Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Univega Land Rover 12 26"

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-22, 03:25 AM
recordingwicket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Found a Univega Land Rover 12 26" bike on OfferUp for $100. Is it any good? I don't really plan on doing anything other than riding on sidewalks and beaches, but I don't want something that'll break on me.

Link

Last edited by recordingwicket; 11-23-22 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-23-22, 08:29 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
There is no way to tell if the bike on OfferUp is any good without pictures and more information. The basic bike is decent but we know nothing about the one you are interested in. Condition and fit are unknown.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 11-23-22, 09:07 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by recordingwicket
Found a Univega Land Rover 12 26" bike on OfferUp for $100. Is it any good? I don't really plan on doing anything other than riding on sidewalks and beaches, but I don't want something that'll break on me.
If it is in good mechanical condition and fits you, then yes it is a good deal. It would be difficult to find a bike in good mechanical condition(ready to ride and properly adjusted) for less. And you wont find a new bike for less.
Riding on sidewalks and beach paths is easily accomplished on most any bike so its all about the mechanical condition.

If you need to take it to a shop to get new tires, chain, and cables then $100 is no longer a good deal.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-23-22, 10:45 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
It is a low end bike, nothing worth a lot. If it is in excellent condition (and not the seller telling you this but actually inspecting it or having a qualified mechanic inspect it) then maybe that price is worth it assuming as well it fits. I would post the link to the bike and all you need is ten posts which is easy because you joined the forum so you have a good interest in bikes otherwise why join a forum just to use it as google when you don't need to login in to search google. Get those posts up and post the link. I have a feeling it probably won't tell anyone much and you will have to go look at it but it is worth throwing it up so we can take a quick look at least.
Old 11-23-22, 04:18 PM
recordingwicket

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think I can post links now, so here it is. I tried searching on google can couldn't find much other than people saying there are better models and such.
Old 11-23-22, 04:19 PM
recordingwicket

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Makes sense. Would it make more sense to buy a newer bike then? I don't really know any bike mechanics or anything so I wouldn't understand if the chains need to get changed or how bad tires look.
Old 11-23-22, 07:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Makes sense. Would it make more sense to buy a newer bike then? I don't really know any bike mechanics or anything so I wouldn't understand if the chains need to get changed or how bad tires look.
It doesn't look in terrible shape from just the pictures and it is true it is tough to find a new bike at that price but I would look and see what else is out there or see if you can get the price down.
Old 11-27-22, 02:58 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Hi. In my opinion that's a good deal. It looks clean, which is unusual, and appears to be in decent shape. For what you want to do, it should suit. You'll likely put some money into it (new saddle, new pedals), but as I always say, you'll end up with a better bike than you can get new for the price, especially as the seller has dropped the price to $80. If it fits you, and you like it, get it.

Alternatively, if you tell us your city and what size bike you ride, there are folks on here who would be happy to help you find one. I'm looking at CL bikes in Costa Mesa right now.

EDIT: Here's what I found; I kept price and size in mind, and I swear I wasn't shopping just for myself, although that yellow Diamond Back makes me feel funny in my tummy. Good thing (for me) it's too tall (for me).

Fuji Thrill Yes it's a step through; they're great for carrying groceries and kids without risk of kicking either.
Fuji Sand Blaster A bit steep, pricewise, just so you can see what else is out there.
That yellow Diamond Back Ascent.
Diamond Back Ascent EX with that lovely smoke fade paint job.
Nishiki Pueblo Yep, another step through.

Last edited by Korina; 11-27-22 at 04:53 PM.