Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Oops!

Old 11-11-22, 08:32 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Oops!

Fires from exploding e-bike batteries multiply in NYC — sometimes fatally - OPB
Old 11-12-22, 09:04 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Note that the pictures of burnt ebikes are all of the large scooter variety. Many of those still use lead acid batteries, which if improperly charged, have always presented a hazard caused by outgassing hydrogen gas. However, it is true that all battery chemistries present a hazard when charged improperly. Apple, Lenovo, and HP, among others, have all had recalls due to their laptop computers presenting a fire hazard while charging.

This risk is not new. Nor is it limited to ebikes. However, in the case of ebikes, nearly all cases, the hazard is a result of using the wrong charger. This hazard is something that can be easily mitigated by using the correct charger.
Likes For Robert C:
Old 11-12-22, 11:46 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 584 Posts
OK,....

Old 12-06-22, 07:50 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Mostly cheaper batteries and incorrect chargers (mentioned above). I would gamble to say these issues are not found with larger well known manufactures. A lot of garbage is being manufactured in China (lower cost ebikes).
Typically these article never identify brand/manufacture of the ebikes in these occurances.
Likes For CodyDog:
Old 12-08-22, 05:25 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
Note that the pictures of burnt ebikes are all of the large scooter variety. Many of those still use lead acid batteries, which if improperly charged, have always presented a hazard caused by outgassing hydrogen gas. However, it is true that all battery chemistries present a hazard when charged improperly. Apple, Lenovo, and HP, among others, have all had recalls due to their laptop computers presenting a fire hazard while charging.

This risk is not new. Nor is it limited to ebikes. However, in the case of ebikes, nearly all cases, the hazard is a result of using the wrong charger. This hazard is something that can be easily mitigated by using the correct charger.
I think it is safe to say that NONE of the hundreds of e-bike fires documented in news stories of the last two years have been from lead-acid batteries. That was easy.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 12-08-22, 06:48 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I think it is safe to say that NONE of the hundreds of e-bike fires documented in news stories of the last two years have been from lead-acid batteries. That was easy.
Cars also.

It surprises me that many do not know that draining a Li-ion battery too far will cause a fire or explosion. Most, if not all, of the Tesla fires were when the car was left alone. Same for the flashlight that went through the side of the desk. And other flashlights on Candlepower forums. Happened to me too. I thought a new flashlight had a switch problem and I kept turning it on. It popped and released lithium gas almost in my and my dog's face. Many of the high-powered flashlight size batteries have built in protection now. somewhere this took down a plane, a long time ago. Also, the hover boards. Etc. I saw a sign at the post office, if I understand correctly
they won't put them on a plane.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 12-08-22 at 07:05 PM. Reason: forgot something