Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Success! Neos Derailleur Replacement with Adapter

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-22, 09:28 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts

I'm not the greatest bicycle mechanic, but I managed to replace the broken Neos compact rapid rise derailleur on my 7-Speed Dahon Boardwalk with a conventional Shimano unit. I had fitted a wider spread of rear gears and the Neos couldn't handle it...especially the small 11-tooth cog.

First I ordered a Litepro derailleur hanger/adapter from Ali Express, just $13. I had originally ordered a similar part for $30 from Tern thinking it would be better quality since they stamp their name on it, but they cancelled the order a few days later due to insufficient stock.

Next I installed the adapter and drove the bike to the co-op so one of the mechanics could see the gears and help me pick out a capable derailleur which ended up being a used Shimano 8515 for $5. I also picked up a new shifter cable and longer cable housing and a new chain All in all about $36.

I screwed on the new derailleur and connected the new cable and sheath. Then I installed the new chain and sized it which was a first for me. I had replaced chains many times, but was always able to use the old chain to match for size. The Park Tools Youtube video series is very helpful. I referred to it again to adjust the derailleur settings, which I had done before a couple of times on this and other bikes.

And son-of-a-gun it works!

I have a 7-speed indexed Shimano thumb-shifter that I use on the right side of the bull-bars i Installed, except now it shifts in the opposite direction. With the original rapid-riser style Neos derailleur 1st gear was with the lever pointing towards me, with 7th pointing forward. Now first is forward and seventh points back towards me. I mis-shifted quite a few times on the first ride yesterday, but I'm sure my brain will adjust. I have 5 bikes with four different shifter types (brifters, downtube, bar-end and thumbies) and I seem to keep them straight for the most part. (I also used to have rapid-fire on my MTB before converting it to drop bars).

Total cost for the project was just under $50.

Here's some pics, including my combination bicycle work station/out-door grill.

Happy riding/grilling!

Likes For BobbyG:
Old 02-16-24, 02:15 PM
kayakkielbasa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi BobbyG, You replied in my thread describing a 7speed Bickerton rear freewheel/cassette upgrade.
You never mentioned (If I'm not mistaken) if it was freewheel or cassette in Your case. 11-38 sounds more like a cassette..
Old 02-16-24, 07:47 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
7 speed is freewheel, not cassette...

Last edited by tds101; 02-17-24 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-17-24, 01:16 AM
kayakkielbasa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
& speed is freewheel, not cassette...
not so obvious as You might think.
Read this thread. https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...l#post23156348
Old 02-17-24, 03:58 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
If you're still confused about it, ask in the CycleChat forums...
Old 02-17-24, 04:15 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 309 Posts
OP: I did the same two years ago in order to fit a double crank. I didn't know I could find a derailleur hanger, but I just used a Shimano Tourney TX 6/7 speed derailleur with integral claw-mount that goes under the axle nut, mid (GS) cage length, works great, $13 new. Vast improvement in shifting, and bonus of the gripshift now working in the correct direction. Just labeled wrong now, no problem. 11-30 cassette, I left a little more chainlength than I needed to, in case I upgrade to 11-34:

Last edited by Duragrouch; 02-17-24 at 04:26 AM.
Old 02-17-24, 08:37 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by kayakkielbasa
hi BobbyG, You replied in my thread describing a 7speed Bickerton rear freewheel/cassette upgrade.
You never mentioned (If I'm not mistaken) if it was freewheel or cassette in Your case. 11-38 sounds more like a cassette..
The rear wheel on my Boardwalk is not the original wheel. The original wheel used a gear cassette. The replacement wheel uses a freewheel and that's what I bought. Sorry for any confusion.