Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Canyon Sizing

Old 03-15-22, 05:41 PM
Bimmer69

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
Canyon Sizing

I’m looking to get a new Canyon Endurace 7 but the size recommended by their site seems a bit off.
At 5’9” and a 30” inseam they’re recommending an XS.
every other bike I’ve sized puts me on a medium / 54cm.

has anyone ordered that can explain why?
Old 03-15-22, 06:06 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
30” your cycling inseam or pants inseam? It's on the shorter end, so you could be between XS and S depending on frame. This is why it's more useful to refer to specific geometry charts and not get hung up on meaningless nominal sizes.
Likes For surak:
Old 03-15-22, 07:57 PM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,303 Times in 432 Posts
I started a thread with the exact same title in the Hybrid forum. In my case, when I enter my measurements for a Roadlite, they say (paraphrasing) "something is wrong, we didn't design our bikes to fit your measurements". I'm 6'-2" with a 31.5 biking inseam. I must be close though, because 32 inches returns a Medium.

Personally I think I should be a large, but I think they are recommending medium because the standover height of a large is more than my inseam.

I've decided to stick with a LBS where I can try out a bike before I purchase.

Mark
Old 03-15-22, 08:43 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Originally Posted by Bimmer69
I’m looking to get a new Canyon Endurace 7 but the size recommended by their site seems a bit off.

I test-rode a Canyon Grizzle on Saturday morning. I am 5'9" with 30" inseam. The Canyon fitting function screams that my legs cannot possibly be so short.

I test-rode a small, which fit fairly well. I probably could have used a longer stem. When standing over a completely vertical frame, it pressed a bit where it shouldn't. In practice, this would never bother me (I lean a bike when getting on and off), but I think it is the source of the weird sizing warning.

For reference, I fit a 54cm Trek Domane perfectly. Most would call that a "medium", but Canyon calls it a "small." Don't get an XS.
Old 03-15-22, 10:10 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
I suggest you confirm/remeasure your cycling inseam - use the guidelines in this video :
- a good video found and posted by another BFer...
Make sure you jam that book right up there... measure 3x, cut once... LOL!
A few of my cycling friends have a variety of Canyon Models, and to a man (they're all guyz) their best size is labeled one size below what they normally might have in other brands (except Trek...)
don;t let the size 'name' throw you - better to look at frame DIMS and base your best guess on what will work for you.
Here's a comparison of the Canyon Endurance Small to a Specialized Roubaix Small - in most all dim specs the Canyon Endurace is 'Bigger' than the Roubaix (except 'stack'). larger by quite a bit in Reach, TopTube, SeatTube, Headtube and quite a bit taller standover....
so, don;t get hung up on a label, use Dims, based on your 'good' measurements and well considered recommendations.
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: To reinforce that Bike Size names/labels are the worst way to decide on a bike...
Here's the comparison above, but with the TREK Domane SL in an M/54 added to the comparison.
IN most all DIMS the TREK in M is quite the same as the S in the Roubaix & Endurace, except 'stack' and 'headtube' , which makes sense since Headtube length has quite a large influence on 'stack'. ... So TREK label/size names are generally 'smaller' frame dims than many other bike brands, in equivalent models.

Last edited by cyclezen; 03-15-22 at 10:22 PM.
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 03-16-22, 08:50 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I'm basically your height. If I do the "jam the book" method above, my inseam is 86cm - although I wear 32" jeans

IMHO, the critical distance is my reach to the handlebars - Top tube length + stem. Depending on how you calculate it, mine is 64cm. That puts me on a traditional bike of 54cm + 10cm stem. When ordering canyon, that it the key measurement.

I got a Small (only thing I've ever ordered in small). My reach is a little shorter than normal (and stack a little lower), but it fits me amazingly well. I was surprised.

IMHO, if you are between sizes like I was, get both sizes, try them out, and send back the one you don't want. That is what I did (ordered a small and medium). Guessing and calculating is great, but when spending this $$$, I want it to be spot on.
Likes For chas58:
Old 03-16-22, 09:35 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Originally Posted by chas58
I'm basically your height. If I do the "jam the book" method above, my inseam is 86cm - although I wear 32" jeans

IMHO, the critical distance is my reach to the handlebars - Top tube length + stem. Depending on how you calculate it, mine is 64cm. That puts me on a traditional bike of 54cm + 10cm stem. When ordering canyon, that it the key measurement.

I got a Small (only thing I've ever ordered in small). My reach is a little shorter than normal (and stack a little lower), but it fits me amazingly well. I was surprised.

