Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

rubber wheel boot is rubbing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-22, 04:54 PM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts

I noticed that my rear wheel was dragging, seemed to have too hight friction.
I was going to disassemble and repack it but I notice that the cause of the drag is this rubber dust boot.
Off, the axle spins very easily. On the rubber boot seems to be rubbing up against the hub flange.
OR maybe the boot is binding on the axle (which should stay stationary). it does seem to be a very snug fit at the outer nut. maybe that is spaced incorrectly.
it's a cheap wheel but it's the only 135 spaced rear wheel I have so I would like to use it.

what might the problem be here?
1. is the boot supposed to spin freely with the wheel (and so NOT bind to the axle)?
2. or is the boot supposed to stick to the axle assembly and not spin.?

thinking about it I suspect #1 is correct. and so I have to figure out how the axle to spin free of the rubber boot

Old 04-21-22, 06:56 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 232 Posts
The Shimano ones have the boot fixed on the axle/cone, and thus the hub rotates on the boot. It does have some drag.

Clean the edge of the boot and the inner ring where it run. On the plus side, these seals work well for keeping dust out. If resistance is an issue, you may be able to ditch it, especially if there is another seal on the cone or spacer.
Likes For KCT1986:
Old 04-21-22, 06:59 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Sometimes the boot spins on the axle, sometimes is stationary. Depends on the relative friction between it and either the axle or hub shell. When it stays put on the axle sometimes it will emit a squeak/eek like sound, we call that a seal clapping. A drop of oil at the interface shuts that up.

I have to admit not remembering any of this type of external non drive side seal having enough friction to be noticed with a wheel spin down, and a lot (as in a real lot) of current bikes have this feature in one form or another.

I do wonder about where the friction is really coming from. Have you removed the boot and reinstalled the wheel to see "in the field" how the wheel feels? Could the hub bearing pre load be increasing enough, from the QR skewer's force, to bind the bearing when the wheel is secured but not when the wheel is out of the frame? Andy

BTW keep an eye out on the CR list for a Buffalo area ride with some friends soon. I hope Keith can show up.
Old 04-21-22, 09:04 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Seen this plenty of times with new bike builds where there's a bit of friction in the seal causing a noticeable slowdown, as Andrew Stewart, pull the seal back slightly and drop a little lube in there. Do clean it first, isn't a big deal and better to have it there than the contamination that could get in.
Old 04-21-22, 11:06 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I had a set of wheels with this type of rubber seal. Yes, on the workstand you would see that the wheel would slow down faster than a wheel without the seal. In practice while riding you would never notice it and be thankful that the rubber boot was keeping dirt and water out of the bearings just as it was supposed to do
Likes For alcjphil: