Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brake locking spacer thingy?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-28-22, 01:43 AM
Guerc 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 36 Posts

What are these serrated locking brake spacer things called? And where can I buy a dozen or so for current and future project bikes?

Im talking about the bottom ones in the picture. They are used to keep the brake caliper aligned. Most bikes have them, some don’t. I have a very small stock of spares, and I guard those jealously.

i have a bag of substitute locking washers (middle of pic) that work reasonably well in a pinch but are not quite right. I use these ones sparingly. I bought a bag from a general purpose hardware store about a decade or so ago for about $0.80/dozen.

My financial situation has improved to the point that I think I can spring for the real ones, maybe even a bag of legit Campagnolo ones.

I am surrounded by big box bike shops who are often of no help. Anyone know where I can order some, while I also stock up on cable ferrules and cable ends.

(Campagnolo crank bolt provided for scale, and to add Italian authenticity to this post).

Last edited by Guerc; 11-28-22 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-28-22, 06:04 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
Dia Compe washers

https://www.google.com/search?q=dia+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by dedhed; 11-28-22 at 06:15 AM.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 11-28-22, 06:13 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
the center two appear to be common star washers, both internal and external.
https://www.google.com/search?q=inte...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by Schweinhund; 11-28-22 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-28-22, 09:07 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
This type of need is why those who fix up bike a bunch (neighbors, family, friends or flipping) should have a good relationship with a LBS. Not only can they give the usual advise but have much more experience and access to parts suppliers that don't cater directly to the retail public. Tektro makes such a serrated anti spin washer. QBP has over 100 on hand distributed between 3 of their 4 warehouses. If your LBS has an account with them (and if they don't they are fairly uncommon in the bike shop world) ask them to search for part # BR7205. Andy
Old 12-02-22, 02:06 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5755 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
These are readily available

Open your search engine and search for

Campagnolo serrated brake washer.

It should show various sources, and also list other brands of similar parts.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY: