Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A bike should neither appear nor disappear

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-24-22, 04:15 AM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 84 Posts

Ok hear me out.

When we are riding around on our little bikes and they, along with much else, disappear from our attention, we are likely trapped in thought, riding on autopilot, not really there, until something out of the pattern appears. We all know which types of routes and conditions particularly promote that kind of cycling. The bike effectively disappears.

On the contrary, we may be out there and contort in discomfort because we are on the wrong type of saddle, have general positional bike fit issues, or hear a dry chain or that mysterious intermittent clicking that has us oh so interested. The bike stands out causing some sort of issue or niggle, it appears.

Both of these are not terribly safe options, riding under a spell or frequently looking down at the derailleurs seriously hinder spatial awareness, dare I say enjoyment.

It would follow that ideally, a bicycle should neither appear in the mind by standing out through misfit related discomfort or mechanicals that preventative maintenance could have avoided, and likewise should never disappear along with the rest of the ride behind a veil of thought fog.

Riding with a neither appearing nor disappearing bike feels alert and alive. Many know it.

For those who haven't ridden such a paradoxical bike in a while, one that's just there along with all the rest around us in equal standing, this may be the place to share what worked well for people here. What I found helpful was frequently exploring new routes and finding them from referencing and memorising a map or landmarks prior to the ride, no GPS. Or riding routes with varied surfaces and terrain at a good pace that demands proactive bike handling within a reasonable safety margin. Eliminating or cutting down technology distractions whilst riding. Getting a professional bike fit with subsequent hardware changes and adjustments to avoid short term discomfort or long term injuries. Being picky about the exact fit of clothing. Keeping on top of maintenance for a trustworthy and predictable bike setup. Not resisting or stressing about aspects of the ride I can't change. Setting slightly ridiculous riding targets, like longer distances or intimidating climbs, and just doing it, and managing things as they are met.

Do you know the type of bike I am talking about, and how do you find it?
Old 03-24-22, 04:52 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Transparent Aluminum is the next big thing in frame material.
Likes For znomit:
Old 03-24-22, 05:03 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I find that my bikes tend to disappear only after I carefully and painstakingly balance my wheels.
Old 03-24-22, 05:16 AM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
I find that my bikes tend to disappear only after I carefully and painstakingly balance my wheels.
Old 03-24-22, 05:40 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
…Do you know the type of bike I am talking about, and how do you find it?
Yes, I have 5 of them and they’re all in my head.
Old 03-24-22, 05:56 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
I don't know about my bikes disappearing, but I have Strava Beacon in the event I disappear my wife can find me before having the authorities launch a silver alert.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 03-24-22, 06:09 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,190 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Transparent Aluminum is the next big thing in frame material.
"How do we know he didna invent it?"
Likes For ls01:
Old 03-24-22, 06:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Hello. What's this thread about?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-24-22, 06:40 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
I worry about my bike disappearing if I leave it out on the front porch too long.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 03-24-22, 06:41 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I was wondering the same thing. Looks like someone ingested or inhaled something that was psychoactive.

My 3 bikes never disappear - they are in my head and in my basement.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 03-24-22, 06:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
I do not know of the type of bike you are talking about.
The ideal bike has always been described as one which disappears under the rider and you dont think about it.

As for zoning out on a ride, sure I have done that. Autopilot can happen, but that is due to much more than the bike(route, weather, thoughts all need to be ideal). Having a GPS computer in front of me keeps me engaged because I look at current speed, current grade, how far to my next turn, etc.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-24-22, 07:03 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The ideal bike has always been described as one which disappears under the rider and you dont think about it.

As for zoning out on a ride, sure I have done that. Autopilot can happen, but that is due to much more than the bike(route, weather, thoughts all need to be ideal). Having a GPS computer in front of me keeps me engaged because I look at current speed, current grade, how far to my next turn, etc.
Mine is due to too much **** going on in my head. It's never dangerous though.

Last edited by cb400bill; 03-24-22 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-24-22, 07:05 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by eduskator
My 3 bikes never disappear - they are in my head and in my basement.
One night 11+ years ago someone stole a bike out of my house while I was home and awake. I have not seen it since.
Old 03-24-22, 07:06 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by mstateglfr

Mine is due to too much **** going on in my head. It's never dangerous though.
Old 03-24-22, 09:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
WTF ...it'll be awhile before, if ever I reach the zen level to understand what this is about much longer to understand what it means.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-24-22, 10:02 AM
bahula03

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Schrödinger had a cat, suppose it stands to reason he would/would not have a bicycle as well
Likes For bahula03:
Old 03-24-22, 10:05 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
The bike stands out causing some sort of issue or niggle, it appears.
Niggle, please...
Old 03-24-22, 10:59 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
When we are riding around on our little bikes and they, along with much else, disappear from our attention, we are likely trapped in thought, riding on autopilot, not really there, until something out of the pattern appears. We all know which types of routes and conditions particularly promote that kind of cycling. The bike effectively disappears.
My bike never fully disappears, likely because I have not attained -- and may never attain -- the level of cycling skills many of you do.

