DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Diablo Challenge 2022

I'll be the backpack hauler again this year.
I'll have my cowbell and other noisemakers on The Wall - come say HI.
And MY defined segments are the gold standard for Strava purposes.

https://www.strava.com/segments/7967598

Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 09-29-22, 04:03 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
Nice!
Yesterday my brother and were talking about climbs in the east bay when we were kids. Mt Diablo, Lawrence Hall of Science, Miner Rd in Orinda...50 years ago.
Old 10-02-22, 04:21 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

https://mountdiablochallenge.itsyour...amin=0&amax=98

700 riders and the winner is
Quinn Felton 20 year old male from Belmont, CA
Chip Time 00:45:09.4
Average Pace 4:01/mile

I'll just note that he looks like a climber.
4:01 per mile... I can't even do that on the easy parts.

There were a lot of eBikes this year - I don't know how they categorized them. But the FIRST two people up The Wall were on eBikes and they had registration numbers but weren't even going very fast so I suspect they bypassed the official start somehow.

Quinn was still 4 minutes slower than the Strava KOM Amgen 2014 stage winner Rohan Dennis.
https://www.strava.com/segments/16142858

It was perfect weather and there were some big time gaps in the leaders.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 10-02-22, 05:04 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott

700 riders and the winner is
Quinn Felton 20 year old male from Belmont, CA
Chip Time 00:45:09.4

Average Pace 4:01/mile

I'll just note that he looks like a climber.
4:01 per mile... I can't even do that on the easy parts.

There were a lot of eBikes this year - I don't know how they categorized them. But the FIRST two people up The Wall were on eBikes and they had registration numbers but weren't even going very fast so I suspect they bypassed the official start somehow.

Quinn was still 4 minutes slower than the Strava KOM Amgen 2014 stage winner Rohan Dennis.

Holy Toledo! That's just the tiniest hair under 15mph!! As John Madden used to say: I couldn't do that when I could do that.
Old 10-03-22, 04:06 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott

It's crazy because Rohan Dennis is a strong rider, but he's not a climber in the pro peloton. And it was at the end of a very long stage, probably 100+ miles and several thousand feet of climbing previous to Diablo. If a truly elite pro climber participated in this event, without being at the end of a long stage race, I'm sure they would easily be under 40 minutes. Under 40 min to the NG JUNCTION is a respectable time, and this segment is from the school, so it's SG + a few minutes of rollers before the start. It's truly remarkable how fast the pros are.
Old 10-03-22, 04:34 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by cthenn
It's crazy because Rohan Dennis is a strong rider, but he's not a climber in the pro peloton. And it was at the end of a very long stage, probably 100+ miles and several thousand feet of climbing previous to Diablo. If a truly elite pro climber participated in this event, without being at the end of a long stage race, I'm sure they would easily be under 40 minutes. Under 40 min to the NG JUNCTION is a respectable time, and this segment is from the school, so it's SG + a few minutes of rollers before the start. It's truly remarkable how fast the pros are.
Starting in San Jose, it was a big group with Wiggo in yellow pulling the whole Mountain, and it was practically a pack sprint up the Summit Wall.

It was also FREAKING hot that day... and I was there! I think my sub-40 Junction times are behind me now though.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 10-03-22 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-04-22, 11:12 PM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 66 Posts
Did the Diablo Challenge this year and as my first ever supported ride of any sort, I had a bunch of fun. If you saw a guy wandering around with a yellow and blue SPAM jersey, that was me. The Spam jersey garnered quite a few comments from people, someone even wanted a picture of the Spam burger on the back.

Managed to make it to the North Gate junction in roughly a half an hour and got to the bottom of the Wall in 59 minutes but didn't make it up to the top until a couple minutes later, so just outside of an hour. Next year I'll get it though!

My brother put in an impressive ride too. 1 hour 6 minutes in an 80's steel Specialized Allez with Suntour Superbe 2x7 drivetrain. I think he was the first down tube shifter bike to the finish, not like there was much competition there though.

As for the weather, I agree that it couldn't have been better. It was great fun getting a view of the sea of fog coming up and over the cloud layer.
Likes For Pantah: