Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Bike twisting in trainer

Old 11-04-22, 06:30 AM
Tango1

Bikes: Dawes Super Galaxy, Cannondale Trail 3SL, Gardin TNT, Kuwahara Gravel Resto-Mod

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 68 Posts
Bike twisting in trainer

I'm trying to keep the cardio going for the winter (riding outside at -20 sucks) so decided to use a dumb trainer. This looked good but after 5-10mins of riding my bike will twist to the side and is not longer upright. It's leaving about 10-15* to the side.

I've tried rotating the skewer etc. I have tightened it to the point I'll need a pipe wrench to go any further.

Wondering if this is just a problem when you're 250lbs and maybe I should look at getting some rollers for myself?

Any help?
Old 11-04-22, 11:40 AM
Tango1

Bikes: Dawes Super Galaxy, Cannondale Trail 3SL, Gardin TNT, Kuwahara Gravel Resto-Mod

Actually never mind, I realized I have all the tools necessary to reinforce the bolt. Some Douglas fir strapping, 5/8 forstner bit, and a saw works wonders.

Likes For Tango1:
Old 11-12-22, 10:57 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I'm 270 and I don't have any trouble with my bike doing that in my trainer. I wonder if it has something to do with the design of the trainer?
Old 11-14-22, 08:10 AM
Tango1

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I'm 270 and I don't have any trouble with my bike doing that in my trainer. I wonder if it has something to do with the design of the trainer?
It's definitely a trainer issue, I'm saving some pennies for rollers, hopefully it will help make riding indoor more interesting and also solve any weight issue. I'm 245 this morning so still up there however these trainers should be able to handle the weight.
Old 11-14-22, 11:30 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 161 Times in 80 Posts
Sometimes you get what you pay for. I have been as high as 290 pounds. My Kinetic Road machine 2 has held up just fine. It does have wear on the drive cylinder after several years of use. I just upgraded to a Zwift HUB smart trainer. Rollers will improve your cadence and smoothness if you can stay on them. I'm not convinced they will do much to improve your fitness, real hard to do structured workouts on them. Not impossible, just more difficult. If they work for you , great. If they don't longterm they still have value and can be useful.