Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Stages Bike SB20 Smart Bike

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 08-21-21, 03:58 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts

Does anyone have a Stages Smart Bike. I am looking for real world owner experiences positive and negatives. I am seriously considering versus having to swapping bikes\cassettes around on my Kickr between my bike and my wife's bike.

Old 08-21-21, 07:39 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,170 Times in 682 Posts
maybe a second kicker? don't really know how much a smart bike costs so just a thought.
Old 08-21-21, 08:10 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by spelger
maybe a second kicker? don't really know how much a smart bike costs so just a thought.
Yea that is plan B, I really don't have the room for a second one where my current Kickr is which is my office, but would have to do massive rearranging of my work systems which would really be a pain.

Old 08-22-21, 06:00 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
I got a Stages SB20 prior to last winter and I find it to be excellent. It’s extremely solid and stable, and it integrates very easily with Zwift, Sufferfest, etc. the only very minor complaint, which you’ll probably see mentioned in any reviews is the shifter buttons are a bit lacking in tactile feel/feedback or a gear display. But after using them a few times, I got used to them and they faded into something I don’t really think about. I use mine with an iPad Pro and my iPhone and it’s nice having secure places for each while riding, including built in usb charging so they remain fully charged when I’m done. I can’t really say anything bad about the SB20, it’s reliable and performs exactly as I’d expect it to.
Old 08-22-21, 09:29 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
I got a Stages SB20 prior to last winter and I find it to be excellent. It’s extremely solid and stable, and it integrates very easily with Zwift, Sufferfest, etc. the only very minor complaint, which you’ll probably see mentioned in any reviews is the shifter buttons are a bit lacking in tactile feel/feedback or a gear display. But after using them a few times, I got used to them and they faded into something I don’t really think about. I use mine with an iPad Pro and my iPhone and it’s nice having secure places for each while riding, including built in usb charging so they remain fully charged when I’m done. I can’t really say anything bad about the SB20, it’s reliable and performs exactly as I’d expect it to.

Cool, thank you very much.

Old 09-03-21, 09:30 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by NumbersGuy

Ordered by Smart bike today while it was on sale. Really excited to get it and give it whirl.

Old 09-03-21, 10:18 PM
spelger

hope you love it. that is something that needs to be in the house, unlike my kicker which needs to be used in the sweltering in summer, freezing in winter garage.
Old 09-04-21, 04:40 PM
jaxgtr

Yep, will be putting in the same spot where my Kickr resides now in my bike room\office.

Old 09-05-21, 11:26 AM
spelger

Bike room...
Old 09-06-21, 12:38 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by spelger
Bike room...
lol.... 2/3rd's office, 1/3rd bike room, 0% kid\guest bedroom. Gave our kids 1 move back, once they moved out a second time, that was it, your on your own. My wife took one room for her craft room, I took the other for my work and trainer setup.

Old 09-07-21, 04:46 PM
jaxgtr

So the owner of the LBS I bought the stages bike through, actually drove to St. Pete, FL to pick the thing up. There was a large fitness equipment store going into Bankruptcy and Stages did not want to have to wait for their product and then only get pennies on the dollar, so they were collecting them to put into the system. So they told him to drive to the warehouse 4 hrs south of where we are and he picked up 2. 1 for me and 1 for him. He said he is thinking about bringing some into the store. That is customer service right there. The best part is that I did not have to pay shipping or freight since he drove down to get it. In the past I brought him and his workers some ribs for being a great shop, I told him I would get the smoker going Friday and get him some ribs on Saturday.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-28-21, 10:50 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Just bought the SB20. The SB20 seems to be the best option as both a serious smartbike for me and something my wife and daughter can use more casually. I'm going to be using this for structured training and high intensity stuff.
Old 12-15-21, 08:30 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I received the bike a few days ago and I've ridden about 60 miles on this bike so far. It's rock solid physically, it's not going anywhere and there's zero flex to anything. The flywheel is massive. The bike uses commercial gym quality sizing adjustment so if you have multiple users of the bike, readjusting the fit is super easy and reliable. As the SB20 uses a Gates belt drive, it runs silently. The virtual shifting and braking works well. I bought an Android tablet to run Zwift, I'm not using a PC/Mac or Apple TV. The tablet connection has been completely reliable so far.

The Stages Link app works well for setup of the bike, I'm not sure how often I need to re-calibrate the crankarms but it was a simple process to do so. I use the Stages recommended setup for Zwift: left crankarm for power/cadence and Stages bike for "Controllable". The Bluetooth connectionin Zwift is a little finicky to set up as the "Controllable" trainer has trouble being recognized by Zwift. Thankfully, there's a small trick that works every time: connect the Stages bike for power/cadence and controllable, then disconnect the bike for power and cadence and connect the left crankarm for both. This is a weird glitch, but at least it only takes a few seconds to fix and the fix works every time.

I recommend the Stages bike. It's an expensive way to use Zwift/TrainerRoad/Whatever but I think it's worth the money if you plan to ride a lot indoors.