Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

NBD - Kuwahara Restomod Dropbar

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-16-22, 06:35 PM
Tango1

Bikes: Dawes Super Galaxy, Cannondale Trail 3SL, Gardin TNT, Kuwahara Gravel Resto-Mod

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 68 Posts

I picked up this bike from a family friend, no identification on it aside from the K pantograph in the seat stay. Serial number is no where to be found, I’m thinking the sandblasting/ powder coating filled in the digits. I’m thinking it’s a late 80s early 90s MTB, likely a Pacer from the few photos I’ve found. Either way it’s a fun bike to ride, very big difference from my Gardin 700x23c road bike.

I believe it’s Quad-Butted Ishiwata tubing and the seat post is 26.8 mm. Frame size is 64cm, super comfortable with the Salsa bars and full Tiagra groupset makes shifting the 3x10 pleasant. I’m hoping to race this in the spring after a couple fit adjustments.

it’s nothing special or particularly rare but Kuwahara isn’t common in my area, second one I’ve ever seen.

Old 08-16-22, 07:39 PM
ZudeJammer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Series V 1985, Motobecane Grand Touring 1982, Specialized Stumpjumper 1993, Raleigh International 1972, Raleigh Grand Prix 1972, Kuwahara Count 1983, Trek Cirrus 1987, Shogun 2001 1983, Cannondale SM700 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 96 Posts
nice paint dark metallic silver looks great but those old Kuwahara mountain bikes had the sickest 80s paint
Old 08-16-22, 08:20 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
700c or 26"? I think I might have seen a later model caravan with unicrown forks on cl before. They made those with quad butted tubes. Could be wrong though.
Old 08-16-22, 08:31 PM
Tango1

Bikes: Dawes Super Galaxy, Cannondale Trail 3SL, Gardin TNT, Kuwahara Gravel Resto-Mod

Originally Posted by rgvg
700c or 26"? I think I might have seen a later model caravan with unicrown forks on cl before. They made those with quad butted tubes. Could be wrong though.
700c for this one, actually missed a Caravan last month when I got COVID. I was pretty miffed, it was in pristine original condition with the original spokes still in the spoke holder on the chain stay.
Old 08-16-22, 08:33 PM
Tango1

Originally Posted by ZudeJammer
nice paint dark metallic silver looks great but those old Kuwahara mountain bikes had the sickest 80s paint
I agree, some amazing paint. I want to order a set of decals - at this point I’m not too worried about historical accuracy and just getting the Kuwahara head badge with the Japanese flag would look unreal on this frame.