Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New paint on steel frame?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-22, 11:57 AM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 112 Posts

Hello,
I am thinking on doing some minor repair on a Tange 1 frame (by bike shop) and maybe get a new fresh paint on it.
I was reading the internet about sandblasting frame for powder coat = will remove some steel from frame and question is:
How safe is sandblasting the frame with such thin frame material? Did someone here do it before?
Thanks in advance!
Old 02-07-22, 12:03 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
It's fairly standard practice for the powder coaters I've worked with to sandblast frames. I haven't had a problem with it.

For frames I painted myself I've used chemical stripper followed by sanding. The sanding will also take some small bit of material off. The amount it removes is unmeasurable. I think in either case you'd have to be fairly reckless to remove enough steel to cause problems.
Old 02-07-22, 12:07 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
You might ask around your local places about the media they would use. I found a place here in the Bay Area that uses glass beads, which are supposedly gentler on steel frames. Very happy with the results — you can see them in my Eisentraut thread.
Old 02-07-22, 12:11 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4679 Post(s)
Liked 5,797 Times in 2,282 Posts
Originally Posted by phtomita
Hello,
I am thinking on doing some minor repair on a Tange 1 frame (by bike shop) and maybe get a new fresh paint on it.
I was reading the internet about sandblasting frame for powder coat = will remove some steel from frame and question is:
How safe is sandblasting the frame with such thin frame material? Did someone here do it before?
Thanks in advance!
This comes up from time to time by newer members, it's "well ploughed" territory. I've had dozens of frames powder coated over the last few years. Media blasting is always done, as it removes rust and roughens the frame for good adhesion. I've used 5 different powder coaters, all of them had experience working on bicycle frames. Note that wet painted frames get the exact same pre-treatment, it's no different.

I started a thread awhile back to track powder coaters that forumites have used successfully and can vouch for the quality of their work. You'll see three of them in driving distance from you.
Old 02-07-22, 12:14 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Most painters refer to this as media blast, not sand blast. It will remove previous paint and surface rust from the frame. If the frame is in good shape to begin with, I would not worry about this process affecting the integrity of the frame.
Old 02-07-22, 12:16 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4679 Post(s)
Liked 5,797 Times in 2,282 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
You might ask around your local places about the media they would use. I found a place here in the Bay Area that uses glass beads, which are supposedly gentler on steel frames. Very happy with the results — you can see them in my Eisentraut thread.
I've used 5 different powder coaters in the last few years. I've been satisfied with all of them, had to change when one went out of business, another moved, others were shipped out.

They each used a different media. I believe it's much more important to control the pressure and angle than the media itself.
Old 02-07-22, 05:17 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
As gugie said the blasting media should not be a concern with an experienced coater and you want someone experienced with lugged frames as I have seen them too heavy with a loss of detail and have one that is too thin with the frame color through showing through the yellow at the lugs.
Old 02-07-22, 06:16 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 818 Posts
I finished putting what I thought would be the final coat of paint on my Fuji Ace frameset yesterday. However, I do have to go back and do another spray on a couple of areas where the coverage is not quite enough. Yes, it is a rattle can spray job. This is, I believe, the third time I have actually stripped it to bare metal. I also partially sanded it down a couple of times to "fix" some areas of a couple of bad coats I had done. My "fixes" just made it worse. A couple of areas around the head tube and seat tubing cluster, mostly the lug lines, had some surface rust the first time I stripped it, and those areas did lose a bit of definition. I do not notice it now without really looking closely. Also, the serial number on the underside of the bb is a bit hard to see now. Other than that, all good.

It is kind of crazy for me to do it this many times, but I had never painted a bike before and I really messed it up a couple of times. I think I got it right this time. I had a couple of bikes powder coated a couple of years ago, and that is likely what I would do again if I have a next frameset to refinish. I was not going to do the Fuji again, but I am sometimes hard headed, and I needed a project. I think I finally got it right. Now to just let it sit for a couple of weeks before I rebuild.

Now I just need to decide whether or not to purchase and install new decals. Fuji Ace set is about $35, just plain Fuji decals can be found for around $10 with choice of color. If I decide to go with decals, it will likely be the Ace set. It is not going to be anywhere near original, but I like the Ace decals.

Last edited by delbiker1; 02-07-22 at 06:19 PM.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 02-08-22, 12:02 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Not a problem if the frame is in reasonably good shape and not rotting from within (or without, for that matter).

Some details from a media-blasted frame done by a Portland area outfit follow.

Half the original chrome was gone, so the remainder was blasted off; the pitting was present before the blast:

Extremely clean results on the rear dropouts:

DD
Old 02-08-22, 12:03 AM
phtomita

Originally Posted by gugie
This comes up from time to time by newer members, it's "well ploughed" territory. I've had dozens of frames powder coated over the last few years. Media blasting is always done, as it removes rust and roughens the frame for good adhesion. I've used 5 different powder coaters, all of them had experience working on bicycle frames. Note that wet painted frames get the exact same pre-treatment, it's no different.

I started a thread awhile back to track powder coaters that forumites have used successfully and can vouch for the quality of their work. You'll see three of them in driving distance from you.
Thank you, this is very helpful
Likes For phtomita:
Old 02-08-22, 12:05 AM
phtomita

Thank you all, now is what color to choose
Seattle Powder Coat is the one I was looking and is along the Burke Gilman trail I rode many times.

Last edited by phtomita; 02-08-22 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-09-22, 01:47 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
A comment about media blasting......I prefer glass beads or walnut shells....the later must be cleaned with acetone or something that will clean the oil from the frame. Sometime the "sand" has too much teeth and can really cause problems with the fine detailing on the frame. JMO,
Might be a members bike so please take no offense.
Best, Ben

Looks rough and will require a lot of clean-up work or heavy paint to make right. Imagine what it would be like on a bike with fine lug work.

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Last edited by xiaoman1; 02-09-22 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-09-22, 10:23 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
Well, if you take it to some joint that sandblasts construction equipment, you might end up with a coarse blast like above, but any frame finisher would not accept that quality, as it would mean far too much afterwork for them. Frames have been sand-blasted for generations, and media-blasted for decades, so it is nothing to worry about structurally. Here's a shot of mine, after blasting and before powder-coating:

Fredo before powder-coating
Old 02-10-22, 06:58 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 818 Posts
I have had 2 bikes powder coated, but I stripped and sanded the framesets myself. The last step before cleaning was wet sanding with 800 grit paper. The cleaning was Dawn detergent and a blue scotch-brite, rinse well and let dry, finally wiping it all off with acetone. The fellow that did the coating said the job I did was excellent, but I never asked him if it still had to be blasted or prepped in any other way, and if not, does that make the cost lower to me. I never thought about either until getting more learning more about the process. I guess if I have him do another at any time, I will ask those questions. The stripping and sanding is not that hard, but it is time consuming and tiring.
Old 02-10-22, 07:41 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
Well, if you take it to some joint that sandblasts construction equipment, you might end up with a coarse blast like above, but any frame finisher would not accept that quality, as it would mean far too much afterwork for them. Frames have been sand-blasted for generations, and media-blasted for decades, so it is nothing to worry about structurally. Here's a shot of mine, after blasting and before powder-coating:

Fredo before powder-coating
that side clover cutout still visible after powdercoating?
Old 02-10-22, 08:18 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
that side clover cutout still visible after powdercoating?

powder-coating fine detail

Sure is! The guy who did it also builds steel frames. https://olearypowdercoating.com