Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What Keeps You From Riding More?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-22, 10:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Not mentioned yet is that old October-November bugaboo, at least for many of us here.... The annual cleanup of leaves. Despite living on a narrow urban lot, I get about eleven billion leaves each season and I'll be picking them up until December. It's harder work than bike riding and it sure is time consuming!
You’ve been duped by Big Lawn Tool.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...l/10461351002/
Old 10-26-22, 10:21 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Was all set to increase my biking miles after sorting out all the issues with my bike. I love my bike. I just screwed myself for the increases in riding and will even decrease my riding for a while. I just bought a 42' cruising trawler and the present bike is not that compatible with the boat. Ugh. The apple cart is temporarily overturned.
Old 10-26-22, 10:25 AM
phedge

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 260 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Years ago I heard someone make the following observation.
There are three things that fluctuate throughout our lives: Time, Money, and Health.
My mother used to say something similar. 'In order to gain wisdom, we're forced to lose time and health.'
Seemed like a cruel equation back then, and even more so now.
Old 10-26-22, 10:48 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Having lived on a lot with many mature trees, and which was surrounded on two sides by dense forest, I can confirm that this does not always work. When you can scoop the leaves with a snow shovel, the lawnmower ain't getting through.
Same here. Mulching starts early so you're not trying to do it all at once.
Old 10-26-22, 10:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I don't find enough dumpster vodka while cycling.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-26-22, 11:12 AM
cal45

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disc low step, 1999 Trek 800 Sport

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, was setting aside Sunday as my riding day while I was working, being recently retired and living here in FL - I now have no excuses to getting out more.
Old 10-26-22, 11:17 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by phedge
My mother used to say something similar. 'In order to gain wisdom, we're forced to lose time and health.'
I've also heard "Good judgement comes from life experience, and life experience comes from poor judgement."
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 10-26-22, 11:42 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
............................Also got my nuts snipped this month, haven't been on a bike since.
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
good thing you still have your sense of humor..........................................
You need to 'man up.' I was back in the saddle just a couple days after the snip-snip..............................................
Not sure what procedure the *snipped or snip-snip* exactly refers to, if it's a vasectomy - I had that done 44 years ago and it was a non-event OR if it is a bilateral orchiectomy (surgical castration) I had that 7.5 years ago and again a non-event and even lost a quick 10 pounds BUTT the ORCHIE permanently removed 95% of testosterone production so that cuts down strength and endurance dramatically affecting riding. The reason for the ORCHIE is Prostate Cancer of the GLEASON 10 Score so I deal with a more likely death sentence compared to all other Gleason Scores. More recently was the 2nd hit by a wild hog in 2.5 years adding to the other health issues along with the THE ENDLESS WORK LOAD CLEANING UP AFTER HERRICANE IAN causing strain on my leg that the wild hog T-boned into.

Did manage to get out at 2:44AM this morning for a VERY SLOW 28.81 miles where a few years ago it would have been more like 50+ miles. Just a bunch of crap-ola piling up until I -----

Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 10-26-22, 12:01 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6939 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
if it is a bilateral orchiectomy (surgical castration) I had that 7.5 years ago and again a non-event and even lost a quick 10 pounds
Your balls weighed ten pounds?

I salute you, good sir.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-26-22, 12:08 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Here's an issue that has not been mentioned, though indyfabz and I have alluded to it: plenty of posters have noted that their jobs keep them from riding as much as they want to...And this is on a forum with plenty of members who also regularly discuss their newest uber-expensive bikes. I'm guessing that some people with such machines might also be into swanky autos, boats, etc -- in fact, sometimes, when people post pics of their bikes, you can see their sports cars in the background. There is a push-pull between buying the gear (which requires working) and finding the time to actually use it. I am sometimes amazed to read posts from people who've been riding a short time and have already bought more bikes than I've purchased in twenty years of fairly serious riding. I could've bought more bikes, and more expensive bikes, but living a relatively modest material lifestyle has helped me to drop to <1/2 time work at 54 and full retirement at 59. I'm now happier than I've been in decades -- even riding on my twenty-year old LeMond with 9 speed components.

Granted, along with those choices, I had some other advantages -- most notably, a much younger wife who is a good earner and carries me (at no cost to us) on her work health insurance. But lifestyle choices have played a role.

