Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

How Do YOU Transport Your 'Bent Trike By Car?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-22, 09:11 AM
newbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

I recently bought a Catrike Villager recumbent trike. While it does (barely) fit inside my Rav 4, it's a bit of a pain. It involves removing some difficult to reach pins to fold down the seat plus removing my bag from the back rack. So, I'm considering purchasing a trike carrier. (My Rav4 already has a hitch.)

Here's the one that I currently have in mind. Does anyone have any thoughts about it or experiences it with it? (Positive or negative). If not, what do YOU use to transport your recumbent trike by car?

Thanks!
Bert
Old 04-08-22, 07:59 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I would have to add a hitch to my Scion XB in order to use a rack like the one you linked to. Instead I did some minor modifications to an old Rhode Gear bike rack to carry my Catrike 700 well above the pavement (see note later in post). Added two crosspieces made from Schedule 40 3/4" irrigation pipe held in place by old bike tubes. That makes a place for the rear wheel on the trike to fit.

The reason I like having the trike way off the ground is an experience with a friend's hitch rack. We were carrying three bikes on it and for some reason it slipped back and down as the release that allows you to lower the rack let go. Who knows why but the bike at the back of the three (mine!) rubbed against the ground. Luckily we discovered it before it did some substantial damage. BTW I have a frugal streak unlike my friend who was a medical doctor with lots of cash so the idea of spending $425 on a bike rack would make me think twice for another solution. My old Rhode Gear rack cost me 10 bucks and has carried a variety of recumbents from short to long wheelbase recumbents as well.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 04-08-22, 09:13 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I can fit any of my 3 bents inside my car with the rear seats down.I have to take the rear wheel off, then feed it in through the trunk. I also have a Saris roof rack with a single tray, and it'll (barely) take a lowracer - the rear wheel goes all the way to the end of the tray. I'd get another tray but that particular model is no longer available; they're all fork mounts these days.
Old 04-08-22, 11:46 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I can fit any of my 3 bents inside my car with the rear seats down.I have to take the rear wheel off, then feed it in through the trunk. I also have a Saris roof rack with a single tray, and it'll (barely) take a lowracer - the rear wheel goes all the way to the end of the tray. I'd get another tray but that particular model is no longer available; they're all fork mounts these days.
Trikes are much tougher. They could go in my truck or I would have to take off all wheels.
Old 04-08-22, 01:01 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
This is what I've seen:

Likes For cat0020:
Old 04-14-22, 01:05 AM
J Palmer Cass

Bikes: ICE Adventure, TSDZ2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I bought a Ford Explorer and just throw the trike, an ICE Adventure, right in the thing. It also held my Catrike Trail (which I no longer own) at the same time, no sweat.

Old 04-14-22, 08:50 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The secret here is to have a crew cab pick up like I do. It has seating for 5, and of course the pick up box for bikes and trikes. It is the do all machine. If you have two vehicles, one should be a pickup. Why have two cars that have limited usefulness.