Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

2023 Allant+ 8s - going cafe vs commuter

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-22, 11:41 PM
ClayH 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts

So I picked up my 2023 Trek Allant+ 8S today. I work in a bike shop and came in on my day off to build it. I choose the 8s over the 7s after much back and forth about the bike being too stiff for my old body after riding a 9.9S on a bad surface. I was thinking front suspension would be nice and will see how the next few rides go but man... it feels sweet on smooth surfaces. I may go with a Rock Shox 100mm Reba and suspension seat post to broaden the range of the bike.

I live in a nearly rainless climate and will be riding for fun/exercise, not commuting, So I removed the fenders, rack, and kickstand. Did a tidy routing of the controls and I'm pleased with the more aggressive look. Also dropped a few pounds to a svelt 53.0 lbs.

Not much fun to put in the back of my wagon, but the weight is hardly noticeable once underway.

Pics to follow tomorrow.

Edited-Day 1 night photo

Last edited by ClayH; 10-30-22 at 01:37 AM.
Likes For ClayH:
Old 10-20-22, 12:28 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
I wonder if that bike can handle larger front suspension (knowing of course 100mm is not much by todays standards). You might consider either a carbon fork Whisky, Salsa, ENVE and some others make some excellent forks with mounts for stuff and plenty of room for those tires which are a good standard e-bike size these days in the 650b 2.3.-2.8. Or if you can't go 100mm you might try the Fox 32 TaperCast or RockShox Rudy XPLRs.

For seatpost Kinekt all the way don't bother with the rest.

Excited to see it though love when people go beyond the norm on Bosch and other builds like that. I want to do more to my Supercharger but I have kind of going as far as I can that would be practical. I need to get pictures of mine, I should clean it up and take some pics soon.
Old 10-20-22, 01:44 AM
ClayH 

A few night pics.

I have the privilege of getting to go to a Bosch training session next week. Timely!

Likes For ClayH:
Old 10-20-22, 07:09 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 845 Times in 589 Posts
Beautiful ride! I'd have kept the kickstand on, if nothing else. For me, in NYC, the fenders would have stayed as well. Anyways, enjoy that baby!!!
Old 10-20-22, 08:08 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 620 Posts
Nice ride; wouldn't need suspension in the "OC" since the roads and bike paths are smooth (FME). It would be really interesting (to me) to hear the gist of what you learn from Bosch.

Last edited by 2old; 10-20-22 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-20-22, 06:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Yeah I think Bosch training for me is in a month. Though really we are just doing it to stay certified at this point we have been a Bosch shop for like 6 years or so but am curious to learn more about the Smart System stuff.

Agreed with tds101 E bikes are the one place I am wholly for kickstands especially rear mounted. The fenders are handy where I am as well but I know there are people who are lucky enough to have no rain ever.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-30-22, 01:50 AM
ClayH 

Latest update.

I added a stem riser and am playing with different stem heights to see what feels best. The original position is pretty comfortable and feels quicker, but pressure on my hands is always an issue.

So I added some older Profile bar ends and wrapped them with inner tubes to see if the additional hand positions are welcome.

Added a Cane Creek eesilk seatpost. 20 mm travel using the medium elastomer. Just enough to take the edge off of larger bumps and zero bounce when spinning.

Today , WTB Horizon Tubeless tires. 47 mm. Same outer diameter as a 700 x 28 c tire. They are advertised at 40% the weight of the H6 Hardcase that comes on the bike. At 50 psi these tires feel so supple and sticky. Hope to put on some miles tomorrow!

Likes For ClayH:
Old 10-30-22, 07:49 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 845 Times in 589 Posts
Love it!
Old 10-30-22, 02:52 PM
2old

You might consider revgrips, which a friend swears by for hand comfort. I just purchased a pair for my son, but haven't installed them yet.
Old 10-30-22, 03:50 PM
rvman

Bikes: Jamis commuter 2 , engwe EP-2 Pro 750 watt

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Nice bike.
Old 10-30-22, 06:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Love the tan walls but Ergon always for flat bars always. If RevGrips and Ergon could collaborate I might be interested but don't want to go without my ergonomic flat palm section. My hands do thank me because sometimes I do maltreat them while typing and doing other tasks.
Old 10-30-22, 07:04 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
the fat tires made me not need a suspension fork. my bulls with 1.5" tires and a rock shox fork was a harsher ride. I also ad marathon plus tires on it so that did not help. but still those fat tires at 50 psi do well. but they also slow the bike down so tradeoffs.
Old 10-31-22, 01:15 AM
ClayH 

So I got in a quick hour ride through Bolsa Chica tonight to test out these tires. I was a little concerned about going to a smaller volume tire considering the bike's weight, but the ride is much more compliant with these tires on decent streets. The softer sidewalls and grippy tread are eerily quiet. The sound actually reminded me of riding Clement Seta tubulars in my early days on a quiet bike trail at night...just the hum of the tire on the road and nothing else. It was intoxicating then, and still is! This tire is 650g( x2 ) lighter than the E6. That is a huge weight loss where it matters most - even on an e-bike. BTW, I did re-install the kickstand begrudgingly.
Likes For ClayH:
Old 10-31-22, 04:06 PM
2old

Update: The Revgrips were installed and we went for a ride. My son who broke his wrist (twice AIR) skateboarding said they're a revelation. Even though my wrists are fine, I'll be purchasing a pair soon.
Likes For 2old: