Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Stem size and angles as it relates to mustache bars vs road drop bars

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 12-04-22, 03:34 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 830 Posts

So I know it is impossible to give exact answers but for those who have swapped between nitto mustache bars and drop bars (I know there a million different drop bars so don't worry about a particular drop bar just want to know your experience) or vise a versa what was the difference in stems lengths and angles between the two? Currently I have nitto mustache bars and a 80 mm stem with -17* drop. what would be a general change in stem specs going to something like a nitto b132 or 135 or noddle or similar bars? I posted a video in of my current set up in this thread if it helps. I like the mustache bars but figure on 60 mile and longer rides drop bars might be beneficial not that I have any complaints doing 50-60 mile rides with the mustache bars.

https://www.bikeforums.net/fitting-y...critiques.html
Old 12-05-22, 10:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Lower your stem as much as you can. If you don't see yourself staying in that position for very long then drops won't necessarily do anything for you. Mustache bars already give you the decent hand position similar to drops.

However I will say that I like the new short reach shallow drop bars that have been out for a while. The vintage bikes I rode for so long had drops with a huge amount of drop. Also, if you don't have STI's on those mustache bars, then you'll probably find the move to drops a little expensive due to the cost of STI's or dual control levers.
Old 12-05-22, 11:17 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by Iride01
Lower your stem as much as you can. If you don't see yourself staying in that position for very long then drops won't necessarily do anything for you. Mustache bars already give you the decent hand position similar to drops.

However I will say that I like the new short reach shallow drop bars that have been out for a while. The vintage bikes I rode for so long had drops with a huge amount of drop. Also, if you don't have STI's on those mustache bars, then you'll probably find the move to drops a little expensive due to the cost of STI's or dual control levers.
I have a 1x11 with bar end shifter and that is what I will continue to use. I used to use bar end shifters back in the 80's so pretty used to them. I like riding on the drops of the mustache bars and rarely ride in any other position. I like the mustache bars but wouldn't mind doing shallow drops ie the nittos b132 or 135;s
Old 12-05-22, 05:59 PM
streetsurfer

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 149 Posts
Hi Jeff,

I’m your height and age, but run lighter. Maybe 1/2” shorter. I measured three other bikes of mine and all have the seat post 26” from the straightbars on mtb/trail bikes, and also 26” seat post to the top crosses of the drops on a Le Tour. The LeTour brakes are not as far forward of the crosses, as compared to the moustache bar of my xoxo.
I like the moustache bar, and would more if I were to move levers, but it would still be a reach for me. By measuring today I realized I am in a
four inch longer lean/stretch riding this bike, compared to most of or the rest of my remuda.

I grabbed an inexpensive senqui bar to
experiment. I will use my shortest SR first. I think it is 60mm. Then my arrangements allow for going farther in reach, in maybe 20 mm increments, or so.

It’ll be a couple days yet, until I am able to manage this. And there won’t be any riding yet, but I will be measuring and aligning things based on my other proven acceptable bike positions across the others.

It seems to me I’ll find a good fit by bringing my brake hood hand position back by 2.5-3.5 inches. This bar itself brings me an inch or so closer. The longer stems are out I think. Likely to be using the 60mm.

Last edited by streetsurfer; 12-05-22 at 06:06 PM.
Likes For streetsurfer:
Old 12-05-22, 06:17 PM
streetsurfer

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 149 Posts
My other concern is drop width. 51 cm feels wide for me. Swapping to the others brings me closer to shoulder width at 42cm
Old 12-05-22, 07:52 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by streetsurfer
My other concern is drop width. 51 cm feels wide for me. Swapping to the others brings me closer to shoulder width at 42cm
I will be interested to see how it goes. I wish the stems came with removable face plates to make bar swapping easier.
Old 12-06-22, 11:04 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I like narrower drop bars. 38cm ideally. I rode with 42 cm bars on my previous bike for 4 years and though it was okay, I seemed to feel too braced and bore more of the road forces. My new bike came with 42 cm bars too, but changing them to 38 cm let me get rid of that braced feeling I had and the road forces get absorbed over a greater portion of my body. 38 cm bars were predominate on many of my older bikes I use to have.

If your elbows ever bother you, then consider if it is the wide hand spread.

Last edited by Iride01; 12-06-22 at 11:09 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 12-06-22, 11:12 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by jadmt
I will be interested to see how it goes. I wish the stems came with removable face plates to make bar swapping easier.
They do. You just have to get a threadless adapter and a stem for a threadless steerer tube. Though I think I have seen some quill stems with a face plate to let you change bars easily without having to undo the tape from them and remove levers.

But if you are changing bars, you usually will have to take that stuff off anyway to put on the new bars.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 12-06-22, 11:26 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by Iride01
They do. You just have to get a threadless adapter and a stem for a threadless steerer tube. Though I think I have seen some quill stems with a face plate to let you change bars easily without having to undo the tape from them and remove levers.

But if you are changing bars, you usually will have to take that stuff off anyway to put on the new bars.
I was talking about streetsurfer's and my bike. we both have xoxo's. yes velo orange and nitto both make 1' quill stems with removable face plates but
Likes For jadmt: