Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's your disc brake pad mileage?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What's your disc brake pad mileage?

Old 08-11-22, 09:53 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Those are the facts. I can even post pics of all of those bikes I purchased in that time frame.
Let me rephrase this in a way that you can (hopefully) comprehend: your personal experiences are not necessarily universal.

Originally Posted by eduskator
He must have been that cool kid with all kind of extraordinary stories in elementary school.
I'll bet he had a lot of stories from band camp.
Old 08-11-22, 10:07 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Let me rephrase this in a way that you can (hopefully) comprehend: your personal experiences are not necessarily universal.
And neither are your personal experiences. Like I said this bike shortage and parts shortage were a bit over-hyped and still are being over-hyped right now. Were there some parts that were hard to come by and bikes that you couldn't buy complete? Yes...Yes there was. But it wasn't at the level that "the sky is falling" like some people made it out to be.

I'll bet he had a lot of stories from band camp.
This one time at band camp...

Well except I wasn't in band...so there is that.
Old 08-11-22, 10:32 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
And neither are your personal experiences. Like I said this bike shortage and parts shortage were a bit over-hyped and still are being over-hyped right now. Were there some parts that were hard to come by and bikes that you couldn't buy complete? Yes...Yes there was. But it wasn't at the level that "the sky is falling" like some people made it out to be.
So we should put more faith in your experiences, rather than our own and that of QBP, the 800 lb gorilla of distribution in NA?

Okay.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-11-22, 10:52 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by WhyFi
So we should put more faith in your experiences, rather than our own and that of QBP, the 800 lb gorilla of distribution in NA?

Okay.
You can do what you want.

My experience mimics that of others within my biking circle of friends that live within a 100 mile radius of where I do. People were able to get parts and buy new complete new bikes. One of my friends even had his bike stolen in Indiana at the motel while on the way Bentonville last year. He went to the local bike shop and walked out with a new Giant Trance mountain bike.

I have the feeling that some of this was regional and dependent on what brand of bikes you were looking for. My local Trek and Specialized dealers didn't seem to have any problems keeping bikes stocked on the floor the past 2 years.
Old 08-11-22, 11:10 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
I have the feeling that some of this was regional and dependent on what brand of bikes you were looking for. My local Trek and Specialized dealers didn't seem to have any problems keeping bikes stocked on the floor the past 2 years.
This is the only reasonable assertion you've made in this thread. Otherwise, you have been engaging in fallacious logic -- specifically, asserting that your experiences are universal or typical, even though there is copious evidence to suggest that your experience was exceptional. (Exceptional in the sense of atypical.)

Link to actual evidence, which is the word we use for facts and stuff.
Old 08-11-22, 11:54 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
You can do what you want.
Cool, so I'll continue to believe that the well-documented, industry-wide supply challenges of the last couple of years were real and that any attempt to brush off those supply problems, based upon the experiences of an individual in Nowhere, WI, is farcical.

Glad we got that straight.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-11-22, 02:49 PM
prj71

LOL. You guys need bikes or bike parts I'll hook you up!!!
Old 08-11-22, 05:24 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
This is the only reasonable assertion you've made in this thread. Otherwise, you have been engaging in fallacious logic -- specifically, asserting that your experiences are universal or typical, even though there is copious evidence to suggest that your experience was exceptional. (Exceptional in the sense of atypical.)

Link to actual evidence, which is the word we use for facts and stuff.
You can't win an argument with that specific type of individual. The more attention you give, the worst it becomes

7000kms on my brake pads and they're close to new. Who needs brakes anyways?
Likes For eduskator:
Old 08-13-22, 02:46 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Well this thread really took a turn, LOL. One thing that has/had contributed to many shortages were companies that adopted a "JIT - Just in Time" warehousing/stock approach, meaning they only stocked what they could sell. They were not warehousing locally. As long as everything was working as expected things were fine. When the crankarm hit the fan all those companies stock was depleted without any option to replenish (at least in a timely manner)