Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'65 Sting-Ray

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

'65 Sting-Ray

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-19, 08:11 AM
Furyus

Bikes: 1968 Schwinn Slik Chik, 1983 Miyata 310, 2022 Sunday Model C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Iconic!
Thank you!
Old 02-05-19, 08:12 AM
Furyus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nessism
I grew up riding bikes like that too. Don't remember the bars being quite that tall and wide? Actually, I rode a cheaper clone, a Murray maybe? Can't remember exact brand but I do remember Schwinn's being more expensive than most other brands.
Just the angle of the pic. The bars are original to the bike - '65 stamped Schwinn.
Old 02-05-19, 08:16 AM
Furyus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Mine had knobbies, and I saved and skidded enough to get the "slick" rear, one with a white stripe. I think some of the Schwinn slicks had white lettering, just like the car tires. Truly a flat tire "face," and you could feel it squirm over the edge of the tire face if you cornered too sharp, too slow.

I could never find a matching front, with a white stripe.

The Schwinn dealer was in Madison, 57 miles away, and I never even set foot in the place, but popped up in the car every time we drove by.

Only one kid in our town had a real Sting-Ray, and when he got older he got a Collegiate, and another guy got a Varsity. Only two Schwinns I saw until I got my own Varsity years later. Never saw a Paramount in person until I bought one.

The Sting-Ray had it's own featured section at Bicycles Art Meets Form in High Point. In the galleries next to Pegoretti's frames.
I think I was the only kid that had a Sting-Ray, too. I think my parents bought it to make up for how much they fought. Sure loved that bike, and love 'em to this day.

They are art in my eye.
Old 02-05-19, 08:41 AM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
When I was a kid one of my friends had a Stingray. He could wheelie that thing forever, like down the street and out of site. Then he'd come back and still be on the back wheel. He was an inspiration!
Old 02-05-19, 08:02 PM
RandolphCarter
PeopleCode delaminator

Bikes: 1986 Trek 310 Elance, 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide, 1987 Trek Antelope 800, 2003 Haro F4, 198? Allsop Offroad Climber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 66 Posts
This is the same color as the one I had. Mine was the Columbia version, not an actual Schwinn. It was a hand-me-down from my cousin.

I got it when I was 4 and rode it for several years When I was 9 I changed over to a Team Murray 20" BMX bike in 1980.
Old 02-05-19, 09:27 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
A "Sting Ray" was the beginning of my bicycle building back in junior hight school (circa 1963-64). My parents weren't about to buy me a new one, they figured the Mark IV Jaguar they got me back in 1958 for my birthday should still be doing fine . . . . . . . so I got hold of a Schwinn 20" kids bike, figured a way to put a bigger chainwheel on in, then added the high riser bar and seat picked up at Sears. After dad saw what I had built, he asked me to take it back apart and took the painted parts to his Chevy dealership and had his paint guy spray it 64 Chevrolet dark blue.

And that was the beginning of what I'm doing now.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 02-05-19, 09:30 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Nessism
I grew up riding bikes like that too. Don't remember the bars being quite that tall and wide? Actually, I rode a cheaper clone, a Murray maybe? Can't remember exact brand but I do remember Schwinn's being more expensive than most other brands.
A genuine Schwinn Sting Ray cost something like double what a Huffy or Murray cost. Back in my hometown (Johnstown, PA), if you couldn't afford a Schwinn, a Sears clone was the second best option.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 02-05-19, 10:00 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Mine had knobbies, and I saved and skidded enough to get the "slick" rear, one with a white stripe. I think some of the Schwinn slicks had white lettering, just like the car tires. Truly a flat tire "face," and you could feel it squirm over the edge of the tire face if you cornered too sharp, too slow.

I could never find a matching front, with a white stripe.

The Schwinn dealer was in Madison, 57 miles away, and I never even set foot in the place, but popped up in the car every time we drove by.

Only one kid in our town had a real Sting-Ray, and when he got older he got a Collegiate, and another guy got a Varsity. Only two Schwinns I saw until I got my own Varsity years later. Never saw a Paramount in person until I bought one.

