Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'65 Sting-Ray

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

'65 Sting-Ray

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-19, 04:33 PM
Furyus

Bikes: 1968 Schwinn Slik Chik, 1983 Miyata 310, 2022 Sunday Model C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
'65 Sting-Ray

I see in the description of this sub-forum that muscle bikes are included, so I'll include mine. Mostly I just wanted to try out posting a pic on this forum so I can document a vintage lightweight. Hope iron oxide doesn't offend.

furyus
Old 02-04-19, 06:21 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Drape a baseball mitt over the bar, just high enough to clear the front tire, and there I go.
Couldn't afford a Schwinn, though. Mine was a West Point from True Value Hardware.
Shared it with two brothers.
Old 02-04-19, 06:25 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,540 Posts
my brothers and sisters had sting rays.....welll the Coast to Coast and sears versions..... like robbietunes couldn't afford a schwinn. I was a bit jealous, until I figured out how much faster my 26' in bike was.

the posted bile looks like it was well used...as it should have been

Old 02-04-19, 06:47 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 513 Posts
Mine was a Huffy from Kmart. Normally, I only got big presents for Christmas or my birthday, so I was a little confused when my parents bought me a shiny new bike in the spring when I was about 7 years old. In my neighborhood, there weren't many Schwinns, especially the Krate models. They would draw a crowd whenever a kid was lucky enough to get one.
Old 02-04-19, 06:49 PM
Furyus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Drape a baseball mitt over the bar, just high enough to clear the front tire, and there I go.
Couldn't afford a Schwinn, though. Mine was a West Point from True Value Hardware.
Shared it with two brothers.
Gosh I forgot about hanging a glove off the bars. Great memory (now that the brain cell holding it lit up - been dormant awhile). I was a lucky kid.

Some kid named Shawn Woods owned this bike. Engraved his name on it in three different places.
Old 02-04-19, 06:51 PM
Furyus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
my brothers and sisters had sting rays.....welll the Coast to Coast and sears versions..... like robbietunes couldn't afford a schwinn. I was a bit jealous, until I figured out how much faster my 26' in bike was.

Some of those Sears muscle bikes are nice, and are starting to fetch big money. Sadly, the demise of Sears is contributing to that I’ll bet.
Old 02-04-19, 06:54 PM
Furyus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
Mine was a Huffy from Kmart. Normally, I only got big presents for Christmas or my birthday, so I was a little confused when my parents bought me a shiny new bike in the spring when I was about 7 years old. In my neighborhood, there weren't many Schwinns, especially the Krate models. They would draw a crowd whenever a kid was lucky enough to get one.
I was one of those lucky kids. Got a brand new ‘70 Cotton Picker coaster bike when I was eight off the showroom floor. Picked it out myself, but I can’t remember why I chose it over all the others (big store). I think it was the white paint.
Old 02-04-19, 07:45 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
I had a Schwinn like that model rear slick and all , It was brand new I got it for Christmas . That Christmas it was raining , I didn't care I rode that thing .
Old 02-04-19, 09:17 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
I like the look of this bike. Brings back memories because this is what a kid bike looked like after it was handed down through a bunch of brothers and a cousin or two. Childhood history written all over this one. Very nice.
Old 02-04-19, 09:37 PM
MrK.

Bikes: 2011 Handsome/ Twin Six Speedy Devil, 2006 Soma Groove, 1991 Haro Impulse Comp, 1987 KHS Montana Pro, 1986 Ross Mount Hood, 1986 Mongoose ATB, 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker I, 1973 World Voyageur, 1941 Schwinn DX "Klunker"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad

This
Kids in my neighborhood had Stingrays. The kid across the street had an apple crate (late 60's) I wanted one but dad drug home and old balloon tire Hawthorne. That bike would fly once you got it going. Miss it.
Old 02-04-19, 09:57 PM
AngryFrankie

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Losa Winner, 1994 Schwinn Paramount, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Miele SLX, Ibis Ripley, Colnago Oval CX, 84 Masi GC, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1988 Schwinn Tempo, 1998 Schwinn Peloton, 1991 Paramount Ser3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 55 Posts
Sweet! Fork rake looks a little "extra relaxed." I bet that bike flew through the air with a kid on it more than a few times.
(Oh, btw, it was an early 70's Sears Spyder bike for me. My older brother got the Stingray. That was the story of my life!)
Old 02-04-19, 10:23 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
I started out on a Sting-Ray then had a series of Collegiates as I grew taller. I broke that series with a 25" frame Le Tour III. I was a tall skinny kid. (Nowadays- not so skinny.) About then I got hired at the local Schwinn shop and the rest is history.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 02-04-19, 10:38 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Nice to see an old Stingray. Dig the streamers. Once a feature on pretty much everyone's bike. I learned to ride on a Stingray, one that belonged to my neighbor. Within about 5 minutes I was jumping it off an improvised motocross course. They were great for wheelies too. This probably explains the extra relaxed fork angle. It was the Evel Knievel era. In apparently a very common story, they were too rich for my blood too. A couple years later I got a "practical" POS 3 speed instead.
Old 02-04-19, 10:57 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts

saved up my allowance and lawn mowing money and bought a brand new red Apple Krate back in '69. With shocks = first suspension mountain bike. I had my first endo with that bike. Great for wheelies, as noted above. Be a cool kid.
Old 02-05-19, 12:40 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
It took me 18 months to save up enough for a Sting-Ray in the Fall of 1969. That was a long 18 months, what was really frustrating was watching the price increase due to inflation as I saved... Gave me a very direct view of economics.
It did fuel the interest in bikes though, As soon as I had bought that bike I was saving for my next bike... A road bike...
with the features Eugene A Sloane was writing about as I found out at Christmas 1970.

BTW, Liked the chain guard on this one best with the "fin" that overlapped the seat stay, Schwinn had Style.
Old 02-05-19, 03:43 AM
Furyus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
I like the look of this bike. Brings back memories because this is what a kid bike looked like after it was handed down through a bunch of brothers and a cousin or two. Childhood history written all over this one. Very nice.
Preserved it all under Gibbs oil. Added a few touches of my own. Prefer natural decay to correct restoration. Appreciate your post.
Old 02-05-19, 03:51 AM
Furyus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AngryFrankie
Sweet! Fork rake looks a little "extra relaxed." I bet that bike flew through the air with a kid on it more than a few times.
(Oh, btw, it was an early 70's Sears Spyder bike for me. My older brother got the Stingray. That was the story of my life!)
The fork is definitely relaxed. Someone has done a nice job straightening it in the past. The bike is relieved to know that beyond being ridden occasionally by a 200 lb old man, the odds of work-related injury are greatly reduced.

Old 02-05-19, 03:55 AM
Furyus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Nice to see an old Stingray. Dig the streamers. Once a feature on pretty much everyone's bike. I learned to ride on a Stingray, one that belonged to my neighbor. Within about 5 minutes I was jumping it off an improvised motocross course. They were great for wheelies too. This probably explains the extra relaxed fork angle. It was the Evel Knievel era. In apparently a very common story, they were too rich for my blood too. A couple years later I got a "practical" POS 3 speed instead.
Glad you dig the streamers. Folks seem to love ‘em or hate ‘em. I made these out of a vintage (what else?) Schwinn inner tube. The pic makes them look uneven, and they are a bit by design, but not as much as they appear.

Old 02-05-19, 04:08 AM
Furyus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The ghost of the Sting-Ray screen on the chain guard. The white dot over the “I” in Sting-Ray is all that’s left, the rest is a shadow on the paint. The Slik is a ‘69 that I’ve had stashed for years waiting for the right bike. Stashed no more.

Old 02-05-19, 05:15 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
that's a beauty!

still remember the day I got mine. 10th birthday. was down the corner chatting up a girl when my brother came to fetch me for lunch. he said you have you get home now. drats! sat down for lunch w all 6 of us around the table. Dad says go look in the den, got a birthday present for you. went in by myself & saw my very own bike. metallic blue w matching metallic blue banana seat. oh man I was so happy. that same brother then took me outside to show me how to ride it! didn't take long!
Old 02-05-19, 06:41 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
My first sting ray was an Iverson Charger. Weighed in at about 500 lbs., but I had good legs when I was 12! It had a great coaster brake and a slick rear tire, and I could skid that thing for 2 blocks!

We used to buy packs of baseball cards, and we would take the doubles and clothspin them to the spokes and it sounded like a Chevy 427 for a few blocks! Good, simple, carefree days. I often wish my kids could have lived them...
Old 02-05-19, 07:22 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Iconic!
Old 02-05-19, 07:52 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
I grew up riding bikes like that too. Don't remember the bars being quite that tall and wide? Actually, I rode a cheaper clone, a Murray maybe? Can't remember exact brand but I do remember Schwinn's being more expensive than most other brands.
Old 02-05-19, 08:07 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Mine had knobbies, and I saved and skidded enough to get the "slick" rear, one with a white stripe. I think some of the Schwinn slicks had white lettering, just like the car tires. Truly a flat tire "face," and you could feel it squirm over the edge of the tire face if you cornered too sharp, too slow.

I could never find a matching front, with a white stripe.

The Schwinn dealer was in Madison, 57 miles away, and I never even set foot in the place, but popped up in the car every time we drove by.

Only one kid in our town had a real Sting-Ray, and when he got older he got a Collegiate, and another guy got a Varsity. Only two Schwinns I saw until I got my own Varsity years later. Never saw a Paramount in person until I bought one.

The Sting-Ray had it's own featured section at Bicycles Art Meets Form in High Point. In the galleries next to Pegoretti's frames.
Old 02-05-19, 08:11 AM
Furyus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
My first sting ray was an Iverson Charger. Weighed in at about 500 lbs., but I had good legs when I was 12! It had a great coaster brake and a slick rear tire, and I could skid that thing for 2 blocks!

We used to buy packs of baseball cards, and we would take the doubles and clothspin them to the spokes and it sounded like a Chevy 427 for a few blocks! Good, simple, carefree days. I often wish my kids could have lived them...
Did the same. Wonderful days, and far better than being glued to a screen like we are now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.