Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My luck ran out

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My luck ran out

Old 02-07-19, 02:31 PM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
My luck ran out

Hope this isn't an omen, only February and it seems my luck already ran out.
Got hit today. It seems some people make turns with their cars without using that little turn-signal-gadget thingie.
Good news; I am fine. Bad news; one of my Shimano STIs didn't fare as well.
So, if anyone has a triple/10sp/front/.STI (used) for sale, I could use it.

Reason for this post: Everyone...please be careful out there. Don't assume you know what drivers are going to do. Head-up, watch, scan.
Old 02-07-19, 02:36 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,041 Times in 1,250 Posts
The fact you're already asking for replacement parts is a good omen. Glad you're OK. Drivers are out to get you, repeat before every ride.

Last edited by clubman; 02-07-19 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 02:46 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagerando
It seems some people make turns with their cars without using that little turn-signal-gadget thingie.

I do believe turn signals are an 'option' in Cadillacs.
(Never, ever do Cadillac drivers use them... or maybe they can't find it.... Or too busy fumbling with all the other crap and things rather than drive.)

Good news; I am fine.

Whew! Thank goodness!

Stay safe!
Old 02-07-19, 02:52 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2923 Post(s)
Liked 2,915 Times in 1,488 Posts
People are idiots. Glad your OK.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-07-19, 02:54 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts
Hope this isn't an omen, only February and it seems my luck already ran out.
Got hit today. It seems some people make turns with their cars without using that little turn-signal-gadget thingie.
Good news; I am fine. Bad news; one of my Shimano STIs didn't fare as well.

Reason for this post: Everyone...please be careful out there. Don't assume you know what drivers are going to do. Head-up, watch, scan.
Very glad you're ok. You cannot know what drivers are going to do, because they don't know what they are going to do.

I've ridden motorcycles and bicycles all my life, NEVER take anything for granted, head on a swivel, you cannot avoid much more than one imminent threat at a time so if one draws your focus and another happens at the same time, you may be hard pressed to mitigate them.

Anytime there is a vehicle close enough to strike you, you are in danger, NEVER give them the benefit of the doubt.

Always remember, fault may ultimately have no bearing if you don't survive or are permanently disabled, no amount of money will bring you back.

Again, very glad you're ok.
Old 02-07-19, 03:04 PM
05 fuji
Cancer survivor (twice)

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 74 Posts
Your luck did not run out - you are ok!

Keep the luck going!
Old 02-07-19, 03:06 PM
vintagerando

Originally Posted by 05 fuji
Your luck did not run out - you are ok!

Keep the luck going!
Wow...i hadnt thought of it that way.. You're right. Thanks
Old 02-07-19, 03:09 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 666 Posts
Glad you're OK. Thank you for the reminder to always be on our guard.
Sometimes it seems like we are wearing invisibility cloaks out there on the road regardless of what color we see them to be.
Old 02-07-19, 03:12 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
best wishes & thanks for the reminder!

btw I added a strobe to my left drop bar & it prevents ppl from moving right in the lane prematurely after passing me & has cut down on the close passes ass well. maybe the same would help prevent a future right hook?

Old 02-07-19, 03:13 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,571 Times in 1,758 Posts
Glad you're OK!

I really don't understand why people don't use their indicators. It's not like it takes a lot of effort. They've kept me from hitting a cyclist at least twice ...

Old 02-07-19, 03:16 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Americans have conditioned each other and themselves to not use turn signals. I've driven all over the US and in most cities a turn signal means "Please speed up and cut me off so I can't turn or merge safely." Inevitably drivers won't signal.

Also, too many drivers are barely aware that they're driving a multi-ton battering ram at high speed. They wait until the last possible moment to decide to turn, change lanes to stop. One of my best friends seems to be so easily distracted that I dare not talk while she's driving. I'm even tempted to turn off her car radio. Fortunately she's never distracted by her cell phone. She doesn't trust those doggone newfangled contraptions. She used to keep in in the trunk. Now it's in the glove box.

