Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Another PY-10FC Thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Another PY-10FC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-22, 06:20 PM
Andy Antipas 

Bikes: too many old steel bikes

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 176 Posts
Another PY-10FC Thread

Happy Autumn everybody. I have been in a French mood the last couple of months. After many years of neglect, I started riding my circa 1986 PX-10 and Vitus Carbone-7 and have been enjoying both of them, which got me surfing eBay, which was a mistake. Unfortunately, while surfing eBay, I came upon a Peugeot PY-10FC frameset missing most of its decals but for the "Fibre de Carbon" decal on the left side of the top tube. I also noticed the additional 1cm collars Peugeot added to the frame to accommodate the larger diameter carbon tubes they used when compared to the Vitus marketed version of the frame. Of course it was my size and I bought it. All kidding aside, this was a bike I lusted after when I was racing back during the last ice age in the 1980s, and i have been looking for one on and off for 30+ years.

The frame arrived at my door and was in excellent shape and appears not to have a lot of miles on it. I pulled the last few Spidel components out of my stash, and shuffled some components between the PX-10 and the Carbone-9. I was able to keep all three bikes French builds, but was aiming to build the PY-10FC as close as I practically could to the Peugeot Team bikes. I had to buy a Stronglight A9 headset and 25mm Simplex seat post, and bing-bang-boom here it is. I have some other parts I will eventually install like Weinmann brake lever hoods, but it is "fini" for now.

We are expecting our first major winter storm starting Saturday night in Western Colorado, and so after work this afternoon I got changed and squeezed in a 20 mile ride to shake the bike down. I need more time on it, but overall it is nice. I'm lucky to have a lot of nice bikes and I have learned there are many ways to build a nice bike out of steel, aluminum, titanium, or plastic! The tubular wheels are Fiamme Ergal rims with Kenda branded Veloflex 25mm tubular tires. Stronglight and Simplex Super LJ drivetrain; Weinmann Carrera brakes, Cinelli 1R stem and Giro Handlebars, Simplex seat post with Turbo SLG saddle. Weight as shown is 18.5 pounds. I need to give a shout-out to Chombi1 serving as my consultant over the course of the last couple of weeks. It was helpful to get his feedback as the bike came together. @Chombi and I also have some overlap in our collection between Peugeot, Vitus, and Gitane bicycles.... Great minds as they say! Ok time for some pics.

Old 10-21-22, 06:59 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts

chacun à son goût
I remember when $1800 was about 30% more than Super Record Italian steel.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 10-22-22, 06:12 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
What a beauty! White leather hoods would look magnifique* on those brake levers!

*DISCLAIMER: They'd be a real PITA to keep clean.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 10-22-22, 09:27 PM
Andy Antipas 

Peugeot Grimpeurs

Robert Miller and Ronan Pensec and their PY-10FC

Likes For Andy Antipas:
Old 10-23-22, 05:52 AM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 196 Posts
Nice work. It looks like it is in great condition. Re that photo of Pensec…I think that is the last year for the Peugeot team as they became Z/Peugeot the next year….It’s a great photo showing the Stronglight Delta headset, the Adidas death pedals, and I *think” the next generation of Maillard 700 hubs. When I look at a bike like that, it just emphasizes how boring the bikes of modern professional racing are…
Likes For El Chaba:
Old 10-23-22, 07:19 AM
Andy Antipas 

Pensec Photo

What is also interesting about the Pensec photo is the first generation Dia-Compe aero brake levers. I have also seen a photo of Sean Yates on a PY-10FC and he is using the same levers. Also, in the Robert Miller photo, it looks like he is using Mafac LS2 brakes with Weinmann brake levers? Racing bike archaeology.....
Old 10-23-22, 08:51 AM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Antipas
What is also interesting about the Pensec photo is the first generation Dia-Compe aero brake levers. I have also seen a photo of Sean Yates on a PY-10FC and he is using the same levers. Also, in the Robert Miller photo, it looks like he is using Mafac LS2 brakes with Weinmann brake levers? Racing bike archaeology.....

Yes, the lever situation then was a funny one. That was right at the time when Mafac was going under. They introduced the LSX brake set with a set of very nice levers to go with it. Photos of those levers on team bikes are very rare. Pretty soon, all of the bikes seemed to have either older Mafac (drilled) levers or the Weinmann Carrera levers. I don’t know if it was because of crash damage ( pro bikes go through brake levers almost like tires or chains) or if the shape was preferred by the riders. The Weinmann Carrera shape is very close to Campagnolo ( the hoods are perfectly interchangeable). As Mafac disappeared, there must have been an informal agreement with Weinmann, and then Weinmann was brought in as the brake supplier. Starting in 1985, the “ Dia Compe” levers started to appear on the team bikes to take advantage of the new trend of aero cable routing. There had been a long association between Weinmann and Dia Compe with Dia Compe licensing designs from Weinmann. The same was true for the Weinmann Carrera 400 which Dia Compe made as the Gran Compe( with some slightly different hardware). You see those aero levers being used in photos of the LaRedoute team riders at that time period as well.
Old 10-23-22, 10:00 AM
Andy Antipas 

Brake Levers

Originally Posted by El Chaba
Yes, the lever situation then was a funny one. That was right at the time when Mafac was going under. They introduced the LSX brake set with a set of very nice levers to go with it. Photos of those levers on team bikes are very rare. Pretty soon, all of the bikes seemed to have either older Mafac (drilled) levers or the Weinmann Carrera levers. I don’t know if it was because of crash damage ( pro bikes go through brake levers almost like tires or chains) or if the shape was preferred by the riders. The Weinmann Carrera shape is very close to Campagnolo ( the hoods are perfectly interchangeable). As Mafac disappeared, there must have been an informal agreement with Weinmann, and then Weinmann was brought in as the brake supplier. Starting in 1985, the “ Dia Compe” levers started to appear on the team bikes to take advantage of the new trend of aero cable routing. There had been a long association between Weinmann and Dia Compe with Dia Compe licensing designs from Weinmann. The same was true for the Weinmann Carrera 400 which Dia Compe made as the Gran Compe( with some slightly different hardware). You see those aero levers being used in photos of the LaRedoute team riders at that time period as well.
Interesting how the French component industry went through its fits and starts. I have a pair of those Mafac brake levers along with LS2 calipers on my c1986 PX-10. They are nice. The hoods I'm currently using on them are Shimano, and they are a B- fit. I think conventional square shaped Mafac hoods would fit perfectly. I have a pair I think will work, and will change them when it is time for new bar tape. On the Weinmann Carrera levers on the PY-10FC I have generic Campy replacement hoods. I recently picked up a pair of Weinmann gum rubber hoods that (again) I will change out when it is time for new bar tape. I would say the generic campy hoods are a B+ fit. Both the Mafac and Weinmann levers are comfortable for me, and I would say the braking performance between the two brands is comparable. There are a lot variables when it comes to brake performance between type of rim, brake pad material, cables, and the amount of mechanical advantage the lever has. I have several bikes with the first generation of Dia-Compe levers and I believe they have better mechanical advantage vs. the conventional non-aero originals of the time.

Mafac levers and LS2 calipers

Weinmann Carrera levers and calipers
Likes For Andy Antipas:
Old 10-23-22, 10:11 AM
Rkopec

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Great work Andy. Looks beautiful. Its interesting how the "seat tube" lion faces forward on the 1987 models (mine is a PSN), however, in 1986 and 85, it faces backwards on the drive side. I wonder why they made that change?
Old 10-23-22, 11:34 AM
Andy Antipas 

Peugeot Lions

Originally Posted by Rkopec
Great work Andy. Looks beautiful. Its interesting how the "seat tube" lion faces forward on the 1987 models (mine is a PSN), however, in 1986 and 85, it faces backwards on the drive side. I wonder why they made that change?
I have been wondering about that too. I have seen photos with the lions facing backwards and forwards on the web, but I haven't been able to connect a year to that. You may well be right. The Lion on the head tube faces to the left, but I don't know if that had any bearing when they installed the decals?

Part of me wonders if it was frames were finished before or after lunch? Or, maybe Jock did it one way and Pierre another?

Thank you for the kind words.
Old 10-23-22, 02:30 PM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
I have been wondering about that too. I have seen photos with the lions facing backwards and forwards on the web, but I haven't been able to connect a year to that. You may well be right. The Lion on the head tube faces to the left, but I don't know if that had any bearing when they installed the decals?

Part of me wonders if it was frames were finished before or after lunch? Or, maybe Jock did it one way and Pierre another?

Thank you for the kind words.
Nice machines !!!

FWIW Both my 84 PX10 have the lion facing backwards

Likes For 1simplexnut:
Old 10-23-22, 05:45 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts

The lion on mine faces forward on both sides.....
As far as I could tell the decals are all original.
I built up mine with mostly Stronglight Delta components including hubs, but not the seatpost (Simplex SLJ) and brakeset (Weinmann Carrera 400).
Great work Andy! Tell us how it rides!

Last edited by Chombi1; 10-23-22 at 05:51 PM.
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 10-23-22, 06:40 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 217 Posts
Are you supposed to cut these out yourself?
Likes For Soody:
Old 10-23-22, 06:47 PM
Andy Antipas 

PY-10FC ride

Originally Posted by Chombi1
I built up mine with mostly Stronglight Delta components including hubs, but not the seatpost (Simplex SLJ) and brakeset (Weinmann Carrera 400).
Thanks Chombi - So far, I only have 20 miles on it. The weather worked against me this weekend. Hopefully, I will put some more miles on it next weekend, but Friday's shakedown ride was positive. I'm looking forward to comparing it to the Vitus Carbone-7 and the PX-10.
Old 10-23-22, 07:23 PM
Andy Antipas 

Stronglight 107 chainring

Originally Posted by Soody
LOL - I guess one could cut it out! On Stronglight 107 chainrings, I believe it is just a styling feature!
Old 10-23-22, 09:01 PM
Chombi1 

Originally Posted by Soody
Stronglight did not cut those open for the "aero" effect......
If you might have noticed too that the edges on the rings are all rounded off, unlike the rings on the 106 that are square in profile
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 10-23-22, 10:46 PM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts

My PY10FC has the lions facing back . Same as my Px10s
The decal is one piece so would need to be cut to change orientation of the lions.
Presume it is original but I guess anything could have happened since the 80s .

