Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Summer Tour of the Willamette Valley - Portland to Eugene, Oregon Aug 5-7

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Summer Tour of the Willamette Valley - Portland to Eugene, Oregon Aug 5-7

Old 08-09-22, 10:45 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
Great pics for what looks to have been a great ride.
As usual…jealous!
Old 08-09-22, 12:07 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
No, not gugie's work. In fact, if I remember correctly, the work was done prior to nlerner's ownership of the International, so it's a mystery as to who did the modifications, including the addition of cantilever brake mounts.
No mystery. The friend I bought it from had Spectrum do the mods.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 08-09-22, 12:12 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
No, not gugie's work. In fact, if I remember correctly, the work was done prior to nlerner's ownership of the International, so it's a mystery as to who did the modifications, including the addition of cantilever brake mounts.
Not I, but I did appreciate the workmanship.
Old 08-09-22, 01:04 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 1,671 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I think @johnnyace already had individual bike pics, but I'll post mine anyway. You can see the diversity of baggage options @gugie mentioned.

@gugie's Ritchey Breakaway

Bob's 1955 Condor

My 1974 Masi Gran Criterium (perhaps not what comes to mind when you think of a touring bike, but it worked)

@SquireBlack's Rivendell Atlantis

Ben's Norther-Lyon

Bill's Lyon

@johnnyace's 1975 Raleigh International (with a few post-market improvements)

@aggiegrads' Page Street
Looks like a blast! Do you have any issues with that masi wagging when loaded on the rear? It's a gorgeous bike btw!
Old 08-09-22, 02:24 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Ben's not a BFer, but he did post a Flickr album. I'll steal some pix and post here.

Hillsboro end of the line, getting ready to start. We picked up Bob and Bill 25 miles later in Dundee. John added to our group in Salem.

Andy fixing the one flat we had on the tour, everyone else is of course telling him he's doing it wrong. I'm preparing to make a slingshot out of the bad tube.

The Crazy Eight found nice shady spot in a park near Coburn, 8 miles outside of Eugene

Last edited by gugie; 08-10-22 at 11:29 AM.
Likes For gugie:
Old 08-09-22, 02:38 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Lovely bunch of fellas!
Old 08-09-22, 03:28 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Thanks for the photos.
Old 08-09-22, 04:07 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Do you have any issues with that masi wagging when loaded on the rear?
I would say no, but I could be wrong. The front wheel wanted to flop a lot when the bike was stopped. I attributed that to the weight on the front. I had about 6 pounds in the front bag and a bit under 9 in the rear. I did have one incident where my foot came unclipped while I was trying to stash a water bottle while accelerating and that very nearly turned ugly, but I managed to keep it upright with just a very embarrassing series of wobbles. I don't think that had much to do with the bag weight -- just my general lack of coordination.
Old 08-09-22, 04:41 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by Andy_K
I would say no, but I could be wrong. The front wheel wanted to flop a lot when the bike was stopped. I attributed that to the weight on the front. I had about 6 pounds in the front bag and a bit under 9 in the rear. I did have one incident where my foot came unclipped while I was trying to stash a water bottle while accelerating and that very nearly turned ugly, but I managed to keep it upright with just a very embarrassing series of wobbles. I don't think that had much to do with the bag weight -- just my general lack of coordination.
That last part is routine for my every ride.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 08-09-22, 05:02 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Don't worry, you can just get bigger panniers up front, and carry them lower with lowriders. ✌️ The only problem then is, you have this little voice in your head, saying "I still have plenty of room, so one more water bottle won't hurt".🙄😁
Old 08-09-22, 05:47 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
The only problem then is, you have this little voice in your head, saying "I still have plenty of room, so one more water bottle won't hurt".🙄😁
The funny thing is, I brought a third water bottle on this ride, but I didn't fill it for any of the riding. I needed more water the first day, even though that was the coolest day, because I neglected to refill my bottles at the lunch stop. The other two days, we got started early enough that I didn't need much water in the morning and a bottle and a half was plenty for the rest of the day.
Old 08-09-22, 11:08 PM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 116 Posts
Than you all for sharing your stories! Looks like a wonderful outing. A three day CC tour does sound like the sweet spot for travelling light.
Likes For tgot:
Old 08-10-22, 08:32 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
No mystery. The friend I bought it from had Spectrum do the mods.
Oh, that's right! You had mentioned that at one point, but I had forgotten.
Old 08-10-22, 09:55 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by tgot
Than you all for sharing your stories! Looks like a wonderful outing. A three day CC tour does sound like the sweet spot for travelling light.
Once you get to 3 days, the kit you bring is the same kit that will work for a week or two. This trip was warm, no rain in the forecast, so I carried 12 lbs including the handlebar and saddle bags. The max weight I've carried on other trips is about 15 lbs. The added weight is typically a rain jacket and pants, a pair of lightweight long pants that can double as tights for cold mornings, a light wool sweater and some wool t-shirts. I use a "3 days before needing laundry" rule, and look for a laundromat on the road. If you don't mind washing and drying your clothing every night, you can get by with less. My calculus is that an extra few pounds of clothing let's me spend more of my time doing fun things (drink beer and tell stories) rather than washing clothes.

Some tips:

Soaking wet socks from a rain storm we had to ride through on one trip were dried out in a hotel microwave. Try a short cycle, check, and increase until your clothes start to just about get steamy. Repeat till dry.

Bikes make great clothes hangers

I select clothing that dries quickly.

If you're going with a group, you can collaborate on tools. I always tell people to be self-supporting for flat repairs, but no need to bring several tubes in a group as they can be community property on a tour. One chain tool, however, will support the entire group, for example.

Half of our group had a GPS unit, more than enough to make sure nobody got lost or made a wrong turn. The route was done in Ridewithgps, so some went old school printed cue sheets.

Last edited by gugie; 08-10-22 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-10-22, 10:37 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 624 Posts
I had sent you a message but maybe you hadn't received. I wanted to be your sag wagon, all gear could have been stored with me, and my minivan could also carry tools, a stand and be there should someone break down. My fee? One cold beer each night.

Check your messages, next time.
Old 08-10-22, 11:20 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Robvolz
I had sent you a message but maybe you hadn't received. I wanted to be your sag wagon, all gear could have been stored with me, and my minivan could also carry tools, a stand and be there should someone break down. My fee? One cold beer each night.

Who did you send it to? Just checked my PM's, nothing from you, and I'm sure we would have gladly given one beer from each of us for your services!

Better yet, join us next time and ride!
Old 08-10-22, 12:59 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz

Originally Posted by gugie
Who did you send it to? Just checked my PM's, nothing from you, and I'm sure we would have gladly given one beer from each of us for your services!

Better yet, join us next time and ride!
I think it got sent to me, was going to respond with a but spaced it out as it didn't make sense.
Old 08-10-22, 01:54 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by merziac
I think it got sent to me, was going to respond with a but spaced it out as it didn't make sense.
Clearly your fault, Van, for not joining up with us on this tour.
Old 08-10-22, 02:00 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Clearly your fault, Van, for not joining up with us on this tour.
Well Duh, but you guys didn't need my boat anchor butt slowing you down that much.

If I was an hour behind on the 40 mile ride, it would have taken me another day to finish this.
Old 08-11-22, 01:44 PM
VRJAKE 

Bikes: Bakers dozen is the limit!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 138 Posts
Great lookin tour gents! The variety of rides confirms Gugie's assertion you don't need a full on touring bike to do a CC Tour! Wow, is this the first event without a major mechanical? Maybe Spaghetti Legs will help out on the next one.

I also hope to join the next one, was too busy experiencing cancelled flights to join this one!
Likes For VRJAKE:
Old 08-11-22, 03:55 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by VRJAKE
Great lookin tour gents! The variety of rides confirms Gugie's assertion you don't need a full on touring bike to do a CC Tour! Wow, is this the first event without a major mechanical? Maybe Spaghetti Legs will help out on the next one.

I also hope to join the next one, was too busy experiencing cancelled flights to join this one!
We do have a history of pedal issues.
Old 08-11-22, 04:07 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

@Andy_K appeased the bicycle gods by bringing an extra set of pedals.
Take note for future tours, or just stop using crappy pedals (cough, @Spaghetti Legs, cough, cough, @nlerner).
Old 08-11-22, 04:19 PM
merziac

@Andy_K appeased the bicycle gods by bringing an extra set of pedals.
Take note for future tours, or just stop using crappy pedals (cough, @Spaghetti Legs, cough, cough, @nlerner).
Life's too short to ride crappy pedals, bikes or anything else at this point.

Especially with the amount of time, energy, effort and $$$$$ we expend otherwise on this foolishness.
Old 08-11-22, 04:19 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by VRJAKE
Wow, is this the first event without a major mechanical?
Truth be told, starting on day 2 I couldn't shift and stay in my big chainring (freakin' brifters!) Luckily the triple I'm sporting on this bike was 40t, combined with an 11t cog I spun out around 23-24mph. With very few hills I just stopped pedalling and yelled out "whoppee!"

I'm reviewing Youtube videos on where to squirt the WD-40, which seems to be the common fix to loosen up old hardened grease on Shimano brifters.
Old 08-11-22, 04:23 PM
merziac

Truth be told, starting on day 2 I couldn't shift and stay in my big chainring (freakin' brifters!) Luckily the triple I'm sporting on this bike was 40t, combined with an 11t cog I spun out around 23-24mph. With very few hills I just stopped pedalling and yelled out "whoppee!"

I'm reviewing Youtube videos on where to squirt the WD-40, which seems to be the common fix to loosen up old hardened grease on Shimano brifters.
I thought tri-flow was the drug of choice for this, maybe its for Campy?

I had spare pedals, RD and a freewheel with me at Eroica, didn't need any of it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.