Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 05-18-22, 09:04 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
With concerns over obsolescence with sram 11spd etap, would you avoid upgrading a mech shifted road bike using that? I was tempted by used prices and the wireless aspect for ease of upgrade and fact I could keep the Shimano/SRAM wheelsets I have.

I have a rim brake Giant Propel that I despise the shift feel on due to wonky OEM and my personal tries at recabling it. It shifts fine now, but I think I would keep it a good while longer if I converted it to electronic.

The semi wireless new Shimano 12spd Ultegra is a bit spendy for a rim brake upgrade IMO.

I'm thinking trying to find a used Ultegra 11spd rim brake shift kit is my best bet.
Old 05-18-22, 10:24 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
carpediemracing I wonder if a costco near you is looking for a manager for their automotive ish. Could be a good fit. They seem to take care of their workers.
Thanks for thinking of me. I was thinking of them but they only do tires, although I did submit an application (because they have a lot of other things they do). And you're right, they seem to be good to their employees.

I think it's time for an industry change, meaning *I* need to make a change. I applied to a few places already but today I actually met with a potential employer. If it happens it's a couple months out so won't know for a while. Position / company sounds like it ticks my boxes so we'll see. This is the first one where I felt like, oh, this would be nice.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 05-18-22, 10:31 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
With concerns over obsolescence with sram 11spd etap, would you avoid upgrading a mech shifted road bike using that? I was tempted by used prices and the wireless aspect for ease of upgrade and fact I could keep the Shimano/SRAM wheelsets I have.

I have a rim brake Giant Propel that I despise the shift feel on due to wonky OEM and my personal tries at recabling it. It shifts fine now, but I think I would keep it a good while longer if I converted it to electronic.

The semi wireless new Shimano 12spd Ultegra is a bit spendy for a rim brake upgrade IMO.

I'm thinking trying to find a used Ultegra 11spd rim brake shift kit is my best bet.
I love my eTap 11, I have it on both my road bikes. As far as the batteries and other tech going bad in 10 years, that´s a possibility, but tbh I would be fine charging it nightly if need be. The batteries last me a while, I only charge them every 2 weeks.
Old 05-18-22, 10:46 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
My company has an unofficial No Meetings on Fridays policy.

But all that means is that Fridays are the days I can actually schedule all the meetings I NEED to have each week. (My computer recently let me know that I am averaging 35 hours a week in meetings. So, that's nice.)
Old 05-18-22, 02:40 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,569 Posts
burnthesheep and furiousferret I think they made the new 12 speed AXS blip boxes backwards compatible w 11 speed with a recent firmware update. That was the big pinch point. A buddy one mine also runs etap 11 on the TT rig (like me) and has the new AXS box on his bike. Or at least he did at the TT last weekend.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-19-22, 01:50 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Trying to psych myself up for tonight's workout: 6x5' vo2max intervals. It's not the workout so much as the conditions:

Today
Sunny, with a high near 91. North northwest wind 18 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-19-22, 09:55 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

yikes. that's a lot of time in zone too. how'd it go caloso?

double ride day for me. 1 hr MTB in the AM. After work, I rode home (~10 mi) then hopped on Zwift for about 70 minutes. I rode a 28 km A race (Neokyo crit) and made the front group but lost internet connection at 1.2 miles to go, lol. After I rode to Fuego Flats in Watopia and put in a ~9.5 minute dig at 4.6 w/kg to go for the KOM. Got 2nd, but still I was happy with my power/RPE ratio after having a good effort in the legs already.
Old 05-19-22, 10:01 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Selling the old ass Crockett and going modern. I enjoy logging gravel miles for z2/tempo and even some threshold stuff when riding "in town". I can just keep a much steadier burn going without all the stop signs, lights, turns, and such.

Given that, I wanted a nice cross bike. Modern electronic, fancy, slicker slightly aero look.

Got a 2020 TCX Pro 0, Quarq on the way. Nicest spd pedals on way. It was ridden once by a guy who bought a few bikes to race cross........as a 4/5 master's category guy......who wound up not liking racing cross. So, good price, next to zero miles on it. Local test ride and purchase. Really nice guy. Worked out for both of us! It's got the fancy modern 40mm deep cross wheels on it also. Hnnnnggg..
Out of curiosity what size Crockett? Price?

I bought a used giant tcx (alum) which turned out to have a cracked chainstay. Seller worked with me to get a warranty since I'd never even ridden it. Ended up with a tcx advanced sx frame that I rebuilt with the old parts. Yet to ride it on actual gravel. I think I've only ridden it out twice and it's been built for a year and a half. Ugh.
Old 05-19-22, 11:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Shoot, I just realized that I did a training post in the chitchat thread. Oh well. It sucked but I finished. I couldn’t have done one more, so that’s probably a good sign.
Old 05-20-22, 08:33 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Out of curiosity what size Crockett? Price?

I bought a used giant tcx (alum) which turned out to have a cracked chainstay. Seller worked with me to get a warranty since I'd never even ridden it. Ended up with a tcx advanced sx frame that I rebuilt with the old parts. Yet to ride it on actual gravel. I think I've only ridden it out twice and it's been built for a year and a half. Ugh.
Meeting a local Sunday. It's old, it's like a 2014 or 2015. $750. I'd hate to go thru trouble to ship something at that price, versus just make it single speed and keep it if it doesn't sell local. If you understand, I see you location listed on BF says New Jersey?
Old 05-21-22, 01:05 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Just need a semi-neutral place to vent on this stuff in Austin. I understand it's a tragedy all around. I know NOTHING about the people directly involved. This is internet speculation but... 1. I fear they won't be able to arrest Kaitlin or find her alive. 2. The fact that she is from Austin and her last name is Armstrong and she has left a horrible mark on cycling isn't lost on me. 3. I believe Colin is way more involved that he is trying to make is seem. No he didn't pull the trigger but he's a class A d***** canoe and I feel his actions preyed on some individuals with questionable mental health stability. 4. I feel like everyone who excels at "professional" cycling is pre-disposed to having mental health concerns that just aren't being acknowledged, addressed, or helped/treated. 5. I feel like there's more to all of this and it's all just going to get worse (if that's even possible).

Old 05-21-22, 06:35 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Just need a semi-neutral place to vent on this stuff in Austin. I understand it's a tragedy all around. I know NOTHING about the people directly involved. This is internet speculation but... 1. I fear they won't be able to arrest Kaitlin or find her alive. 2. The fact that she is from Austin and her last name is Armstrong and she has left a horrible mark on cycling isn't lost on me. 3. I believe Colin is way more involved that he is trying to make is seem. No he didn't pull the trigger but he's a class A d***** canoe and I feel his actions preyed on some individuals with questionable mental health stability. 4. I feel like everyone who excels at "professional" cycling is pre-disposed to having mental health concerns that just aren't being acknowledged, addressed, or helped/treated. 5. I feel like there's more to all of this and it's all just going to get worse (if that's even possible).
​​​​​​
For point 4, this is true of basically all professional athletes, and doubly true of individual sports, and triple true of sports where you have to enjoy suffering in order to be good.

​​​​
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 05-23-22, 07:05 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Point No. 3 crossed my mind too when reading the stories of the weekend. He seems like a real POS.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 05-24-22, 10:15 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Meeting a local Sunday. It's old, it's like a 2014 or 2015. $750. I'd hate to go thru trouble to ship something at that price, versus just make it single speed and keep it if it doesn't sell local. If you understand, I see you location listed on BF says New Jersey?
No problemo! Hope it's gone.
Old 05-24-22, 10:46 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

No problemo! Hope it's gone.
He bought it, cash. I threw in some barely used tires I would never use just given my preference on what I like. And a 1x 11spd chainring. I feel it was a price both good for the current inflated market but also for me.
Old 05-29-22, 07:52 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

He bought it, cash. I threw in some barely used tires I would never use just given my preference on what I like. And a 1x 11spd chainring. I feel it was a price both good for the current inflated market but also for me.
Awesome!

I have a charge plug for a commuter that I picked up used on Facebook from a guy moving back to Texas. I just found an old set of 10 speed Shimano 105 stuff I had sitting around.

Honestly debating if I want to replace the Claris on the bike with the old 105 stuff or just keep using whats on there... If I put on the 105 stuff I'll probably have to get an mtb rear derailleur to make things work and possibly a new crankset...

