Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Seatpostclamp enlarge to M5?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-22, 03:34 PM
byenary

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I have a faiing seatpostclamp, probably tightend to hard en the thread is gone.
It was M4 , I would like to fix this instead of buying a new one... Can I use a tapset to enlarge the M4 hole to M5? What is the process to do this, drill with 4 and then use a M5 tap? I'm new in tapping :-)
Thx
Old 08-27-22, 04:12 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
The answers are maybes. First thing i would want to understand is why the OEM clamp became an issue. You say aero. As in a non round seat post? The clamp having a tapered rear profile? Both?

If the issue turns out to be the clamp's binder slot closing up and if the replacement clamp has the same potential than no bigger binder bolt will cure that. It's more common for aero clamps to have binder slot closing up problems and it's harder to open up the slot with a file.

When considering sixing up a clamp's bolt a few aspects are to be minded. First is the amount of surrounding material about the OEM (and "smaller") bolt. Will opening up the hole compromise the clamp's strength or interfere with something else. If the clamp has the threads for the bolt to engage (a threaded hole) will there be enough threads with the coarser pitch that a larger bolt usually has? About 4 or 5 threads of overlap are where max "strength" begins). If the clamp has counterbores for the bolt heads to nestle into they will likely need enlarging too. Counter bores are not cheap.

The common 5x.8 (M5) thread wants a 4.2mm pilot hole (not a 4mm), I use a #19 drill (.1660"). Andy
Old 08-27-22, 04:20 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by byenary
Hi,
I have a faiing seatpostclamp, probably tightend to hard en the thread is gone.
It was M4 , I would like to fix this instead of buying a new one... Can I use a tapset to enlarge the M4 hole to M5? What is the process to do this, drill with 4 and then use a M5 tap? I'm new in tapping :-)
Thx
You'd best practice the technique on something that's throwaway first.
Don't practice on something you can't afford to screw up.
Old 08-27-22, 05:50 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Is your seatpost clamp a removable collar type? Is it circular, not oval or aero? If yes to both questions, replacement seatpost collars are readily available from almost any bike shop or on-line bike shop or Amazon to fit a wide range of seat tube diameters.
Old 08-27-22, 06:33 PM
hevysrf

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
Instead of tapping, drill out the threads and use a longer bolt with a nut and washer on the outside.
Likes For hevysrf:
Old 08-29-22, 03:02 PM
byenary

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hevysrf ah that seems the most safe option :-)
Andrew R Stewart ]hx for the info, that was I was looking for drill 4.2 for a m5, altough I could just buy a new one for 10$ but I like to fix stuff so gonna give it a go !

Thx !