All good fun !

Likes For 1simplexnut:
Old 10-23-22, 10:57 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
...I'm lucky to have a lot of nice bikes ...
Ok, from what I've seen of your collection, that's a bit of an understatement
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Likes For Lascauxcaveman:
Old 10-24-22, 06:19 PM
Andy Antipas 

For more on PY-10FC

Here is a link to an informative blog or those interested in learning more about PY-10FC: https://on-the-drops.blogspot.com/20...eugeot-py.html

Old 10-24-22, 07:10 PM
Chombi1 

Andy, How many speed FW did you install in your PY10FC?
Just wondering if you tried to put in a 7 speed FW. I did, and the smallest 13 cog did not fit under the drive side seatstay, because of the way the seat stays curved inwards from the seat lug.

Last edited by Chombi1; 10-25-22 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-24-22, 07:55 PM
Andy Antipas 

Seven Speed

Andy, How many speed FW did you install in your PY10FC?
Just wondering if you tried to put in a 7 speed FW. I did, andithe smallest 13 cog did not fit under the drive side seatstay, because of the way the seat stays curved inwards from the seat lug.
Hey Chombi, I haven't tried a 7 speed FW on the FC. I have a nice Sachs 7 speed I can try. I remember you mentioning there isn't the clearance. The wheels I'm using have Maillard 700 hubs, and I'm not sure they are spaced appropriately for 7 speed freewheels. Most of my classic bikes use 6 speed freewheels, but I have a set of campy record hubs on my Colnago Mexico that is spaced appropriately for 7 speed and I will see if it fits.
Old 10-25-22, 09:40 AM
Chombi1 

Hey Chombi, I haven't tried a 7 speed FW on the FC. I have a nice Sachs 7 speed I can try. I remember you mentioning there isn't the clearance. The wheels I'm using have Maillard 700 hubs, and I'm not sure they are spaced appropriately for 7 speed freewheels. Most of my classic bikes use 6 speed freewheels, but I have a set of campy record hubs on my Colnago Mexico that is spaced appropriately for 7 speed and I will see if it fits.
I think it was a Sachs/Maillard 7 speed freewheel that I tried to install on my bike and it did not fit.
Almost all my C&V bikes hVe 126mm OLD spacing and so far it was only the PV10FC where it did not fit.
The PY10FCs did come standard with 6 speed FWs, but I suspect the factory team might have opted for 7 speeds, somehow.
Old 10-25-22, 10:22 AM
Andy Antipas 

I think it was a Sachs/Maillard 7 speed freewheel that I tried to install on my bike and it did not fit.
Almost all my C&V bikes hVe 126mm OLD spacing and so far it was only the PV10FC where it did not fit.
The PY10FCs did come standard with 6 speed FWs, but I suspect the factory team might have opted for 7 speeds, somehow.
Most of my bikes have Campy record hubs, and it is my understanding that there is a spacer on the non-drive side that needs to be installed on the drive side if one wants to use 7 speed freewheels? Moving the spacer on built wheels would require relishing the wheel, and I’m usually to lazy to do that especially on used wheels. I don’t know what other hub manufacturers did, and though I have repacked numerous maillard hubs, I haven’t measured the spacing on the drive side and compared it to Campy hubs. After writing all of that, the design of the rear dropout maybe the limiting factor, but I would think guys like Sean Kelly would want that extra cog when riding their Vitus 979s? More research!
Old 10-25-22, 06:29 PM
Andy Antipas 

6 speed vs 7 speed on PY-10FC

Chombi, I took the rear wheel off my '84 Colnago Mexico with an IRD 7-speed freewheel, and there was no interference with the dropout. I was able to shift through all 7 gears when installed on the PY-10FC frame. I took photos with the 7-speed and 6-speed wheels in place. I think there is enough room on the Maillard 700 hub for me to try a 7 speed. Stay tuned!

6-speed shimano freewheel. I think there is enough room to try a 7-speed FW on the Maillard hub?

7-speed IRD freewheel
Likes For Andy Antipas:
Old 10-26-22, 06:15 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
FWIIW, and my two cents, a Maillard hub must run a Sachs-Maillard or Sachs-Aris 7-speed freewheel--- just for the sake of purity!

I know a guy who can set you up with one.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.