Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage touch up paint, not even close.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-22, 11:13 AM
1964Supersport

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Supersport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 25 Posts

I tried the new koolest kolers sky blue touch up paint, wasn't even close. Luckily the ebay seller refunded the $26.50 I paid for it. Back to square one, looking for cars about the same color. If I can find one I will just buy a tube of touch up.
Old 08-16-22, 11:22 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Take a fork or a frame to an auto paint supplier.
PPG and others usually have binders with paint samples, most often an oval window in the middle of the sample patch- find what you need. I would look at European makes first.

now an auto paint supplier won't sell a touch up vial but will get you a pint or half pint.
Old 08-16-22, 11:34 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by 1964Supersport
.... If I can find one I will just buy a tube of touch up.
I roll through parking lots and eventually find a good enough match.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 08-16-22, 11:49 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 904 Times in 383 Posts
I've taken a photo of my bike and put it up on my monitor. Then opened another window with automotive paint chips from various sites. I looked for the closest match. It wasn't perfect, but it passed the 5 foot rule.
Old 08-16-22, 12:14 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
I think your desire to touch up the paint on your old Super Sport is going to be a lot more complicated than you think. In one of your earlier threads you brought up the subject and I think I already commented on this. Let's start from the beginning again. The original Super Sport blue was a type of candy color. I believe it was a kind of bakable enamel nobody uses anymore. After spraying the primer, Schwinn painted the frame a fine grain silver. On top of this silver went the somewhat translucent blue. This color combination is hard to recreate again. Silvers vary in grain size and brightness and the more coats of blue applied, the darker it gets. If you skip the silver undercoat the blue is really ugly by itself.

Automotive paint comes in 2 basic types. The 1st kind is a base coat/clear coat system. After the primer and sealer is sprayed, color coats are applied. They go on very thin. They are thinned with reducers that are temperature related. They have no strength by themselves so a catalyzed (an activator hardens the paint like epoxy) clear coat has to be put over the top so the paint will last.

The 2nd type is just like the clear coats over the base coats in the 1st type. In this case an activator goes into the color coats (which may be a metallic or just a solid color) to harden the paint. They also have to be thinned with reducers. This kind of paint is not like house paint.

So choosing your automotive paint color becomes a challenge. Which auto paint type are you going to choose? It isn't likely someone unfamiliar with automotive paints - especially candy paints - is going to get this anywhere close to right except with a lot of experimental trying. These complications to apply real paint is why cyclists use fingernail polish

If i was patching my 1965 Blue Super Sport, I would start with House of Kolor PBC36 Trublue Pearl. This is a color in the base coat paint system that is similar to the Schwinn candy blue color. It costs about $125 a quart. I would put some fine grain silver base down first before applying the blue. If they were small spots I might not put any clear over it because the clear will make it look different than its surroundings. It is fragile in this state but small areas are unlikely to get rubbed.

It is quite possible amateurs have figured out a way I don't know. I do everything a professional way so I haven't thought of how to back engineer possible touch up solutions.

Last edited by Doug Fattic; 08-16-22 at 12:36 PM.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 08-16-22, 01:23 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
For small touch ups try these:

Best, Ben
BTW, nothing will be a perfect match to a 50 year old paint...UNLESS, it's custom mixed by a professional and even then......

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 08-16-22, 01:58 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,781 Posts
After Touchup

Last edited by cb400bill; 08-16-22 at 02:07 PM.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 08-16-22, 02:12 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
For Schwinn Sky Blue I have used Duplicolor Chrysler Intense Blue Pearl. Silver must be applied and dried before applying the blue. As Doug said, it is candy apple paint so go light on the blue until it is just right. It should be available in spray cans as well as touch up brush paint.

I will post the Schwinn cantilever frame I painted with the Duplicolor paint as soon as I can find it. Edit: I found it.

Of course, the color in a picture of a frame taken in the basement with artificial light and uploaded to the internet cannot be a true color, but this will give you some idea of the color.

Last edited by Velo Mule; 08-16-22 at 02:26 PM. Reason: I found a picture
Old 08-16-22, 03:13 PM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts
This site will list commercial paints in order of how close they match an RGB value

https://encycolorpedia.com/b22b2f

Scroll down to the 'similar paints' section.

The "delta E" value is how close the match is:
From https://www.viewsonic.com/library/cr...accuracy/Delta E is measured on a scale from 0 to 100, where 0 is less color difference, and 100 indicates complete distortion. As explained in this guide by Zachary Schuessler, standard perception ranges are as follows:
  • <= 1.0: Not perceptible by the human eye
  • 1-2: Perceptible through close observation
  • 2-10: Perceptible at a glance
  • 11-49: Colors are more similar than the opposite
  • 100: Colors are exactly the opposite
That leaves the issue of how to get an accurate RGB value. Unfortunately that requires a knowledge of colour calibrated photography
which isn't that difficult if it's one of you hobbies. Alternativly take a bicycle part to a colour matching station in a paint shop and get them to measure the colour.
Likes For Aardwolf:
Old 08-16-22, 05:32 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
Here it is in a touch up paint. Be sure to get some Duplicolor silver down first. The exact silver won't matter too much. A brighter, shiny aluminum color should do well. Wait a day (or more) and then put the blue on as light as you can, let it dry and put a second application on if needed. Candy apple paints can be tricky. And these touch up paints are a cocktail of chemicals that don't get along with regular solvents.

Intense Blue Pearl Duplicolor touch up paint.

And it ain't cheap either, if you get both the silver and blue from Duplicolor.

I am surprised by Koolest Kolors. Most reviews say that the colors are "dead on". It is not cheap paint either, but the benefit should be that it is the factory color. Since it is a candy apple paint, it must have silver down below. They sell the silver too. and the application of the color coat must be just right. Too light and it looks light blue and too heavy and it looks dark blue and it doesn't have that candy apple effect.

I got Campus Green from Koolest Kolors to repaint my Schwinn Continental. I was happy with the color, but I wasn't matching it to an existing paint that has been on there for 30 to 40 years.
Likes For Velo Mule: