Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Post Knee Replacement Pedals

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-22, 10:09 AM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts

I had a knee replacement 6 weeks ago. I can turn over a pedal on a stationary bike but won't be riding a real bike for a bit. I clip out with my left [operative leg] foot when I stop, I currently use SPD pedals and MTB shoes on my road bikes.

It has been suggested that the Wahoo Fitness pedal is the best choice for a post operative knee. I don't mind buying a road shoe and that pedal if is the best. Any thoughts as the best pedal for coming back from a knee replacement? I am 70 and not a super high performance guy.

Thanks.

Mike
Likes For IcySwan1:
Old 01-31-22, 11:05 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,997 Times in 4,456 Posts
Have you had good luck with the SPD pedals for years? Why switch? Is it to get more float or easier release?
If I was worried I might try flat pedals for a while.
Old 01-31-22, 11:22 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,060 Times in 3,810 Posts
The Wahoo pedals have been known by the name Speedplay for decades, and there are a lot of people that love them because of their free float that is (supposedly) less stressful on knees. I've been using them since the late '90s.
Old 01-31-22, 12:50 PM
IcySwan1 

I am more concerned about ease of exit than float. Certainly a flat pedal would solve that. I do have a Shimano flat/SPD pedal on one bike. Although it is not the best of either worlds it may the best transition choice.

I think the guy said the Wahoo Fitness was different than the Wahoo Speedplay, but I will check it out tomorrow.
Likes For IcySwan1:
Old 01-31-22, 12:55 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
I don't know how long or how often you have been ridding. For me unfortunately any little change in my bike setup or equipment is hard for me to adapt to. Just be careful on your pedal change. There are allot of things that you do that are more muscle memory...
Old 01-31-22, 01:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,060 Times in 3,810 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySwan1
I am more concerned about ease of exit than float. Certainly a flat pedal would solve that. I do have a Shimano flat/SPD pedal on one bike. Although it is not the best of either worlds it may the best transition choice.

I think the guy said the Wahoo Fitness was different than the Wahoo Speedplay, but I will check it out tomorrow.
The only pedals on the Wahoo Fitness website are Speedplay. Due to the float, the amount of rotation required to exit a Speedplay pedal might be troublesome for you. Since I've only been using Speedplay for such a long time, I really can't offer any comparison to any other road pedals.
Old 01-31-22, 07:09 PM
big john

Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,997 Times in 4,456 Posts
I still use Look Delta pedals (I know, I'm a dinosaur) and they are not the easiest to get out of. I use SPD pedals on the mountain bike and they release easily enough for me if I set them at the loose tension and keep them lubed. They do get sticky after using them in the wet.
Old 01-31-22, 07:47 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
After my patella fracture, I found getting IN to pedals was harder than getting out - it's not like the twisting action hurt that much, it's that I didn't have a fine feeling of where my foot was over the pedal and when to "shove". SPDs worked just fine though, and they release pretty easy. The biggest issue was planting my foot down at a stop - oh, and I still can't track stand worth a damn.
Old 01-31-22, 07:57 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
I've had a bad knee for 30+ years, I will probably need replacement in the next few years according to my surgeon after he removed my lateral meniscus this past summer. I'm a big fan of Time road pedals, currently on the latest generation XPro 10. Entry and release are quite easy (although I click out with my good side, just many years of muscle memory).
Old 02-01-22, 02:31 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
I ran look pedals prior to having the ever so popular knee arthroscopic surgery. No way I could continue with my current set up post op, so I switched to Speedplay 10+ years ago. I have never looked back and couldn’t be happier. Take care , and good luck.
Old 02-01-22, 08:28 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 435 Posts
While recovering, why not use flat pedals with "pins"? Won't have an unclipping problem, can move your foot to any position on the pedal if your knee(s) start bothering you. And once you're ready, can always go back to clipless. BTW--I rode a mtn.bike exclusively before buying a road bike, always used flats with pins, still do, even on the road bike.

Last edited by freeranger; 02-01-22 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-01-22, 09:13 AM
IcySwan1 

Thanks for all the great input. Like Diablo Scott, track stand is not in my kit of skills. I am working hard at PT and the twist to unclip move may not be as difficult as I originally thought. Nevertheless, I think the advice to use flat pedals initially is good - it should lessen my concern for tipping over while still clipped in and hurting the operative knee.

Mike
Old 02-01-22, 04:09 PM
DDzBike

Bikes: Giant Anyroad Comax

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I've had surgery on both knees.

Currently use Shimano flat/SPD pedals and MTB shoes. No problems.

BTW, I rarely use the flat side except when wearing running shoes.
Old 02-01-22, 07:05 PM
Pearson100

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
I've had knee replacements on both knees. I've been riding with clipless since the surgeries (less than 2 years ago), but have decided that I will move to flats on my gravel bike. There are more times on gravel where I need to get off/stop quickly, and I just worry about twisting my knee. I'll stick with clipless on my road bike since there is less of a need to get off quickly.
Old 02-13-22, 04:22 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
I just had a knee replacement 2 days ago, having failed arthroscopic meniscotomy.
I would be careful with flat pedals if you are used to clipless, as your feet can come off easily (depending on what your stroke is like)..
I am planning to keep my Time pedals.
Old 02-22-22, 07:58 AM
bob307

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am a newbie to bikeforums and just posting a reply to this thread to cheer on people with joint replacements. I have not ridden in years due to arthritis. I have had a knee and a shoulder replaced in the last year and a half with another knee on the horizon.

I have been cleaning up my touring bike in anticipation of putting it on the market, but have a triple cross waiting in the wings if I can ride again in the future.
Likes For bob307:
Old 02-22-22, 01:30 PM
Saudadeii
USAF Veteran

Bikes: 1984 Univega GT, 2000 Fuji Newest

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
Would it be heresy to say I use toe clips on flat pedals? I removed the straps so I can angle my feet as needed and not worry about getting locked in.

BTW, I've had both knees replaced.
Old 03-07-22, 04:30 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
With the SPD MTB pedals there are two different types of cleats that can be used and they differ in range of motion or float and ease of release. The Shimano SH51 are single release and the SH56 are multi release. With an artificial knee the SH56 would probably be the best ones to use. I have had no issues with the SH56 releasing by accident.

With my wife's hip replacement she experienced some pain when riding at first and she fixed the problem by doing stretching exercises to stretch the ligaments. Your PT should have instructed you on exercises to maintain flexibillty with the knee.
Old 03-12-22, 08:15 AM
ping jockey

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will second Calsun's recommendation of the SH56 cleats. I've used them for a couple of years, they are easier to release and I've never had an unplanned or accidental release.
Old 03-14-22, 03:21 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Ke

[QUOTE=IcySwan1;22393718]I had a knee replacement 6 weeks ago....... I am 70 and not a super high performance guy.
/QUOTE]
Best of luck with your recovery - my sister had both her knees replaced and is very happy with the result.

IMO a nice set of racy, light flat pedals will spice up the looks of your bike and make you never miss clipless. Paired with a qrippy flat-soled shoe like Van's or maybe some Chuck Taylor high tops these pedals will give you stability and performance without the concern being clipped in. The steel pins that grip the shoe sole are adjustable and replaceable for fine-tuning.

I have Deitys (and Chuck Taylors) in aluminum and composite (less pricey than aluminum) and they are excellent.

This is your opportunity to escape the tyranny of clipless and lycra!!! Make yourself feel 30 years younger!!

https://www.deitycomponents.com/bladerunner-pedals.html

Old 04-05-22, 08:17 PM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 66 Posts
I road at 5 weeks after complete knee replacement using a old set vintage flat peddles. I am glad I did as each time I stopped i was never sure which foot i was going to put down first. As my balance is still not good and stopping was more difficult than before surgery. Also I found it was more difficult to ride slow. Knee did not bother me at all but I kept it all on flat land. I had just started on a cane so i gave the bike a try. I am 81
Ed
Old 04-07-22, 09:24 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
I had massive reconstructive knee surgery (according to my surgeon, I tore just about every ligament in there) 48 years ago. I've found it very important to have my cleats (SPD-SLs) professionally set to eliminate rotation in my knee while pedaling. I recently switched to the Speedplay system. It was much easier to set my cleats, since the 'float' is controlled by stop screws. I started with max float, and gradually tightened it up to where I am now (about 5 degrees float.) I've found clipping in and out to be much easier than my SPDs, which I still use on my indoor trainer bike with Zwift.