Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

First night time ride of the year

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-22, 10:00 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 182 Posts

It's been very hot here the past couple weeks. Cooled off tonight so I took my first night time ride of the year.
It was a beautiful quiet cool night. I rode a 10 mile farm country loop that I usually ride from my house. Didn't
pass 1 car. Encountered 7 whitetail deer 1 racoon and 1 possum.
Likes For robertj298:
Old 06-27-22, 12:37 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Nothing quite like a nighttime ride, for real. Never know what you'll see!

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 06-27-22, 08:57 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
My eyes are getting WAY too bad for night riding, but I'm with you on the wildlife watching. The bike trails along the American River, here in Sacramento, is great for it. 👍 I can't keep track of all the deer, and I'm still amazed at how close they'll come, if they don't feel threatened by you. 🙂 I've also seen a few coyote & rattlesnakes, to keep me on my toes, lol, plus a skunk who seems to want to make friends. 🙄😉

There's a sign warning folks about mountain lions, but I'm not in any hurry to see another. I saw one a few years back, in Oregon, and got a good healthy respect for them. 😲😉
Old 06-27-22, 03:48 PM
flipchip
Chipper

Bikes: Commencal Stewart, Lemond Buenos Airies

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Very nice. For some reason riding at night feels more “normal” than riding during the day. I’m not sure why. Easier to relax and just enjoy I guess?
Old 06-27-22, 04:11 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
I used to ride a lot at night. I always liked it. Usually little to no real wind. Less traffic. I have cut down on it quite a bit now. But I live on the South Shore of Long Island were the population density and and the cars on the road density, even at night is quite high. I thought about riding through Hempstead Lake State Park at night but, it is the humans that are the threat at night there. So, when I ride at night I stick to the roads.

The lights are so much better than the WonderLite that I used to use. I can actually see something with my lights now.

I used to ride home from the club races at Hanscome Airforce base at night with my racing bike without a light or any reflectors. I would never do that again.