Life is about tradeoffs, and I'd rather have less cool stuff and more time to enjoy the stuff I do have before I'm too old.
I agree with this whole heartedly!
Old 10-26-22, 12:16 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe

Restraining orders.
Hey ​​​​tomato coupe , good to see you around these parts!
Old 10-26-22, 12:46 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
for me it is often the weather
Lately health, sinus infection is exhausting.
then there are the bike projects,
and home maintenance.
Since I am now 100% telework. It gets highest priority but does not interfere with riding opportunities. My organization expects me to exercise 3.5 hours a week on the clock.
the worst is motivation. I hate the traffic around here even with a Garmin Varia. No shoulders on many of the rural roads.
Old 10-26-22, 03:47 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Your balls weighed ten pounds?

I salute you, good sir.
Side note on report by the Pathologist was -- *I can categorically confirm that 10 pounds of balls can indeed fit in a 5 pound sack.*
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 10-26-22, 05:01 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
What keeps you off the bike more than you want and are there any changes you can make to get more seat time?
I went the other way, shifting my intended workout plan to involve more walking, running and strength training and less riding each week. I enjoy it all, so really I’m pretty satisfied with how it’s working.

Otto
Old 10-26-22, 07:18 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 440 Posts
I try and ride about 3 days a week, but I'm limited to a 1-2 hour window and the rest of my day is spent working at home and being a parent with lots of activities including sports, dance, tutoring, etc. Though I also do about 3 days of strength training at the gym covering the basic powerlifts and body workouts, so that's about 6 days of fitness for me. Living in SoCal allows me to ride year-round and there's always group rides practically on a daily basis if I look, though I mostly ride solo. My only limitation though are doing all-day group rides (usually 3-6 hours).
Old 10-26-22, 08:09 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6939 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Side note on report by the Pathologist was -- *I can categorically confirm that 10 pounds of balls can indeed fit in a 5 pound sack.*
I love that you have a sense of humor about it. That is a key factor in dealing with aging and health issues.
Old 10-26-22, 08:58 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
I went the other way, shifting my intended workout plan to involve more walking, running and strength training and less riding each week. I enjoy it all, so really I’m pretty satisfied with how it’s working.

Otto
Good on you! I was a dedicated runner until I injured my back and developed a neuroma on one foot. I liked the ability to get in a good workout in a short amount of time, relative to cycling. I still do weights, pushups, planks and other core exercises and stretches. Also enjoy hiking in the mountains but need to get my foot operated on and healed first. Then there’s X-co and alpine skiing in the winter…..

Old 10-31-22, 10:35 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Wet, cold, and too much dark this time of year which gives me less time out on the bike. That's life in the upper left corner of the US.
Old 11-01-22, 08:52 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Fear of cold. I actually overestimate the cold often. Fear.of heat is valid, however.

This is also why I'm looking into ebikes.
Old 11-01-22, 09:40 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
For me it's always been "how much can I take?" That's less now that it was, even last year. I try to walk the knife edge between enough and too much. I can ride as much as I want because I'm never bored riding. I have a set of resistance rollers out in the shop, which can be heated in winter. I can do anything on them that's good for winter training. I don't ride outside more than once a week in winter because it's usually raining and I hate spending time cleaning a bike which I could instead be riding on my rollers. I don't have any trouble getting in 8-12 hours/week between riding, gym, and other cross-training, and that's plenty. I got the same hours in back when I was working full time. No kids!

I do other things which I have to do to be able to ride as much as I can, namely hiking and strength training. Just riding never worked for me. It's too limited w/r to range of motion and muscles involved. Over time stuff you don't use on the bike gets weaker and stiffer and sooner or later you get injured, and then you're off the bike and doing rehab for who knows how long. Trying to figure out how to balance that has been a focus of mine. Plus I like the feeling of "I can do anything I want." Well, I don't rock climb anymore. That's gone and it's not coming back, but then I'm done with that anyway, so no loss. I can hike, backpack, snowshoe, XC ski, Alpine ski, walk, run, gym, and that's all I really ever wanted to do. Biking is still the main event because it's so much fun, it's generally a low body stress thing, and one can't ski in the summer. I keep the non-biking activities down to a level where they add to, rather than subtract from, my ability to ride. So far, everything still works, though I'm probably looking at getting a pacemaker this winter..
Old 11-01-22, 10:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
For me it's always been "how much can I take?" That's less now that it was, even last year. I try to walk the knife edge between enough and too much. I can ride as much as I want because I'm never bored riding. I have a set of resistance rollers out in the shop, which can be heated in winter. I can do anything on them that's good for winter training. I don't ride outside more than once a week in winter because it's usually raining and I hate spending time cleaning a bike which I could instead be riding on my rollers. I don't have any trouble getting in 8-12 hours/week between riding, gym, and other cross-training, and that's plenty. I got the same hours in back when I was working full time. No kids!

