Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Changing cassette and how long of a chain

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-22, 11:31 PM
Hackman61

Bikes: Matte black 2017 Specialized Sirrus, 2019 Salsa Journeyman, 2013 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Hey folks. I am changing out a 12-26 cassette on my Cannondale Synapse. Triple ring (50/39/30). Im going with an 11-32t cassette for that added punch getting up hills. I'm wondering how many extra links my chain should be when I put on the new one. 9 speed KMC is what I'm using. Any helpful ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-09-22, 11:39 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 874 Posts
On paper, you need 1-1/2" more.
Use this method on BIG:BIG to see how much extra you currently have.
You want 1-2" "slack".

Old 06-10-22, 03:34 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Hackman61
Hey folks. I am changing out a 12-26 cassette on my Cannondale Synapse. Triple ring (50/39/30). Im going with an 11-32t cassette for that added punch getting up hills. I'm wondering how many extra links my chain should be when I put on the new one. 9 speed KMC is what I'm using. Any helpful ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Which rear derailleur is / do you plan to install on your Synapse? Is there a rear derailleur that could handle that a max chain wrap (i.e., not max rear cog size) of 42T?
Old 06-10-22, 10:32 PM
Hackman61

Bikes: Matte black 2017 Specialized Sirrus, 2019 Salsa Journeyman, 2013 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Which rear derailleur is / do you plan to install on your Synapse? Is there a rear derailleur that could handle that a max chain wrap (i.e., not max rear cog size) of 42T?
Current RD is a Shimano sora. I think its a GS (Midsize). No markings so its really tough to tell. How can I know for sure? If its an SS will it handle the 11-32t? I've been researching like crazy but never seem to find a definitive answer. Its a 2013 Synapse Sora 7. I would also like to replace the shift cables but can't find much info on the shifters either and how the rear shift cable sits inside the shifter. The housing comes out the side, not under the bar tape.

Last edited by Hackman61; 06-10-22 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-10-22, 11:00 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
With a triple, you probably have the medium cage, which seems to handle up to a 43 chainwrap and a max cog of 34. If you want to be sure, the number should be on the underside of the parallelogram and is often hard to see while on the bike..
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...-R3000-GS.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...eur-model.html
Old 06-11-22, 02:39 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
On paper, you need 1-1/2" more. Use this method on BIG:BIG to see how much extra you currently have. You want 1-2" "slack".
Yup. If your chain is on the tight side now, add 4 links (2 complete pairs of links for 2 inches). Otherwise add 2 links (one pair of links for 1 inch). For many years, Campy recommended the small-small method of chain sizing: just remove any slack when the chain is on the small chain ring and small cassette cog. This works fine as long as you are not exceeding the wrap capacity of the rear derailleur. If you are doing that, then use the big-big method and accept that the chain will hang slack when on the small chain ring and the smallest few cogs on the cassette.