Originally Posted by yaw
On the contrary, we may be out there and contort in discomfort because we are on the wrong type of saddle, have general positional bike fit issues, or hear a dry chain or that mysterious intermittent clicking that has us oh so interested. The bike stands out causing some sort of issue or niggle, it appears.

Both of these are not terribly safe options, riding under a spell or frequently looking down at the derailleurs seriously hinder spatial awareness, dare I say enjoyment.
These issues I have largely dealt with through diligent maintenance, obsessive tinkering, and (last but not least) frequent shopping for bike components.

Originally Posted by yaw
It would follow that ideally, a bicycle should neither appear in the mind by standing out through misfit related discomfort or mechanicals that preventative maintenance could have avoided, and likewise should never disappear along with the rest of the ride behind a veil of thought fog.

Riding with a neither appearing nor disappearing bike feels alert and alive. Many know it.
I know it, and Mazda knows it too! Jinba Ittai | Inside Mazda (mazdausa.com) It is a little cliché, but apt.
Old 03-24-22, 11:41 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
It’s important that nothing is uncomfortable and nothing makes mechanical sounds. Otherwise - whatever. 🤷

​​​​​​If I'm doing an easy ride I'll often be thinking about something or another, typically not the bike. If I'm doing intervals I will often think about reaching the next signpost and then the next, or look at power or just shut off mentally. Sometimes I'll notice how lovely the bike is or how something is off and needs tinkering with.
Old 03-24-22, 12:17 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by bahula03
Schrödinger had a cat, suppose it stands to reason he would/would not have a bicycle as well
I have a Schrödinger bike. It's a superposition of a road bike and a gravel bike, but it becomes one or the other every time I ride it.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-24-22, 12:48 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
Ok hear me out.

For those who haven't ridden such a paradoxical bike in a while, one that's just there along with all the rest around us in equal standing, this may be the place to share what worked well for people here. What I found helpful was frequently exploring new routes and finding them from referencing and memorising a map or landmarks prior to the ride, no GPS. Or riding routes with varied surfaces and terrain at a good pace that demands proactive bike handling within a reasonable safety margin. Eliminating or cutting down technology distractions whilst riding. Getting a professional bike fit with subsequent hardware changes and adjustments to avoid short term discomfort or long term injuries. Being picky about the exact fit of clothing. Keeping on top of maintenance for a trustworthy and predictable bike setup. Not resisting or stressing about aspects of the ride I can't change. Setting slightly ridiculous riding targets, like longer distances or intimidating climbs, and just doing it, and managing things as they are met.

See Rules 6 and 65.
https://www.velominati.com/
Likes For downtube42:
Old 03-24-22, 12:53 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Metaphysics
Likes For datlas:
Old 03-24-22, 12:59 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Niggle, please...
If I had a niggle for every time someone said that to me....
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-24-22, 01:02 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
ok hear me out.

Both of these are not terribly safe options, riding under a spell or frequently looking down at the derailleurs seriously hinder spatial awareness, dare i say enjoyment.

For those who haven't ridden such a paradoxical bike in a while, one that's just there along with all the rest around us in equal standing, this may be the place to share what worked well for people here. What i found helpful was frequently exploring new routes and finding them from referencing and memorising a map or landmarks prior to the ride, no gps. Or riding routes with varied surfaces and terrain at a good pace that demands proactive bike handling within a reasonable safety margin. Eliminating or cutting down technology distractions whilst riding. Getting a professional bike fit with subsequent hardware changes and adjustments to avoid short term discomfort or long term injuries. Being picky about the exact fit of clothing. Keeping on top of maintenance for a trustworthy and predictable bike setup. Not resisting or stressing about aspects of the ride i can't change. Setting slightly ridiculous riding targets, like longer distances or intimidating climbs, and just doing it, and managing things as they are met.

Do you know the type of bike i am talking about, and how do you find it?
^^^this is your brain on drugs
Old 03-24-22, 02:33 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 311 Posts
As my fitness improves, I have moments where I "space out" on some climbs that had felt arduous a week or so prior. I get to the top, and then I realize that there was no involvement mentally, almost a sensation of waking up.

The visual perception of the hills will change as my fitness improves also. They just don't look as steep or long as before. I "space out" because I no longer have the same (real and/or perceived) physical exertion that I once associated with that particular climb, if I maintain the same prior speed of course.

It is a little pleasurable indicator that my fitness is improving. My internal dialogue is like, "I didn't even remember coming up this hill!" Of course I did, but I didn't at the same time. Good stuff.
Likes For Erzulis Boat:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.