The Sting-Ray had it's own featured section at Bicycles Art Meets Form in High Point. In the galleries next to Pegoretti's frames.
Don't recall white lettering on Schwinn tires, but do recall the oval mustard emblem with the black SILK typography.
Silk casing!
Old 02-06-19, 12:34 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
My mother bought me a bike like this when I was nine, so that would have been 1970. I think the name on it was GT Torino. It wasn't as well built as a Schwinn, but it served me well. I had rear view mirrors installed on both sides of the handlebars, and they had two big reflectors on the backs of each one. The bike had a Sturmey Archer AW three-speed hub and a big stickshift on the top tube. A kid in the neighborhood adjusted my hub at one point, and I watched him and learned how to do it myself. I can adjust one of those with my eyes closed, literally, using sound and feel. The brakes were crappy long reach sidepulls, and they didn't work well, but I didn't know any better. I rode that bike until I was 14 and it was time to get my first 10-speed for a bike tour.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-06-19, 06:08 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
My little brother had the 24" Manta Ray version back in the early 70s. I used to ride it up the hill past my house and do sharp S turns back down. Very quick handling bike. A blast to drift the back wheel into turns on that down hill.My Rudge wouldn't do that.
Old 02-06-19, 06:31 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
My younger brother had a 20" Sting Ray (Sears version) and I had a 26" bike, also from Sears. We rode those bikes everywhere and a lot of places we shouldn't have. From our house, there was a little town called Lytle Five Points. We could sometimes get a quarter from Mom or Dad, and we'd ride over there and buy ice cream sandwiches at the little country store. We would sit on the store's front porch and eat our ice cream, then hop on the bikes and ride home.

We would strap our bamboo poles to the bikes and ride to a nearby pond where we would fish for bluegills. Took a small shovel to dig worms for bait.

Fun times.
Old 02-06-19, 08:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
mine looked like this, w/o the fenders & w/o the front brake. it was stolen outside a pet shop I went into for fish food. Dad called the cops. we got a call back a day or two later & said they had something. before showing it to us, we didn't record the serial # so when the officer asked me if I could identify anything personal about it I told him I had tied a red bandanna around the saddle rails, underneath so it would blow in the wind. when we got to look at it, the thief had ripped that bandanna off but there was still some of the knotted cloth under the saddle. score! after that I started writing down serial numbers.

Old 02-06-19, 09:50 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts
The rich kid in the neighborhood had a purple one. Some of the rest of us got our knock-offs 2-3 years later. By that time, the rich kid had moved on to be the "early adopter" of the next cool thing.
Anyway, mine was from Sears (like pretty much all my clothes and stuff).
It was an elongated Sting-Ray-like bike called The Rail. It was purple and had a 5-speed T-handle shifter on the top tube surrounded by a plastic "wood-grained" console.
I see a Huffy model of that same bike occasionally, but I rarely see the Sears version.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 02-06-19, 10:15 AM
Bigbandito
Circus bear

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute 2.3

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Wow! These bikes bring back memories. I had a Sting Ray knock off in the late 60s. Loved the flat rear slick. As I recall, the bike had a silver glitter banana seat and low "sissy bar" (anyone familiar with that term?). I wanted one of the high sissy bars that went up higher than your head. Sure wish I had that bike now.

I remember wearing a t-shirt my parents found at the thrift store with "You Bet Your Bippy" written on it and a baseball cap from the same store with a "Basagran" logo on it. My brother and I always wondered what they meant.

In the early 70's I rode with a neighborhood friend who was a chopper fan. He hacksawed the forks off another bike and slid them onto the ends of the fork on his bike. We never thought about it then, but there was probably a pretty good chance of "catastrophic failure" for that arrangement.

I believe I'll be able to relive those days in heaven.

Last edited by Bigbandito; 02-06-19 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-06-19, 05:16 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
mine looked like this, w/o the fenders & w/o the front brake. it was stolen outside a pet shop I went into for fish food. Dad called the cops. we got a call back a day or two later & said they had something. before showing it to us, we didn't record the serial # so when the officer asked me if I could identify anything personal about it I told him I had tied a red bandanna around the saddle rails, underneath so it would blow in the wind. when we got to look at it, the thief had ripped that bandanna off but there was still some of the knotted cloth under the saddle. score! after that I started writing down serial numbers.

Never saw the white lettering rear tires at my local Schwinn shop--- I would have bought in.
They did have a "cheater" slick with wavy square tread in the later 60's.
Also got my first lesson on tire sizes... 1.750 = 1 3/4" except when it does not.

By 1970, it was a single mattress saddle as the one of choice, small early or Junior Sting-Ray front chainring, no guard, tractor tires as we were in proto-BMX era.
Then, girl's frame with top tube welded in about 60% of the way up, small tube between the original two down tubes, bright color rattle can frame and matt black fork.
Welding by Cycle Products West, a Motocross tuning shop. Learned to miter tubes with a big rat tail file.
The Banana seat returned, but the hoop was cut off, struts on the inside of the saddle and fender washers to keep things strong and tidy each side, I found button head cap screws...and nylock nuts, one had to keep up appearances you know. Then I saw tied and soldiered spokes on a track bike... hey, I can do that!

Helped a number get set up similarly. The local Schwinn shop owner could not understand why I wanted a Slick Chick used in Pink no less for $25... Then he saw the result, snapped an image no doubt for Chicago to review. They did not understand this bicycle motocross thing. BMX was not yet a term. Sold my transformed Girls bike for a profit a few years later, bought a pair of Campagnolo pedals and Phil Wood bottom bracket for my next chapter, a Road Bike.

Last edited by repechage; 02-06-19 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-06-19, 05:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by speedevil
My younger brother had a 20" Sting Ray (Sears version) and I had a 26" bike, also from Sears. We rode those bikes everywhere and a lot of places we shouldn't have. From our house, there was a little town called Lytle Five Points. We could sometimes get a quarter from Mom or Dad, and we'd ride over there and buy ice cream sandwiches at the little country store. We would sit on the store's front porch and eat our ice cream, then hop on the bikes and ride home.

We would strap our bamboo poles to the bikes and ride to a nearby pond where we would fish for bluegills. Took a small shovel to dig worms for bait.

Fun times.
That's such a sweet story.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 02-06-19, 06:39 PM
Furyus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Never saw the white lettering rear tires at my local Schwinn shop--- I would have bought in.
They did have a "cheater" slick with wavy square tread in the later 60's.
Also got my first lesson on tire sizes... 1.750 = 1 3/4" except when it does not.

By 1970, it was a single mattress saddle as the one of choice, small early or Junior Sting-Ray front chainring, no guard, tractor tires as we were in proto-BMX era.
Then, girl's frame with top tube welded in about 60% of the way up, small tube between the original two down tubes, bright color rattle can frame and matt black fork.
Welding by Cycle Products West, a Motocross tuning shop. Learned to miter tubes with a big rat tail file.
The Banana seat returned, but the hoop was cut off, struts on the inside of the saddle and fender washers to keep things strong and tidy each side, I found button head cap screws...and nylock nuts, one had to keep up appearances you know. Then I saw tied and soldiered spokes on a track bike... hey, I can do that!

Helped a number get set up similarly. The local Schwinn shop owner could not understand why I wanted a Slick Chick used in Pink no less for $25... Then he saw the result, snapped an image no doubt for Chicago to review. They did not understand this bicycle motocross thing. BMX was not yet a term. Sold my transformed Girls bike for a profit a few years later, bought a pair of Campagnolo pedals and Phil Wood bottom bracket for my next chapter, a Road Bike.
I do remember those days when BMX was MX or as we called them, “dirt bikes.” Got a real dirt bike (motorcycle) shortly afterward and spent the next forty-some years on two motorized wheels. Now that I’m getting old, it’s full-circle back to the bikes of my youth.

Speaking of Slik Chiks, here’s my wife’s ‘68, certainly far less scruffy than my ‘65. She is considerably less scruffy than me, too.

Old 02-06-19, 06:47 PM
Furyus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by speedevil

Fun times.
Great memories. I feel sorry for kids today because most will never get to experience what you and your brother did in a single day.
Old 02-06-19, 06:57 PM
Furyus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
A "Sting Ray" was the beginning of my bicycle building back in junior hight school (circa 1963-64). My parents weren't about to buy me a new one, they figured the Mark IV Jaguar they got me back in 1958 for my birthday should still be doing fine . . . . . . . so I got hold of a Schwinn 20" kids bike, figured a way to put a bigger chainwheel on in, then added the high riser bar and seat picked up at Sears. After dad saw what I had built, he asked me to take it back apart and took the painted parts to his Chevy dealership and had his paint guy spray it 64 Chevrolet dark blue.

And that was the beginning of what I'm doing now.
Good times. I was around then, but toddlin’. Fascinated by that era, though, the bikes, the cars, drag racing, that whole culture. Never see anything as pure again.
Old 02-06-19, 07:28 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Believe it or not, here in the lower half of Manhattan, people commute on all kinds of bikes, including these high-rise bikes. Their reason is that it's at hand, no sentimentality in most cases.

Old 02-06-19, 07:45 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Have always been partial to the shorter pre-'66 frames. Still looks good too; paint wear be damned.

-Kurt

Old 02-07-19, 01:31 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Furyus
Speaking of Slik Chiks, here’s my wife’s ‘68, certainly far less scruffy than my ‘65. She is considerably less scruffy than me, too.
Personally, I prefer "seasoned" to "scruffy".
Old 02-08-19, 04:26 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
The rich kid "down the block" (which was a quarter mile away since I was a country kid) had a Sting Ray. I got an American Eagle (later marketed as Nishiki) knock-off when I was about 10, my first bike.
Old 02-08-19, 09:06 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Interesting how so many of us are basically telling the same story. The Schwinn was the desired bike, and we compromised with similar and inexpensiver bikes.

Old 02-08-19, 12:26 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Interesting how so many of us are basically telling the same story. The Schwinn was the desired bike, and we compromised with similar and inexpensiver bikes.
+1
Thats the way it was in my neighborhood. The few times I rode a Schwinn it always seemed a lot nicer then what the rest of us were riding. I bet part of the reason was because they came from a bike shop instead of a department store and were set up better. This feeling carried over until I bought my first ten speed - a Super Sport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.