The one thing I find some drivers are very good at operating while I'm riding my bike is their horn. They can't seem to focus at least as much on the view through the windshield as on the view through their handheld virtual unreality display. They can't seem to operate a turn signal. They can't seem to operate a steering wheel: instead of turning properly they'll cut diagonally toward oncoming traffic to make a left turn; the smaller the vehicle, the more room they need to back out of a driveway, to the point that a shoebox sized battery powered roller skate car needs the turn radius of a cargo ship. They can't seem to operate brakes. They can't seem to lift pressure off the go pedal. But they can darn sure mash that horn button.

Humans are a good argument in favor of AI controlled vehicles.
Old 02-07-19, 03:16 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,532 Posts
glad all is ok except for sti.....I assume drives are going to pull a bonehead move and watch carefully, especially when commuting.....at least then I know most of the places the are likely for someone running to get their kids to school to pull something ill advised

Old 02-07-19, 03:18 PM
vintagerando

I had Dayglo coat, flashing front light, etc. The car had passed me earlier; they must have know I was pretty close.
Hopefully this doesn't offend anyone...just the facts. The couple that got out of the car were easily late 70s or early 80s. Old enough that they had to slowly amble over to me laying in the intersection. I waved them off; said i was fine. The husband keep repeating, "she told me to turn at the last minute....." etc.
So, he acknowledged he didnt use a turn signal and made a last second decision to turn. Whatever....it happen. I am alive. I should have been more vigilant.
Old 02-07-19, 03:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by rumrunn6

btw I added a strobe to my left drop bar & it prevents ppl from moving right in the lane prematurely after passing me & has cut down on the close passes ass well. maybe the same would help prevent a future right hook?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqc1yGx4l2g
Clever. I do use red reflective bar end caps on my drop bar bike. And usually two or three taillights -- sometimes two on the bike and one on my helmet.

But the bar mounted lights may help aid perspective, relative approach speed, etc., just as with motorcycles.
Old 02-07-19, 03:30 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

I had Dayglo coat, flashing front light, etc. The car had passed me earlier; they must have know I was pretty close.
Hopefully this doesn't offend anyone...just the facts. The couple that got out of the car were easily late 70s or early 80s. Old enough that they had to slowly amble over to me laying in the intersection. I waved them off; said i was fine. The husband keep repeating, "she told me to turn at the last minute....." etc.
So, he acknowledged he didnt use a turn signal and made a last second decision to turn. Whatever....it happen. I am alive. I should have been more vigilant.
I don't have any problem saying that as adults age the driver competence testing needs to be stricter and more frequent. I've been the caregiver for three consecutive older family members since the early 1990s -- both grandparents, 10 years apart, and most recently my mom until her death in November. Fortunately my mom voluntarily gave up driving years earlier when she recognized that her physical and mental capacities had diminished -- she had limited mobility and flexibility due to arthritis and back injuries, and Alzheimer's. My granddad insisted on driving until he simply could no longer climb in and out of a vehicle (bad knee, and his knee replacement never healed properly because he refused to do any physical therapy). My grandmother drove until her mid-80s, by which time I took over chauffeur duties.

At 61 now, I recognize that my physical abilities are diminishing, enough that I probably won't be able to drive safely by the time I'm in my 70s. I barely passed my last drivers test because an old neck injury hindered my ability to turn my head to look behind me. I used the mirrors instead. I've worked hard on PT and can now turn my head to look over my shoulder while riding bikes, so I'm less dependent on mirrors. But it won't get better with age.

Americans are big on personal rights and liberties and not very enthusiastic about personal responsibility and liability. It shows every time we're behind the wheel of our multi-ton battering rams. It shows in the horrific death toll caused by motor vehicles, particularly affecting pedestrians.

I see nothing wrong with scrutinizing older drivers more closely with age. The problem is that alternative transportation will be necessary. And older Americans tend to resist taxes to fund public transportation. That leaves taxis, charitable organizations that provide rides to medical appointments and essential shopping, and family and friends.
Old 02-07-19, 04:22 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts

Nice idea but I would be VERY much bothered with that strobe flashing while riding.

I've been more involved with cyclist and motorist legal with some ideas. Firstly and without doubt, right now cyclist are at a huge disadvantage in court litigation. It doesn't matter what State either.

We need more pro active ghost bike memorials that are allowed as permanent fixtures. Confront lawmakers at re-election and demonstrate their failures to provide safety for pedestrians and cyclist.

Pray better cycling cameras are soon available and low cost. Something that clearly shows license plates, and the ability to report to LEO's, upload to YouTube the perps, serve them as attempted murder. Make laws tough as they've achieved for DUI.

I've been a victim more than once.

Use this
https://closecalldatabase.com
Old 02-07-19, 04:30 PM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked 6,448 Times in 3,188 Posts
While in the right hand bike lane, I can't tell you how many times the car directly in front of me turned right without its signal. I never pass a car on its right if it's possible they could cut me off.

Last edited by SurferRosa; 02-07-19 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 05:47 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
I'll add my voice to the "glad you're OK" chorus, but I also want to say that I've got some triple Shimano STI shifters on the parts shelf. Send me a PM and let's see what we can work out.
Old 02-07-19, 06:10 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
As mentioned before, I never pass a car on the right(when nearing an intersection or turn in). If they seem like they're turning right, I'll take the lane behind them and go around their left. I've had people try to turn into me before just as you did. Ya gotta be proactive about the jerks in cars. 60% of them shouldn't have a license.

That's an awesome idea!*

*Minus the intense, bright flashing part. If it's that bright during the day, it might be blinding to ride on the road with you at night...

Last edited by 3speed; 02-07-19 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 06:28 PM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqc1yGx4l2g
I like this idea.
Old 02-07-19, 07:01 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Glad you survived, and the car actually stopped. Was it a right hook or a left hook?
Old 02-07-19, 07:13 PM
vintagerando

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Glad you survived, and the car actually stopped. Was it a right hook or a left hook?
right hook
Old 02-07-19, 07:16 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
the bar strobe is not visible to the rider
Old 02-07-19, 07:19 PM
Furyus

Bikes: 1968 Schwinn Slik Chik, 1983 Miyata 310, 2022 Sunday Model C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
After 40-some years and 300,000 miles on street motorcycles, I quit riding. I had used eight of my nine lives. If those cars scared me when I had 100 horsepower, there’s no way I’ll go near traffic on a bicycle. I don’t know how anyone enjoys riding a bike and sharing the road with today’s drivers, they’re too distracted and insulated. Call me shicken chit, but I only ride on bike paths now.

Glad you’re already looking for bike bits as there are a lot of different endings to this story.

furyus
Old 02-07-19, 10:09 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,023 Times in 989 Posts
Glad you're ok, as well. This week has not been a good week for city traffic. I was bumped at a light yesterday morning as the sun was at absolute maximum blinding angle (plus the glare off the wet road etc)--and I didn't have a windshield to worsen my vision! The lady had stopped behind me and was creeping forward and bumped me. She was thankfully apologetic, and the only casualty was my dremel-cut-up cheap plastic $5 fender (been meaning to replace it with something prettier) that broke in its weakest part (under duct tape, so I straightened and still rode it. That was a nice notification to avoid the road at all costs during that blinding hour and just use a segregated two-way cycle path a block over. The fender is mended, and I told her not to worry--I've bumped other drivers with my bike to no detriment of either of us or our property, and they've been gracious. This was a chance to return it, especially as a ride off a curb gives one's backside a lot more of a jolt.

Usually BMWs are the ones without functioning turn signals. Tonight it was a late model VW Golf or GTI, tinted frickin' windows (I hate tinted windows as a driver and as a cyclist--can't see crap!), and a busted taillight bulb. Three/four lane one way traffic up a main artery in downtown, medium traffic, 15-20 mph, my front wheel just eclipsed his bumper laterally and the driver just shoots over into my lane. Both brakes on hard, locked the rear and swerved with room to spare. Not cool, VW driver.

Soon it won't be so dang cold and I won't be on slow and lower-inflated (for snow/ice grip) CX tires--my acceleration and fast cruising speed are affected enough that it's just outside of normal traffic flow, which I dislike as in-the-flow = generally fine and out-of-the-flow = potentially quite hazardous. I should just take that 2nd Avenue protected bike lane more on the way back. It's actually a nice break from the mayhem. I'll just need to break my main 4th Avenue habit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.