Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

My geek thread

Old 10-23-10, 11:23 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,959 Times in 1,571 Posts
Just rolled thru the first "practice run" for my seminar on Monday.... 62 min which is perfect, because i'm sure in my nervousness on Monday I will speed things up and omit sections to fit it into the 45-50min window for an A.

Also I didn't look down at my notes once, which is sweet. Time to unwind on BF for 20 or 30 and go give it another run.
Old 10-23-10, 11:31 AM
Urthwhyte

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Just rolled thru the first "practice run" for my seminar on Monday.... 62 min which is perfect, because i'm sure in my nervousness on Monday I will speed things up and omit sections to fit it into the 45-50min window for an A.

Also I didn't look down at my notes once, which is sweet. Time to unwind on BF for 20 or 30 and go give it another run.
What's the seminar on?
Old 10-23-10, 11:37 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

It's my senior project/capstone course:

Title:
Conjugated organometallic polymers: A description of the synthesis and photophysical properties of organic semiconductors featuring a new cyclometalated platinum moiety.

Abstract:
The general properties and photovoltaic parameters of organic semiconductors are introduced after a brief comparison with traditional inorganic (silicon) solar cells. A new class of cyclometalated platinum polymers is introduced in which the primary chromophore is the Pt-Polymer coordination bond. Synthesis, device fabrication and compound characterization are described for two specific Pt-polymers with power conversion efficiencies approaching 1.3%.

Primary article:
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/cm9029038
Old 10-23-10, 12:37 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts

Title:
Conjugated organometallic polymers: A description of the synthesis and photophysical properties of organic semiconductors featuring a new cyclometalated platinum moiety.

Abstract:
The general properties and photovoltaic parameters of organic semiconductors are introduced after a brief comparison with traditional inorganic (silicon) solar cells. A new class of cyclometalated platinum polymers is introduced in which the primary chromophore is the Pt-Polymer coordination bond. Synthesis, device fabrication and compound characterization are described for two specific Pt-polymers with power conversion efficiencies approaching 1.3%.

Primary article:
Reserve me a spot
Old 10-23-10, 01:02 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Just finished round 2 of practice.... 55 min with no hesitation and deliberatly quick speaking.

Looks like I'll fit right into that 45-50 min indo when I add the game-day jitters into the equation.
Old 10-23-10, 01:23 PM
carpediemracing 

Good luck. I had to slow down and read word by word when you described what you'll be talking about.

I feel... monosyllabic.

cdr
Old 10-23-10, 01:36 PM
rog
militant buddhist

Bikes: '08 Scott CR-1 Pro, '02 Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Title:

Abstract:

Primary article:
I'm going to go dig a ditch, now.
Old 10-23-10, 01:42 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
All I can tell is he's making an organic solar material... and I'm an Electrical Engineer...
Old 10-23-10, 01:44 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts

Title:

Abstract:

Primary article:
Fuel cell applications?
Old 10-23-10, 01:46 PM
Urthwhyte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Good luck. I had to slow down and read word by word when you described what you'll be talking about.

I feel... monosyllabic.

cdr
I didn't even get that far...

I did manage to refactor a giant chunk of code on the flight from Nice, however. Some cron magic and DB tweaking and one table shouldn't be getting slammed with requests quite so often
Old 10-23-10, 02:19 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Urthwhyte
I didn't even get that far...

I did manage to refactor a giant chunk of code on the flight from Nice, however. Some cron magic and DB tweaking and one table shouldn't be getting slammed with requests quite so often
Phew. I recognize "cron". I was talking with the Missus about my old life (Linux/Unix build/support) and couldn't really remember much of what I did (ended about 3 years ago). I may have to build a machine for myself so I don't get too rusty. Ubunto laptop (I want to do that anyway on an old one), Redhat "server" (on my current "backup" machine).
Old 10-23-10, 09:06 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by carpediemracing

I feel... monosyllabic.

cdr
This is how I feel when a lot of you guys start talking in computer programming lingo.

To Clarify this (by dept. requirement) is a presentation on someone else's research. It went down at the end of last year at UC Berkeley.

Last edited by TMonk; 10-23-10 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-23-10, 09:12 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by mollusk
Fuel cell applications?
Probably not, because this is a solid state material with no charged species in solution.

Once the polymers are synthesized, there is no chemistry involved in the generation of photocurrent. There is no reaction taking place to generate electrons; it's just excitation of one species: the "plastic" semiconductor.
Old 10-23-10, 09:30 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
For polymer photocells to save the world we need to get away from Pt and other pricey crap. Need a Fe or Mg compound cheap enough to print; but this stuff is a good start.