I do other things which I have to do to be able to ride as much as I can, namely hiking and strength training. Just riding never worked for me. It's too limited w/r to range of motion and muscles involved. Over time stuff you don't use on the bike gets weaker and stiffer and sooner or later you get injured, and then you're off the bike and doing rehab for who knows how long. Trying to figure out how to balance that has been a focus of mine. Plus I like the feeling of "I can do anything I want." Well, I don't rock climb anymore. That's gone and it's not coming back, but then I'm done with that anyway, so no loss. I can hike, backpack, snowshoe, XC ski, Alpine ski, walk, run, gym, and that's all I really ever wanted to do. Biking is still the main event because it's so much fun, it's generally a low body stress thing, and one can't ski in the summer. I keep the non-biking activities down to a level where they add to, rather than subtract from, my ability to ride. So far, everything still works, though I'm probably looking at getting a pacemaker this winter..
We share all the same outdoor activities except rock climbing - which is something I always wanted to learn but had so many other outdoor pursuits I didn’t want to risk becoming more mediocre by splitting my time further. So Instead of rock climbing, I scuba dived. I was always into what I called, leg sports.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-01-22, 11:12 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Other than injury, nothing stops me. I live in the southern US, so I ride every single day that I want to.
Old 11-02-22, 04:02 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Here's an issue that has not been mentioned, though indyfabz and I have alluded to it: plenty of posters have noted that their jobs keep them from riding as much as they want to...And this is on a forum with plenty of members who also regularly discuss their newest uber-expensive bikes. I'm guessing that some people with such machines might also be into swanky autos, boats, etc -- in fact, sometimes, when people post pics of their bikes, you can see their sports cars in the background. There is a push-pull between buying the gear (which requires working) and finding the time to actually use it. I am sometimes amazed to read posts from people who've been riding a short time and have already bought more bikes than I've purchased in twenty years of fairly serious riding. I could've bought more bikes, and more expensive bikes, but living a relatively modest material lifestyle has helped me to drop to <1/2 time work at 54 and full retirement at 59. I'm now happier than I've been in decades -- even riding on my twenty-year old LeMond with 9 speed components.

Granted, along with those choices, I had some other advantages -- most notably, a much younger wife who is a good earner and carries me (at no cost to us) on her work health insurance. But lifestyle choices have played a role.

Life is about tradeoffs, and I'd rather have less cool stuff and more time to enjoy the stuff I do have before I'm too old.
While this is an interesting point, I'm not convinced there is much of a correlation between working hours and wealth. Some of the poorest people often work the longest hours and vice-versa. But I agree with your sentiment about putting quality time before work whenever possible.
For me family commitments have always been far more limiting than any amount of work. I haven't even had time to hold down a job in the last decade!
Old 11-02-22, 05:15 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
So, all dogs should have had the foresight to marry and mouch off of a young, beautiful, high earning wife?

I do think some people are into gear for reasons I do not understand. It is like a collecting fetish with nothing to do with their job or hours worked. Their bikes seem rarely ridden and a little scratch sends them to back to therapy. Even when I traveled extensively, I found time and ways to train. It only takes 4-6 hours per week to have a pretty high level of fitness. There are plenty who race successfully on such short hours.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 11-02-22, 06:10 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
So, all dogs should have had the foresight to marry and mouch off of a young, beautiful, high earning wife?

I do think some people are into gear for reasons I do not understand. It is like a collecting fetish with nothing to do with their job or hours worked. Their bikes seem rarely ridden and a little scratch sends them to back to therapy. Even when I traveled extensively, I found time and ways to train. It only takes 4-6 hours per week to have a pretty high level of fitness. There are plenty who race successfully on such short hours.
I must admit I find bike gear interesting enough to view it beyond a simple means to an end. Probably why I'm an engineer. I'm not really a "collector" though. I just enjoy following the tech, which normally leads me to a new bike every 5 years or so as the game incrementally moves on. I rarely look back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.