Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Best application method of Clean Ride 32 oz. bottle

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-22, 04:56 PM
stephr1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts

Hi all,

Hope everyone's getting out and enjoying the great weather as we roll thru spring (except the east coast at the moment I'm enjoying my sunrise rides. Beautiful skies, tho, still just a bit cool.

Here's my question:

I typically use White Lightning Clean Ride since pretty much all my riding is in drier weather. Works well for me. I've always bought the 8 oz. squeeze bottle for ease of application. I was considering the larger 32 oz. bottle since it was a better price per oz. However, I assume that requires a different method of application (not clear from anything I've seen that the 32 oz. bottle comes with any kind of applicator...tho, maybe it does). So, what method do most people use in that situation? Dip? Brush? Other? I was thinking maybe a spray bottle (less fine spray, more of a liquid spray) but because of the formula I would expect it would clog up really fast. Also, the stuff needs to be shaken fairly often. Is that a problem?

Thanks and cheers...
Old 04-20-22, 06:16 PM
Alleytom

Bikes: 92 GT Arette, 78 Paramount, 2012 Pugsley, Late 70s Gilmour, 74 Centurion LeMans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 35 Posts
I refill the 8oz bottle from the 32oz bottle.
Likes For Alleytom:
Old 04-20-22, 06:35 PM
stephr1

I hadn't looked closely at the top piece (nipple/spray opening/etc.) How easy is it to remove? Any special technique?

Thx.

Originally Posted by Alleytom
I refill the 8oz bottle from the 32oz bottle.
Old 04-20-22, 09:33 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
If you can't remove the nozzle from the small bottle, look in the "travel size" section of a grocery store or place like Target or Fred Meyer. They sell little TSA-friendly squeeze bottles for putting your own shampoo and other liquids into. Heck, they might even sell them in the travel area of a place like REI. I've got a couple in my cabinet as we speak. I imagine one of those would work for you. They're sometimes sold in sets of 3, but cheap. You can also find larger size squeeze bottles

For oil lube (that doesn't have to be shaken well for use), I've transferred bulk oil into small ~6 oz oil cans you can buy almost anywhere that hardware is sold. That would probably work too, but being metal, you wouldn't be able to see to ensure that the solids are mixed up in the liquid wax type lube.

Last edited by Camilo; 04-20-22 at 09:55 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 04-21-22, 05:42 AM
Alleytom

Bikes: 92 GT Arette, 78 Paramount, 2012 Pugsley, Late 70s Gilmour, 74 Centurion LeMans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 35 Posts
It is a press fit, grasp the thin part of the spout with pliers (gently), then twist & pull.

Last edited by Alleytom; 04-21-22 at 06:24 AM.
Likes For Alleytom:
Old 04-21-22, 06:50 AM
stephr1

Originally Posted by Alleytom
It is a press fit, grasp the thin part of the spout with pliers (gently), then twist & pull.
Originally Posted by Camilo
If you can't remove the nozzle from the small bottle, look in the "travel size" section of a grocery store or place like Target or Fred Meyer. They sell little TSA-friendly squeeze bottles for putting your own shampoo and other liquids into. Heck, they might even sell them in the travel area of a place like REI. I've got a couple in my cabinet as we speak. I imagine one of those would work for you. They're sometimes sold in sets of 3, but cheap. You can also find larger size squeeze bottles

For oil lube (that doesn't have to be shaken well for use), I've transferred bulk oil into small ~6 oz oil cans you can buy almost anywhere that hardware is sold. That would probably work too, but being metal, you wouldn't be able to see to ensure that the solids are mixed up in the liquid wax type lube.
@Alleytom - Appreciate the photo. Wasn't sure how well the nozzle would survive trying to pull it out. Sometimes they're designed to be "1-use" only. My current bottle is abt 1/2 full, but I believe I have an empty one that has not yet hit the trash. I'll dig it out and try it. Thx much

@Camilo - Great suggestions! In fact, I'm headed over to Target this morning so I'll check it out just in case the refill effort doesn't work out. BTW - I tried oil-based lube and just wasn't happy with how gunked up it got. I immediately went back to Clean Ride. Does seem to work best for my kind of riding.

I am always amazed at the level of support people are willing to offer on this forum. Truly appreciate those who have helpful and useful information they are willing to share.
Likes For stephr1:
Old 04-21-22, 08:18 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
I'll add that Alleytom's suggestion is a good one and can be made even easier by running hot water over the bottle before removing the nozzle.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 04-22-22, 01:54 PM
stephr1

Appreciate the suggestion. I found an empty Clean Ride (8 oz.) dispenser and plan to mess with it today. If I don't destroy it I'll order up the jumbo size

Cheers.....

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I'll add that Alleytom's suggestion is a good one and can be made even easier by running hot water over the bottle before removing the nozzle.
Old 04-23-22, 10:44 AM
stephr1

Quick update....checked out an empty dispenser bottle of Clean Ride. Did not take much to remove the nozzle. Thought there might be some kind of snap in ridge but turns out it's simply 1 tube sliding into another. No problem at all. Hot water seemed to help as well.

Also bought the 32 oz. off of Amazon (hopefully not a "knock off" for a few dollars less than from a bike shop. Add to that I had points/$$ from previous purchases on my Amazon card and that brought the price down to ~$7.50/8 oz. bottle. Good deal!!

UPDATE (4/25/22): Just wanted to mention that when I bought the Clean Ride on Amazon I set it up for "normal" shipment ($0.00) which meant it was originally set to arrive on 4/28 (this coming Thurs.). I was willing to wait the week. Imagine my surprise when it showed up the next day!! Some days it pays (or, maybe, it doesn't cost to be willing to wait because you might just be surprised

Thanks again for the suggestions!!!

Cheers....

Originally Posted by stephr1
Appreciate the suggestion. I found an empty Clean Ride (8 oz.) dispenser and plan to mess with it today. If I don't destroy it I'll order up the jumbo size

Cheers.....

Last edited by stephr1; 04-25-22 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Update