Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Deer in the woods

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-22, 10:31 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Deer in the woods

I saw this meme in another non-cycling forum. But I immediately thought about how this happens to me all the time on rides through wooded areas. I hear rustling just off the side of the road and think surely that must be a deer/moose/bear…only to look over and see only a squirrel. — Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 11-13-22, 06:02 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Cnipmunks are even noisier than squirrels. Bears can move through the woods silently.
Old 11-13-22, 06:07 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Every, single, deer, hunter, knows this
Likes For dedhed:
Old 11-13-22, 06:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
good meme except for the "fat girl" part
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-13-22, 07:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I can say from experience that if I get close enough to a deer for us to startle each other, the deer running makes plenty of noise. If you're close enough to a bear to actually hear it, you might be in trouble.
Old 11-13-22, 08:42 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
You've never been to Walmart, have you? If you went into the Walmarts near me it makes perfect sense.
Likes For skidder:
Old 11-13-22, 09:55 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Had a deer startle me while riding. Stopped by a fence to allow some further back to catch up. Unknown to me, on the other side of the fence, was momma deer and fawn. Realized she was there when I heard her snort! Glad the fence was between us! They were less than silent going back into the woods. But yes, on a normal basis you won't hear them.
Old 11-13-22, 10:06 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Often hear their hoof beats as they take off.
Old 11-13-22, 10:20 AM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Often hear their hoof beats as they take off.
I had a deer just miss running straight into me on a bike path along a 4 land highway. He was trying to cross the road and his hoofs were flailing about from I guess the asphalt road bed. If I hadn't started braking when I saw him. He would have slammed right into to me. He missed my front wheel by inches. His panic was the funniest thing I had seen in a long time.
Old 11-13-22, 10:31 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
FYI, I didn’t create the meme. I just copied and pasted. Perhaps it could have said 300 lbs “weight challenged person” instead.

Dan
Old 11-13-22, 03:32 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
The following is a true story.

A few months ago I was hiking in the mountains after dark with my dog. I had a good headlight, but we were in a densely wooded area, so I could see the trail ahead of us and trees immediately surrounding, but nothing beyond.

I heard something moving, a few footsteps or a little shuffle on the twigs and rocks lining the ground. Whatever it was, it sounded close. I stopped and held very still. Nothing. I pointed my light toward where the sound came from. Only trees.

My first thought was that it’s probably just a deer. I heard it move again, just one more step, and then silence.

I thought I’d better restrain my dog so there’s one less thing out of my control. I reached down and attached the leash to her collar while still listening and scanning the darkness.

Next I thought that although a deer or elk was the most likely explanation, it could also be a cougar, bear, or… a Sasquatch. Maybe a chupacabra or wendigo. I’m not really an expert on wendigos, their behavior, or their typical range during that season, but in that moment it seemed completely plausible that I was facing an imminent attack from one.

I wondered if I should make a bit of racket to scare off whatever it was or at least get it to move again. I considered loudly grunting, “Who’s out there?” I really didn’t think I was dealing with a human, so of course I would get no reply, unless it turned out to be a Sasquatch, perhaps. Later, I thought I really should have picked up a small rock and tossed it into the woods in the direction away from where my trail was headed. If I’d been dealing with some innocent thing that’s as fearful of me as I am of it, the sound might scare it away. On the other hand, if I were being stalked by something powerful and malevolent, it might have moved toward the sound. You know, the old decoy-stone-toss-and-run-the-other-direction routine. That one might even work on aliens, and I definitely didn’t want to get probed.

After several tense seconds, I simply started walking again, but faster (a lot faster). I found renewed interest in getting back to the highway quickly, which turned out to be less than a half mile away. I looked back over my shoulder a few times and never saw anything following.

I hindsight, I probably got myself worked up over a squirrel, a rabbit, or even a bird. Then again, it could have been a deer. Probably not a giant bloodthirsty mutant zombie deer, but you never know.
Old 11-13-22, 03:47 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Originally Posted by Gyro
I had a deer just miss running straight into me on a bike path along a 4 land highway. He was trying to cross the road and his hoofs were flailing about from I guess the asphalt road bed. If I hadn't started braking when I saw him. He would have slammed right into to me. He missed my front wheel by inches. His panic was the funniest thing I had seen in a long time.
A good chunk of car hits are the deer hitting the car, not a car hitting a deer.
Old 11-13-22, 03:54 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I can say from experience that if I get close enough to a deer for us to startle each other, the deer running makes plenty of noise. If you're close enough to a bear to actually hear it, you might be in trouble.
Depends on the brand of bear and their personal demeanor. This black bear was 10 yards in front of me looking back before I noticed it coming out of my stand in the dark. A couple of "Get out of here bear" and it did. Did a lot of looking over my shoulder the rest of the way out of the woods.

Likes For dedhed:
Old 11-13-22, 04:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Depends on the brand of bear and their personal demeanor. This black bear was 10 yards in front of me looking back before I noticed it coming out of my stand in the dark. A couple of "Get out of here bear" and it did. Did a lot of looking over my shoulder the rest of the way out of the woods.

I'm just suggesting that why squirrels seem so much louder is because we're a lot closer than 10 yards away from them. I was within about 50 feet of some pretty big black bears a couple months ago, and I definitely didn't hear them. Squirrels usually seem to be in the bushes near me or, worse, a couple inches in front of my front tire.
Old 11-13-22, 05:01 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
A squirrel has a relatively large “contact patch” with a leaf covered forest floor and ambulates much different than a deer.