Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The quest for the perfect bike saddle...................again.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-22, 02:30 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts

Well it's been a good run, but lately I've had some issues with pain in my right sit bone. My favorite saddle for the past 6 years has been the Selle Anatomica X. This saddle was love at first sit and has been great until this year when I have often had this sit bone problem. This saddle has all but eliminated perineal numbness which no other saddle has managed to do. My previous favorite saddle was the Serfas Rx which was better than any others I previously tried.

The site bone issue happens regardless of which bike shorts I wear - older or newer.

I visited my LBS asking about saddles. They had a sit bone measurement device which determined my sit bones are about 125mm apart. They suggest I come in and have them observe me pedal on my own bike on their trainer.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-03-22, 02:35 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Could it be that your saddle has broken down enough that it doesn't work like it did a couple of years ago? Maybe try a new one of the same model? If they don't make it still, try EBay. I've found several of my favorite (no longer made) there.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 12-03-22, 02:38 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Well it's been a good run, but lately I've had some issues with pain in my right sit bone. My favorite saddle for the past 6 years has been the Selle Anatomica X. This saddle was love at first sit and has been great until this year when I have often had this sit bone problem. This saddle has all but eliminated perineal numbness which no other saddle has managed to do. My previous favorite saddle was the Serfas Rx which was better than any others I previously tried.

The site bone issue happens regardless of which bike shorts I wear - older or newer.

I visited my LBS asking about saddles. They had a sit bone measurement device which determined my sit bones are about 125mm apart. They suggest I come in and have them observe me pedal on my own bike on their trainer.

Any thoughts?
Specialized Mirror. Best saddle in over 45 years of cycling.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 12-03-22, 05:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
I would visit a fitter and see what they say. My butt has generally like the Brooks Cambium saddles but that is my butt and everyone is different. Ergon also makes some nice saddles my rear end seems to like but Ergon is in their name but I shouldn't say that because there are saddles that use vaguely medical terms and are terrible idea to ride on.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-03-22, 10:09 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
I visited my LBS asking about saddles. They had a sit bone measurement device which determined my sit bones are about 125mm apart.
I believe my sitbones are about the same, and I find a saddle width of about 143mm or 145mm (depending on mfr) to fit well -- which is in line with standard sizing recommendations.

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Specialized Mirror. Best saddle in over 45 years of cycling.
This. I've got Spec saddles on a couple of my bikes, and have been on them for at least 15 years. Find one that looks good to you (Romin might be a good place to start, or the new Mirror models) and try it out. They have a 30-day warranty that applies even if an item has been used, so it will be risk-free.

If you really like the leather saddles, you might try a Brooks -- maybe the B17 Narrow Imperial, which has a perineal cutout. I rode one for a while and was pleased with it. (The standard-width B17 is likely too wide for you.)
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-03-22, 11:46 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 343 Posts
My experience has been; last year's perfect saddle does not fit quite as well this year, and in a couple more years, I'll be shopping for a new one
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 12-04-22, 12:02 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
I have three of these: Road bike, wet weather bike and trainer and absolutely love them. Got them after sampling about six other seats. I too have perineal issues as well and they are pretty, pretty good.
SLR Boost - light weight with just the right amount of padding so that an hour and a half on a trainer actually isn’t too bad.

Last edited by rsbob; 12-04-22 at 12:09 AM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-04-22, 02:30 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
If you're over 50, like so many of us here, maybe consider dropping the saddle height a cm or so. At 71, I've had to drop the saddle height on all my bikes twice now. Losing height/leg length happens eventually.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 12-04-22, 05:27 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
Pain on one side means you're crooked. You're sitting sideways and you should address that issue, and don't let some "professional bike fitter" talk you into shimming your cleats. You'll probably need to lower your saddle somewhat and relearn a symmetrical posture and pedaling pattern. It's difficult and can take some time but in the long run it's a much better idea than band-aids. Once you've corrected the issue you can ride almost any saddle with no pain.
Likes For Thulsadoom:
Old 12-04-22, 06:19 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 934 Times in 486 Posts
Have you had any physical trauma to the area of your acetabulum? I slipped on the pedal, attempting to clip in, at a green light once, and came down hard on my top-tube, in that area. Ever since then, I have a knot of muscular tension that is compensating for the muscles disabled by nerve damage. A hard foam roller, ten to fifteen minutes before each ride, has been very effective in softening and normalizing this hard, over-stimulated area at the femur head. You might want to get in there and explore with a hard foam roller to locate areas of abnormal or isolated tension. Since the Serfax RX doesn't take care of it, you might have to start with the body, itself.

Last edited by 1989Pre; 12-04-22 at 10:23 AM.
Likes For 1989Pre:
Old 12-04-22, 08:20 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
You are seeking the unobtainable. The only thing close to excellent comfort will be found on a recumbent bike or trike.

If you are in the snow belt that first 25 mile ride in the spring leaves you butt hurting so bad, you cant ride for a week. Been there and done that. On my bent or trike, you can ride again the next day with no pain at all.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 12-04-22, 08:31 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
SMP saddles with their full length cutout work for me. I got lucky and found the correct width Stratos model on the first try. I'm 69 and haven't seen any need to drop my saddle height, but I have two replacement knees that won't shrink.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 12-04-22 at 08:35 AM.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 12-04-22, 08:34 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
You are seeking the unobtainable. The only thing close to excellent comfort will be found on a recumbent bike or trike.
Old 12-04-22, 08:39 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I have three of these: Road bike, wet weather bike and trainer and absolutely love them. Got them after sampling about six other seats. I too have perineal issues as well and they are pretty, pretty good.
SLR Boost - light weight with just the right amount of padding so that an hour and a half on a trainer actually isn’t too bad.
+1 I have the same but in the very minimally padded 'gravel' version, and it's been great.
Old 12-04-22, 08:54 AM
IcySwan1 

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
I, too, used that Selle Anatomica saddle. As I increased my performance levels it became less comfortable, even when adjusting it per the instructions. I suspect it was a combination of loosing weight and increasingly aggressive positioning. And, like rsbob, I found the Selle Italia SLR Boost saddles work well for me. I have the endurance model and am very happy. Good luck on your search.

Mike
Old 12-04-22, 09:24 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
Pain on one side means you're crooked. You're sitting sideways and you should address that issue, and don't let some "professional bike fitter" talk you into shimming your cleats. You'll probably need to lower your saddle somewhat and relearn a symmetrical posture and pedaling pattern. It's difficult and can take some time but in the long run it's a much better idea than band-aids. Once you've corrected the issue you can ride almost any saddle with no pain.
Hmmm. I don't have uneven leg lengths, but I do have a scoliosis. Had some back issues earlier this year. Went to chiropractor and things improved quite a bit at first. She gave me some stretching exercises (hamstring and Psoas stretches) to do at home which I have done daily ever since. I was delighted at first that this right sit bone pain went away for awhile. I few weeks later, it mysteriously came back and has been there ever since. Not sure what to make of this. The pain seems to radiate down the right hamstring.

I'm wondering if maybe I need to have my fit re-evaluated. I have dialed in my current fit over the years through trial and error and it has worked for quite some time............until now.

Last edited by Lombard; 12-04-22 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-04-22, 09:33 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Not trying to troll, but no one can suggest a saddle for another person. It's like running shoes, you go through a process to find something that works and you stick with that.

Also, I've never really understood being super picky about saddles. Maybe I'm strange, but ~90% of saddles seem to work just fine for me. Some are better than others (current favorite: Pro Stealth Performance), but most anything is fine. IMO, most complaints about saddles are actually complaints about bike fit.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 12-04-22, 09:57 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Not trying to troll, but no one can suggest a saddle for another person. It's like running shoes, you go through a process to find something that works and you stick with that.

Also, I've never really understood being super picky about saddles. Maybe I'm strange, but ~90% of saddles seem to work just fine for me. Some are better than others (current favorite: Pro Stealth Performance), but most anything is fine. IMO, most complaints about saddles are actually complaints about bike fit.
I'm beginning to think this myself. Sure, my fit may have worked for many years, but the body changes with age. I'm now thinking that changing saddles would be the "shotgun approach" similar to a car mechanic throwing parts at the car without diagnosis.

Last edited by Lombard; 12-04-22 at 10:06 AM.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-04-22, 10:04 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts

If you are in the snow belt that first 25 mile ride in the spring leaves you butt hurting so bad, you cant ride for a week. Been there and done that. On my bent or trike, you can ride again the next day with no pain at all.
Proselytizing really should go in P & R.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 12-04-22, 10:17 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
You are seeking the unobtainable. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah .
Yawn.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-04-22, 10:45 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

The pain I speak of is not the same as the typical non-use sit bone pain that comes after not riding for awhile. That goes away after about a week of reguar riding. This is different. It often radiates down my hamstring.

With my spinal issues, I have a feeling a bent will be in my future somewhere...........but not yet. Maybe in 20 years.
Old 12-04-22, 10:51 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
With my spinal issues, I have a feeling a bent will be in my future somewhere...........but not yet. Maybe in 20 years.
The nice young men in their clean white coats will let you know when it's time to switch to a recumbent.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-04-22, 11:08 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11

Good for you that you evidently don’t have perineal issues like the OP stated was criteria in finding a new seat. Since that’s the case, you don’t have to be picky. But if and when you get there, you will understand. It’s not about the bike (fit).

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-04-22, 11:14 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The nice young men in their clean white coats will let you know when it's time to switch to a recumbent.
Ha! By the time the nice young men in their clean white coats come for me, I doubt I'll be riding at all.
Old 12-04-22, 11:15 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by rsbob
Good for you that you evidently don’t have perineal issues like the OP stated was criteria in finding a new seat. Since that’s the case, you don’t have to be picky. But if and when you get there, you will understand. It’s not about the bike (fit).
To be clear, I would much rather have sit bone pain than perineal numbness which cannot go ignored.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.