Last edited by Enthalpic; 10-23-10 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-23-10, 09:37 PM
Flatballer
No matches

the conversion efficiency is also still quite low. Needs a lot of work there before it can compete with the likes of thin-film. Thin-film is already pretty cheap, getting cheaper all the time, has high efficiency, and can be made in all sorts of configurations, some of them very flexible and unique.
Old 10-23-10, 09:59 PM
Braden1550

Bikes: I hate bikes.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GPS apps on my htc desire and turning a hardcase into a hard-mount for my bike.
Old 10-23-10, 11:35 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
For polymer photocells to save the world we need to get away from Pt and other pricey crap. Need a Fe or Mg compound cheap enough to print; but this stuff is a good start.
This is the kind of novel thinking that will really make this kind of technology ("Platinum" solar cells) a truly viable technology. Even with the Pt atom though, these solar cells are much cheaper to manufacture than traditional inog solar cells (Si, CdTe, CuGaInSe2, etc...), however the power conversion efficiencies are low (0.1-7% compared to 14-19% for Si...)

Also these polymers aren't printed, they are spin coated, which in my opinion offers little to no control and wide variability with the morphology of the active layer of the cells, which is the primary determinant in the battle for charge transport vs. relaxation.

EDIT: Ideally I will be able to contribute to this in a couple years from now when I am conducting my graduate research; literally 8-9/10 chemistry/materials graduate schools I have checked out have some sort of photovoltaic research going on. Only time will tell.
Old 10-23-10, 11:39 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by Flatballer
the conversion efficiency is also still quite low. Needs a lot of work there before it can compete with the likes of thin-film. Thin-film is already pretty cheap, getting cheaper all the time, has high efficiency, and can be made in all sorts of configurations, some of them very flexible and unique.
These (plastic "organic") semiconductors are present in cells as thin films, are flexible and translucent. However you correctly noted that the big problem with these cells is their low efficeincy (relative to inorganic cells).
Old 10-24-10, 10:29 AM
slynkie
negligent.

Bikes: a few

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hand-editing SNMP MIB files. corporate rules prevent me from using any of the nice free tools that make this so much easier.
Old 10-24-10, 07:49 PM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by slynkie
hand-editing SNMP MIB files. corporate rules prevent me from using any of the nice free tools that make this so much easier.
Corporate rules against free tools? You work for Mickeysoft?
Old 10-24-10, 07:56 PM
slynkie
negligent.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scummer
Corporate rules against free tools? You work for Mickeysoft?
nope. I'd imagine any U.S. corporation big enough to get sued has similar guidelines. Even those heavily involved in FOSS.
Old 10-24-10, 07:58 PM
Flatballer
No matches

been playing Fallout: New Vegas. Great game, but gives me headaches just like Fallout 3 did. I can't figure out what it is. It feels like motion sickness.

I've played lots of FPS games, lots of first person RPGs, 3rd person RPGs, all sorts of stuff, and never had this problem except in Fallout games. Any idea what could be causing this? I really like the game, but it's not worth getting headaches over.

I think it has to do with the refresh rate, so everything seems jittery when looking around quickly (which happens a lot in this game, lots of time spent looking around for stuff to scavenge).
Old 10-25-10, 12:08 AM
Urthwhyte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nope. I'd imagine any U.S. corporation big enough to get sued has similar guidelines. Even those heavily involved in FOSS.
Actually, Microsoft's rules are incredibly liberal relative to its size.
Old 10-25-10, 06:44 AM
slynkie
negligent.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Urthwhyte
Actually, Microsoft's rules are incredibly liberal relative to its size.
Ok maybe I should clarify...my company has pretty decent rules around this. If you bother going through the process, you can get most tools approved for use if they're sane. What my company is looking out for, is stupid licenses that could allow the tool's copyright owner to claim some right or force some action with regard to the content it produces. e.g. a text editor that says it owns any files you create. That would be an extreme case...less extreme is the "viral" GPL quality.

I'm sure Microsoft is careful about GPL licensed software, no?
Old 10-25-10, 07:52 AM
Urthwhyte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok maybe I should clarify...my company has pretty decent rules around this. If you bother going through the process, you can get most tools approved for use if they're sane. What my company is looking out for, is stupid licenses that could allow the tool's copyright owner to claim some right or force some action with regard to the content it produces. e.g. a text editor that says it owns any files you create. That would be an extreme case...less extreme is the "viral" GPL quality.
That's understandable and increasingly common these days

I'm sure Microsoft is careful about GPL licensed software, no?
I don't work for them personally and can't comment extensively, but I do know engineers there that opt to use vim over VS (although I imagine that's had plenty of time to be approved, seeing as it's been around since before I was born)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.