Eh. Probably best to just keep it simple for the commuter...
Old 05-31-22, 09:57 AM
carpediemracing 

Ah. Got the Covid. Son tested positive Friday - he woke up with a fever (100F, normally 98F). His school with about 240 students had about 45-50 positives a couple weeks prior, and the numbers were going up. I tested positive Sunday morning when I woke up feeling like I got hit by a truck - headache, coughing, feverish (but no fever, if that makes any sense). And son's teacher tested positive as well.

The Missus has avoided it so far.

I forgot I had an O2 saturation meter, something I got when my dad was here. After speaking with my doctor I checked, I'm a few points low - 95-97 vs 98. I almost never got 99% even when healthy - the Missus and Junior would get 99%, I'd get 98%.

So far I've only been super exhausted, delirious basically, very low fever (but feeling really feverish, like I'd swear I had a 102F fever but I'm at about 97-98F, 97F is normal for me). Low hunger but still eating. Some chest congestion. Headache from congestion (as far as I can tell).

Son seems totally fine. He was feverish and super fatigued for a day or two, but now seems totally fine.

Vaxed and one boost. Son was vaxed as well (he's 10). Missus vaxed and boosted.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-31-22, 10:04 AM
caloso

Hope that this is as bad as it gets for you, CDR. My mom just tested positive. She's 84. Pre-vaccine, it could have been a death sentence, but so far, it's just been like a bad cold. So far, my dad has managed to avoid it.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-31-22, 04:57 PM
carpediemracing 

I'm hoping it's nothing major, obviously. I'm just hoping that there are no long term issues. Or really big short term ones.

Ironically it's given me a week off from work, and that in and of itself is a huge benefit.
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 06-01-22, 06:18 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Geez, get well soon everybody and good luck. It does seem to be making the round right now. Half of my team was out last week with it or due to being a CC.
Old 06-01-22, 09:32 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
We have an outbreak at work, like 10% of the staff have it, and they're still having us come in despite working from home for 2 years. I have yet to 'technically' get it, but twice tested negative with all the symptoms.

I'm not going to rock the boat about it, but our management's opinion of COVID is drastically different from many of our employees.
Old 06-01-22, 01:12 PM
carpediemracing 

Our work is very good so that's not an issue. But I think in general many people are treating this pretty casually and I think that's not a good thing. But the Missus's business partner, for example, lives with her mom and the mom has basically the list of high risk factors. So they've been super cautious about social distancing, to the point that I think they had one client in their office since it started. And the Missus hasn't been in the office at the same time as the partner since last Friday.

This morning I was coughing pretty heavily and the O2 saturation meter read 91%, just about the threshold for calling the doc. Went back up but that was a bit worrisome. Actually the Missus checked this morning while I was semi-conscious, and I think she was more scared than I was. Still have chest pains related to congestion I think, but O2 saturation went back up. So hopefully it's just "normal" congestion.
Old 06-01-22, 02:27 PM
caloso

My wife and I are going to a concert tonight. It's in an amphitheater, but I'm thinking of wearing an KF-94 regardless.
Old 06-02-22, 10:43 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Yeah, definitely making the rounds right now. A lot of family have tested positive recently or been exposed. I should probably take a test. Might go do that now since there's a wedding we're going to tomorrow slash this weekend.

Originally Posted by caloso
My wife and I are going to a concert tonight. It's in an amphitheater, but I'm thinking of wearing an KF-94 regardless.
Had to look up KF-94 haha.
Old 06-03-22, 06:23 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
So someone I know loaned me some superteam carbon wheels 60/90. The wheels have gp4000 tires while I have gp5000s on my stock wheels on my Allez (axis sport house brand). I did a ride today while visiting my parents and for 205w/215np I did 19.4mph, while a similar ride I did in May while visiting where I also averaged 205/215np with my stock wheels was also 19.4mph.

I ran a windsock report for the two and conditions were similar. So really no difference lol I’ve come to believe aero wheels aren’t that much better and kind of overrated, so this is kind of reinforcing. I’d like to do more direct A/B testing on a loop back to back doing the same power and what not but it’s interesting to see how close they really are. If it saves money, great lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.