are really for sand and snow. Your best bet would be to find the narrowest tire that will fit on your rims (which is not something I normally say aside from cases like ultra wide tires) Since we have no idea what size you are running it is hard to give a good suggestion on anything.

I like Schwalbe for e-bikes but fat tires are generally not as common because most people aren't riding in sand and snow very often so they are a bit of a niche market but there is still some good tires out there. Once we know what you have we can make better suggestions. For road usage you want to try and find something with minimal tread. Those knobs don't dig into hard surfaces and the reason for that width is to help float over really soft surfaces which it doesn't sound like you are experiencing.
Thanks, I appreciate the recommendation. Of course, you are right about the knobs on pavement. Although most of my riding is on pavement, the knobby tread is very nice when I'm on the trails. Perhaps I can find a quality 26" X 3 or 4" with less aggressive tread, but still good in off-road conditions.
Old 12-04-22, 09:26 AM
Cworthy

Yes, you are correct...the stock tires are 26" X 4". I hadn't thought about a 3" tire, so thanks for that...might be a possibility.
Likes For Cworthy:
Old 12-05-22, 02:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Cworthy
Thanks, I appreciate the recommendation. Of course, you are right about the knobs on pavement. Although most of my riding is on pavement, the knobby tread is very nice when I'm on the trails. Perhaps I can find a quality 26" X 3 or 4" with less aggressive tread, but still good in off-road conditions.
WIth super wide tires, the knobs are not really that needed in the little off road you are doing. Just get a smooth tread and when you hit the dirt run even lower pressure and you should be fine. If you are really going on snow and sand you would want knobby tires but if most of your time is on pavement that is the tire you want to focus on.

So often people focus on the least amount of riding they do so heavily they end up with a bike that is the wrong bike or parts on it that don't really help so for that 1 trip a year they travel or the quarter mile of dirt they run over on their commute or whatever it might be. You can always make do for most little things but you want to be optimized for most of your riding as much as is possible.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-05-22, 02:26 PM
Cworthy

That makes good sense. I guess now I'm looking for an aggressive road tread that will be acceptable off-road at lower pressures.
Likes For Cworthy:
Old 12-05-22, 02:44 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
As Mr VB said, you'd be surprised how little tread is necessary for dirt "roads" especially with fat(ter) tires at low(er) pressures.
Likes For 2old:
Old 12-05-22, 10:09 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 273 Posts
I use Schwalbe Big Bens.

Schwalbe says to put about 30 psi in them, yet they perform like a 80 psi.

I won't go into details. You can read about their "balloon tyres" on their website.

Likes For soyabean:
Old 12-06-22, 10:43 AM
Cworthy

Thanks for the info. The only complaints I've seen are that the Plus version is not as good on wet pavement as the non-Plus tire, and that the puncture protection does not extend far enough on either side of the tire center. Nevertheless, it looks like a good tire at a very reasonable price point.