IMHO, if you are between sizes like I was, get both sizes, try them out, and send back the one you don't want. That is what I did (ordered a small and medium). Guessing and calculating is great, but when spending this $$$, I want it to be spot on.
good to keep some 'standard' terms = standard language and method
same should be done for 'stack'.
'reach' - measured horizontal from the center of the top of headtube to a vertical which intersects with the center of the BB
This the measurement/number quoted by most bike/frame geo specs.
so 'my reach' is some personal distance you decided on - not saying right or wrong, it's your number - but not really 'reach' as some comparative between frames/sizes/geo/position.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 03-16-22, 11:42 AM
chas58

Right, "My Reach" is personal - is from my butt to my hands; seat to handle bar (or as I defined it: top tube + stem). Don't need a plumb line to measure it either.

I get your point about what the industry does, but that doesn't meet "my reach;" it is mine, it is personal, easy to measure and what I care about.
Industry standard reach isn't that relevant to me, (unless I'm comparing frame geometry, but I ride bikes, not frames) - that is a different measurement from my personal reach on my bike.
So, what is your standard language for that? Reach+, something else? ;-)
Old 03-16-22, 09:34 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Right, "My Reach" is personal - is from my butt to my hands; seat to handle bar (or as I defined it: top tube + stem). Don't need a plumb line to measure it either.
I get your point about what the industry does, but that doesn't meet "my reach;" it is mine, it is personal, easy to measure and what I care about.
Industry standard reach isn't that relevant to me, (unless I'm comparing frame geometry, but I ride bikes, not frames) - that is a different measurement from my personal reach on my bike.
So, what is your standard language for that? Reach+, something else? ;-)
SO, yeah, totally. "Your reach" is yours, only. And Mine is mine, only mine. How you derived your numbers, is yours. And mine is mine. There isn;t a 'standard' for that
Given that 'Reach' and 'Stack' are now commonly used as geometry Dims, I try not to use those words when referencing any part of how I setup my position.
Those DIMS are intended to provide additional parameters when comparing bike frames. Whether we use it to COMPARE Bikes/Frames is up to us. But the DIMS of REACH and STACK are only related to other things we might need to do - to get to our desired 'position'. They are not numbers which DEFINE our position.
In context with OP Q - neither your decisions, nor my decision on setting our 'position', addresses the question of frame size or frame size comparison - which is at the root of the the OP's Q.
so, yeah, you're good with your decision.
yeah, 'reach' seems a good term to use for the placement of your butt compared to where your cockpit is. Problem is 'reach' is now also a defined measurement used in Frame Geo Dims. So using it causes confusion. I prefer to use the term 'position' to define aspects of how I place myself on my bike.
OP will have to decide if the frame/bike size name means anything or are there other things which might be more important to consider.
Ride On
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 03-16-22 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-17-22, 07:06 AM
chas58

Sorry you are confused. The post really wasn't written for you.

The proper term is "cockpit" Again, IMHO, it is the most important thing that really matters sizing the canyon (well, assuming standover isn't an issue). Everything else is adjustable.
The industry terms of stack/reach (typically used together) can allow you to compare frames, but don't tell you if the bike fits. It will give you a general idea if it is in your range.

The industry has played around with "reach+" as that does tell you bike fit, but its not really a standard.
Old 03-18-22, 02:21 PM
Bimmer69

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts

ah, yes you’re right. I did the jam-the-book thing and measured it as 32”.
so I guess I’m a size small. The Germans must be giants

I’m not really in a place where ordering two and returning one is an option.
I’d have to pay shipping, duties, and taxes to Canada, which works out to ~$600 per bike.
and then another $300 to ship one of them back. And spend ages trying to get the taxes and duties refunded on the returned bike.

As long as we’re on the subject I noticed most of Canyon’s line up is “coming soon.” Does anyone know how this panned out last year? Were the bikes actually listed as available to order and what timeframe? Wondering if I’m too late to the game.

Last edited by Bimmer69; 03-18-22 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-22-22, 06:33 AM
chas58

ah, yes you’re right. I did the jam-the-book thing and measured it as 32”.
so I guess I’m a size small. The Germans must be giants

I’m not really in a place where ordering two and returning one is an option.
I’d have to pay shipping, duties, and taxes to Canada, which works out to ~$600 per bike.
and then another $300 to ship one of them back. And spend ages trying to get the taxes and duties refunded on the returned bike.

As long as we’re on the subject I noticed most of Canyon’s line up is “coming soon.” Does anyone know how this panned out last year? Were the bikes actually listed as available to order and what timeframe? Wondering if I’m too late to the game.
OH, that sux. In the US, they have free return shipping, so I was out of pocket nothing (and if I hit my credit card cycle right, I never had to pay the bill). I live 18 miles north of canada, FYI.

Canyon seemed to be backordered often before the pandemic, these days its almost worth giving up on. I'll say, their customer service is above and beyond anything I've ever encountered. They must give them free brownies in the break room or something. Call them and ask if they have any info.

Small sounds right.
Likes For chas58: